Hardtail Strat

Blackmore Fan

Friend of Leo's
Thanks. Alder body, allparts rosewood neck 7.25 radius. Hip shot locking tuners, Tex Mex pickups on faded mop pick guard.

I'm a huge believer in those Tex Mex pickups. They're so similar (to me) to the American Standard pickups that preceded the Fat 50s. They handle cleans well and take overdrive and distortion like a champ.

IowaTeleGuy

TDPRI Member
Picked up a Squier Bullet Strat HT during the end of the year sale

strat.jpg

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
To me, hardtail Strats are like a Tele with a different tonal flavor. Since I like to keep my Telecaster pretty much traditional, a hardtail Strat kind of gives me the best of both worlds.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I don’t often play a Strat, but when I do, it’s a hardtail.
Sounds like a beer commercial.;)
image.jpg

My MJT/Fender/Kinman partscaster.
It has a light one piece swamp ash body, Fender 1962 Hot Rod Strat neck (9.5 radius, bigger frets, bigger profile), Kinman noiseless pickups, master volume/switch.
The switch allows neck + bridge pickups when engaged in position 1 or 5.
It’s original owner put a regular Strat bridge plate on it.
I’ve left it, so far.
image.jpg

Great, lightweight guitar!

Last edited:

Censport

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Another advantage for hardtail Strats over decked tremelo Strats is no noise from the tremelo springs. Some of mine I can hear acoustically, and one through the amp. I've even stuck thin foam pads between the springs and the cover plate.

Not a problem for my hardtails.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
View attachment 1072967

It has a light one piece swamp ash body, Fender 1962 Hot Rod Strat neck (9.5 radius, bigger frets, bigger profile), Kinman noiseless pickups, master volume/switch.
I’ve left it, so far. View attachment 1072968

Stealth hardtail!

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Another advantage for hardtail Strats over decked tremelo Strats is no noise from the tremelo springs. Some of mine I can hear acoustically, and one through the amp. I've even stuck thin foam pads between the springs and the cover plate.

Have heard of people putting strips of foam inside each spring!

DHart

Poster Extraordinaire
Decades before the Tele even registered on my guitar playing radar I bought this 1976 blonde hard tail Strat. The year was 1976.
40624725602_10295beaeb_b.jpg

Still have it today.
39956908694_532dd92944_b.jpg

None of the Strats I've bought in recent years are hard tails, but they are all decked. Thinking I might "un-deck" one of them, just to try out some Beck-ish trem work.

Last edited:

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
View attachment 1072967

I’ve left it, so far. View attachment 1072968
That is my kind of a Stratocaster. No experience with Kinmans, but everything else looks awesome.

That Cal Webway

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
My plans are to get a Warmoth hardtail body, but with the bridge drilled out for the narrower spaced nos Fender Am Standard bridge.

Those bridges can be easily found.