Hardest thing you can play? One you never got?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TelZilla, Jul 11, 2019.

1. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

schmee likes this.
  2. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I'm still trying to learn both the "Freebird" solo (no kidding....the fast one....I can play the intro on piano perfectly) and I'd still love to learn how to play both the lead and harmony solos in "Hotel California"!!!

Macrogats likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My most challenging tunes to play are Eric Johnson’s Dusty, and Tribute To Jerry Reed.
    I also do decent renditions of Johnny Smith’s Moonlight In Vermont, and Vince Guaraldi’s Christmas Time Is Here.
    These are my “recital pieces”.
    I labored over them all (lovingly) for decades.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    codamedia, nojazzhere and 4pickupguy like this.
  4. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

Albert Lee's (Head, Hands and Feet) "Country Boy", to name but one of many.

5. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Their are many licks that have took me much time to learn but maybe the hardest was Shawn Lanes in Grey Pianos Flying at around 2.22.

Also Cliffs of Dover the intro fast lick part took me much time maybe because i pick them instead of hybrid which i cant do to save my life.

Also their was a fast lick in Samba PaTi towards the end, around about 3.30 that was extremely hard with a few bends as well as very fast.

Obsessed likes this.
  6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Mike Stern's Tipatina's was a pain in the butt to learn. Had to use a slow-downer app to 'shed on it for quite awhile. We had a sax player in our band
    who really wanted to do this song so I grinded on it and eventually got it all down. It actually isn't that hard...but it takes a while. Some of the fingerpicking
    examples posted earlier are neurologically and physically more difficult, IMO....getting the thumb to play right on the beat while the fingers are picking out chords and melody is actually
    more challenging than what is essentially single note picking, albeit fast.

As a teenager I really wanted to play Van Halen's Eruption. I was able to fake a lot of it but never really got the whole thing....nor, to be honest, did I really
    try all that hard. Now I've moved on and am not particularly interested given I play in a funk band these days. But if I did learn it correctly it sure would
    be fun to be able to throw that one out in a Guitar Center sometime. Everybody needs some cool licks to be able to casually bust out in GC, right?

7. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Brent Mason's hotwired. I spent 2 years getting up to speed on that and then watch YouTube to find out my positioning was wrong. Then I had to learn it all over.

Sounds Good likes this.
  8. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I just play songs with my band when they come up. Some signature stuff is tricky , but not too often , thank....someone !
    I'm ok with stuff being somewhat close , I really don't care.
    I have never learned someone else's solos. Mine might be ****ty compared to whatever , but I have never played the same solo twice in my life....

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

The ragtime gospel blues of Rev. Gary Davis', "Death Don't Have No Mercy" took me two years to get right and only by purchasing a DVD by one of his famed students. I got it now, but play it everyday, from fear of losing that ragtime feel.

10. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

The solos in Valleri (Monkees) took me a few tries in 1968. I think it was Lou Shelton or Tommy Tedesco on the record?

brookdalebill likes this.
  11. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

The "Freebird" solo is kind of a 70s rock guitar Rosetta Stone, isn't it? I should spend some time with it myself.

The hardest thing I've tried recently was learning the solos on the live version of "Jailbreak" by Thin Lizzy. They're straight A major pentatonic, but so ungodly fast. My picking technique needs a lot of work.

But the most thoroughly demoralizing guitar ass-kicking I've gotten was when I was a young classical guitar student working through the Sor studies. Especially the one (I forget the number) that's all barre chords. Serious hand cramper. I never did get that thing to the point where anyone would call it music.

12. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The lead break in "Only Daddy That'll Walk The Line", by Waylon Jennings.

brookdalebill likes this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Valleri is Louie Shelton.
    He’s great, and played on tons of hits.
    Somewhat ironically, he plays all the BB King style guitar on Seals & Croft’s Diamond Girl.
    Kinda the opposite of his playing on Valleri.
    Valleri really inspired me as a Monkees lovin’ kid.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

Bruce is a phenomenal guitar player.

GGardner likes this.
  15. Toast

Toast Tele-Meister

I'm bogged down (practicing it slowly, very slowly) in the first solo of the Stooges Shake Appeal. I can play the guitar for Blister In The Sun by the Violent Femmes at speed, but when I try to sing it and play it my picking falls apart. The guitar part kind of shadows the lyrical phrasing and linking those two up is tricky for me. Actually, just singing an playing in general is tough for me. I'm still working through Touch Of Grey by the Grateful Dead, but it's taken a back seat to the other two songs. I noodle around with other songs, but I try to stick to songs I want keep in a repertoire.

16. jamesepowell

jamesepowell TDPRI Member

The important thing is to play it pretty for Atlanta.

tonytrout likes this.
  17. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted

The intro to this, pretty sure I've got all the fingerings etc down and I'm in the process of making it smooth, which takes many years! Makes me realise how talented people are to create the stuff on the first page AND play it completely smoothly..

Sounds Good and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  18. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Tele-Meister

Never Going Back Again. I can play it, but cannot get up to speed on it and I’ve been trying for a loooooooooooong time

19. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I placate myself with remembering that Keef never plays it the same way twice. So maybe one of the times I play it is at least close. I can get most of his playing, the notes are never that hard. CYHMK is one of the ones where I struggle for the feel, that Keef groove.

clayville likes this.
  20. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

I can kind of play Ziggy Stardust okay, which is good for me.

Digital Larry and magicfingers99 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.