1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hardtail stratocaster build question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by medownsouth, Jan 11, 2021.

1. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Hello all, I’m about to attempt assembly of this stratocaster. The bridge has holes pre-drilled for the ferrules but not the mounting screws, and the neck is not drilled either.

In what order do I do those steps to make sure I get a good string alignment with the bridge and neck?

DFF561B7-A251-4CE1-AD51-5EBFC8AAF701.jpeg F31685F3-106A-49DA-B14C-229DE7E85926.jpeg AE15B711-070F-4B65-A00A-306E77D55093.jpeg

2. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Fit the neck onto the body, use a straight edge or a laser level to find the center line, measure your scale length, mark everything with blue tape.

Mount the neck first, as everything basically registers off of that.

3. medownsouth

Thanks! Here’s what I’m seeing when measuring scale length. So just mount the neck, and use as guide for bridge alignment?

C102806F-EEE9-4A07-8E61-7FA1139F6054.jpeg

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Ferrules go in the body holes, what bridge holes are drilled for ferrules?

medownsouth likes this.
  5. medownsouth

its a string thru hardtail, so ferrule holes on backside string holes on top

6. telemnemonics

If the body is drilled for ferrules you pretty much put the bridge where those holes are.
    Drilling holes in the neck is the same thing, you drill the neck where it lines up with the pocket.
    Can’t really drill the neck holes crooked to straighten neck to body alignment.

Are the parts good?
    Or iffy bargain imports?
    Some GFS bodies need plugging holes and relocating parts but in general good parts holes work, only real crap is drilled wrong.

medownsouth likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

Then assuming you did a quick check of the good parts, stick a tight fit drill bit in two string holes to line the bridge up and drill the mounting holes.

You need the bridge lined up with the string through holes.

medownsouth likes this.
  8. medownsouth

gotcha, alright thanks. Body: stratosphere fender licensed, neck: howellguitar. Both are quality

9. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Mock the entire thing up including the pickguard taped in place. Center the bridge on the centerline of the neck pocket and string thru holes. I have usually made the mid-point of the saddle travel to be 25-1/2" with success. Someone else might say that you should make the shortest saddle to back of bridge distance measure about 25-11/16". Then mount the neck and adjust for neck angle up and down and side to side when you have it strung up.

As far mounting the neck goes I like to use a scratch awl to mark the holes with the neck in the neck pocket. Then I use a neck plate as a template for the final layout of holes on the back of the neck. They should be spaced the same off the sides and square to the neck pocket. If you just put the neck in the pocket and drill there might be enough slop to make the holes all crooked and misaligned. They shouldn't have to be to work.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  10. telemnemonics

Neck holes I don’t like drilling that way (prefer factory jig drilled) but just clamp the neck in the pocket and drill through the body holes.
    If the neck fits loose in the pocket you may want to figure out where it lines up but we’re solving problems you didn’t say you have.

Maybe wrap a little painters tape around the pointy end of the bit so it centers in the holes, and also ensure you know your total depth so you don’t drill into the fretboard.
    Wrap tape in the direction it winds ON when drilling of course.

11. telemnemonics

Looks nice I prefer hardtail in Strats.
    What is that neck brand?

12. telemnemonics

I really didn’t include details on drilling holes in the neck.
    If bit size and why tape etc etc is unclear, just ask.
    Need the right size bit which is smaller than the body holes so will not self center.
    Then tape comes off after pilot holes mark neck, followed by finish drilling with depth markers etc, using body to keep drill from going off at an angle etc etc.

SRHmusic and medownsouth like this.
  13. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

14. medownsouth

15. medownsouth

I think I can handle that; dealing w/ noob builder problem 101 - bridge too big for scratch plate, having to remove material to accommodate

telemnemonics likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

17. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

with ferrules already drilled- drill out the string through holes, then line up the bridge and drill for its screws. then put a neck plate on the neck and mark and drill those holes in the neck. Then attach the bridge with 2 screws. put tuners and nut on neck. Get a c clamp and some wooden blocks and clamp the neck to the body. Run a high and low e string. move the neck to get it where you want it. once it is right use a nail to mark the neck hole screws and drill them. This is also a good time to look at saddles and see if you might need a shim etc.

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. medownsouth

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/greetings-from-ms.1008010/

Here is one installed. They are well built, and well finished necks. They play very well, its a C profile, but not the modern c - a little bit chunkier.

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

Really looks nice for $67!
    Did you shape the headstock yourself?
    Or that's one of their finished necks that are like $75?
    I go with $129 Allparts or lately Warmoth to get the full highest jumbo frets.
    Medium jumbo is around .047 high and Warmoth 6100 are .058 which makes enough different to my playing style.
    Those look really good for that price though.

20. medownsouth

I bought the 75, pre-finished & shaped. I'm sure you can get nicer from warmoth (I really like their warhead shape), but for up to 150-200ish you'll be hard pressed to beat one of these. I like the MJ frets, I tried jumbos one time, a little too much for my tastes. Next time you do a build, scope one - seller's great, accepts no question returns.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.