Hardtail Strat

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Best of both worlds, for me:

Ash-Strato-Tele.jpg

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
I have a number of both trem and hardtail strats and I like them all for a variety of reasons. Most of my trem strats are fitted with vintage sounding pickups whereas the hardtails have hotter winds. It's nice to just switch things up for a while.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Telecaster ≠ Hard-tail Strat

have a Tele and a hard-tail Strat. Both are great, but very different.

Additionally, the hard-tail sounds different than a regular Strat. More bottom end and a fuller sound overall. More sustain IME.
^^^I have a hardtail Carvin S type and it doesn't sound like a Tele. I have to agree with the posters that say a hardtail sounds different than a Strat with trem. This hardtail does have the quack and chime of Strats with trems but somehow it's different sounding. Might be sustain, it's hard for me to discern.

I also threw in a pic of a Fender Parallel Universe Whiteguard Strat. That one sounds 100% Tele despite the body shape.

20200910_152356 (1).jpg
20210604_185305.jpg

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
i built a warmoth hardtail. whenever i play it, i miss the wiggle bar. lesson learnt, for me anyway.

it does not sound like a tele at all.

Mekhem

Tele-Afflicted
To Me - A HT strat absolutely sounds different than a tele - mainly because the pickups are different and the option to get the 2/4 and middle pickup sounds. But....

If you add a super switch/blend/toggle to get the Neck and bridge combo - you can almost get to tele teritory and If your tele has Twisted Tele pickups (based on strat pickups) then your Tele is about 98% a strat sound anyway. And then of course we have the Tele deluxe with a HT strat bridge, and the Nashville tele's.

I am not going to weigh in on the 'sound' of a HT vs Decked trem - but the play feel is different. A decked trem still 'feels' like it has a little give to it, a blocked trem less give but still there, and a HT is pretty close to Tele 'feel' - Decked > Blocked > HT > Tele...

Anyway - Yeah they are different but they can get real close depending on what you play.

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
for the dude who wants the tele sound with a more comfy body, squier makes a jazzmaster body with tele neck and pups. it sounds like a tele to me. parallel universe.

for a while i longed for a ht strat. mine are always decked. but i think i actually like the spring noise as part of the sound. i did eventually go from 5 springs to 3. if the claw is screwed in rather far, 3 springs is plenty to deck it. i prefer the sound of 3 springs to 5. smoother. i dont have an issue with stuning stability with it decked.

i love the feel of a tele in how well it sustains. and its just got this nice feel in how the strings resonate. but i like the body of a strat and the sounds of a strat better.

but i also prefer how out of the way a tele controls are. that 3rd strat knob bugs the heck out of me (closest one to strings) and i hit the switch sometimes in the 4th and 5th position.

a strat with master volume and tone makes more sense to me and some other kind of out of the way switch makes more sense.

Fender was a genius, but he didnt have people that strum long and hard in mind on most of his designs. like a jaguar will downright bloody my knuckles on certain songs. for more lead playing, the close switches are great.

Attachments

• A0FB2B8D-B36B-463D-A15E-4C25318BA0CD.jpeg
    A0FB2B8D-B36B-463D-A15E-4C25318BA0CD.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 17
  • B5B616D2-CF75-4BDB-82F6-8E197DD5EF8A.jpeg
    B5B616D2-CF75-4BDB-82F6-8E197DD5EF8A.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 8F978E3E-D920-4AC7-94E9-C4B49EDBD41C.jpeg
    8F978E3E-D920-4AC7-94E9-C4B49EDBD41C.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 13

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
I owned an American Standard Hardtail Stratocaster and wish that I never sold it.

I also never even installed a whammy bar on my Strats and all of mine are decked.

My American Standard Stratocaster was a great guitar that still sounds like a Stratocaster.

I’d definitely buy another hardtail Stratocaster and they seem to be priced a little cheaper than a traditional Stratocaster.
A slightly tangential post here but....
To ditto the previous message.... I still have my American hardtail (2005?), several decked strats, yes there is a difference in how they feel and sound. I just scored a 6pound Hardtail Squire contemporary hardtail online.... I have a neck for that body set aside and an "Everything Axe" pickguard ready to drop in when it arrives. That will be the weekend project. HT super strat goodness this weekend!

So for that neck...
The contemporary neck will get new tuners, the usual fret sprout and the neck rolling treatment that Squiers often need. I have a cut down Bullet body (jigsaw and orbital sander to remove mass, upper horn, over all width and re-sculpt the forearm curve. ) that I use for travel. The new contemporary neck will be the new neck for that travel rig, as the current neck for that has seen better days (a 90's korean superstrat neck). Two tuners will be relocated, as on an EB headstock, an after the nut locking mechanism is used to keep stings in place.

On that travel rig I use locking tuners, slack the strings and remove the neck bolts to collapse it into a carry on (Pelican 1510) with a Blackstar Fly and pedals Du Jour. - keeps me out of bars when I travel for many days. Also I play a bit of Rocksmith with it on the road using a $40 CubeBaby to direct monitor and connect USB instead of the Realtone. Takes way less time to set up that guitar than it takes to heat up the iron and get my first shirt pressed.

I keep a copy of the following printed with the guitar just in case:
49 U.S. Code § 41724 - Musical instruments
(a)In General.—
(1)Small instruments as carry-on baggage.—An air carrier providing air transportation shall permit a passenger to carry a violin, guitar, or other musical instrument in the aircraft cabin, without charging the passenger a fee in addition to any standard fee that carrier may require for comparable carry-on baggage, if—
(A)the instrument can be stowed safely in a suitable baggage compartment in the aircraft cabin or under a passenger seat, in accordance with the requirements for carriage of carry-on baggage or cargo established by the Administrator; and
(B)there is space for such stowage at the time the passenger boards the aircraft.

With it being in a Pelican case, if they take the case because it has wheels, it is just fine. Try as they might, those are very, very hard to mess up, and almost every part is replaceable. Current case is 10 years old, the one that it replaced (carry on sizes changed on some regional flights) was 20 years old then.

JeffBlue

Friend of Leo's
Here is my Warmoth hardtail build.
IMG_0333.jpg

Black Korina left-hand body modified for a right-hand player. Warmoth roasted Maple neck with Bloodwood fretboard and stainless steel frets, Seymour Duncan Phat Cat and JB trembucker pickups and Schaller roller bridge. Notice the where the volume control is, the mini toggle is a 3 way switch with two levels of treble roll off and the middle position is straight to the output jack.

HaWE

Tele-Holic
I think I'm up to five string-through hardtails now.

Aria Pro II, before clean up and setup.
M31IDqf.jpg

A weird no-name
ZipRVJT.jpg

Another Aria, before clean up
zOhfsZM.jpg

An early 80s lefty Korean copy with a one piece "ash" body
rMyiEHS.jpg

And another early 80s Korean copy
iiEkC4Y.jpg

Also had one of the Squier Affinity Hello Kitty models, which I was surprised to find are string-though
tFrjr7U.jpg

X4mAHtO.jpg

That one went to a new home after it was sold for three times what I paid!
I really like those natural finished strats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TequilaCaster

Tele-Holic
P.S.A.
Guitar Center has Squier Bullet Hard Tail Strats (SSS and HSS styles) on sale for $169, October 6th thru 26th, 2022. Great platforms for upgrades, but also great as is, after you sponge sand the rough fret/fretboard edges a wee bit, and oil up the dryish fretboard.

srblue5

Tele-Afflicted
One of the first Strats I ever tried out was an American Standard hardtail. I don't remember how it sounded compared to the other Strats I've tried/owned over the years but man that was a seriously nice sounding Strat.

I don't use the trem so I would LOVE to get a hardtail Strat and compare/contrast with my existing one with trem. Maybe someday (mod shop?).

justusberlin

TDPRI Member
love em, the one thing you all get wrong though is: the input jack belongs on the side! Strat.JPG
and if I am nitpicking: you are also all using the wrong scale length: 24.75 is where its at these days

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
I never use a whammy bar but the only real advantage to a hardtail strat is tuning stability- if you say want to tune to alternative tuning or something like that it takes longer with the tremolo bridge. The sound- I can't tell a difference and I've owned a 79 tremolo strat and a 79 hardtail and they sounded the same and played the same. Its a cool thing to have but in my mind a tremolo bridge or hardtail - either way its a strat. But yeah if you are a dedicated strat player- go for it.

Patton

Tele-Meister
Last of the Fullertons, my E3xx , 2 knob hard tail ....a very nice sounding/playing guitar,,,:)

I wonder how many of these were made?...
Well, at least two, I assure you.

83' strat.jpg
83' strat logo.jpg

I like the weird Fender logo on mine. I've seen it a couple other times. Mine's neck dated to mid-April 1983.

These Strat's from this era get a real bad rap, mostly because of the tremolo. No worries here!!

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
Here is my Warmoth hardtail build.
View attachment 1036475
Black Korina left-hand body modified for a right-hand player. Warmoth roasted Maple neck with Bloodwood fretboard and stainless steel frets, Seymour Duncan Phat Cat and JB trembucker pickups and Schaller roller bridge. Notice the where the volume control is, the mini toggle is a 3 way switch with two levels of treble roll off and the middle position is straight to the output jack.
That looks ALL kinds of wrong.