Hardest thing you can play? One you never got?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TelZilla, Jul 11, 2019.

1. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

This has probably been done on here before, but I was actually practicing something last night (with a metronome and everything), and it made me think:

1. What's one lick you worked super hard to learn?
    2. What's one you've worked on a lot, but never really got?

I'll go first.

1. The break in the middle of the Beano version of Hideaway. This doesn't sound that impressive, but those sliding double stops took me FOREVER

2. The weedly-weedly part at the end of American Girl. It's SO FAST.

Sounds Good likes this.
  2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I can play the first ten seconds of this, then my left hand falls off and my right hand goes out for a cheeseburger. Without me!

3. clayville

clayville TDPRI Member

I've spent 35 years trying to get consistently 'close enough for hand grenades' on the Keef parts of CYHMK. It's such a bear if you overthink it.
    Full disclosure: the first ten of those pre-internet years I was trying to figure it out in standard tuning. :rolleyes:

CaineIsCarter likes this.
  4. thechad

thechad Tele-Meister

I spent a lot of time learning this when I was starting to play guitar:

And I am still trying to figure out the solo for this:

and trying to make this song work with one guitar:

Charlodius likes this.
  5. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Danny Gatton's Rock Candy. Still working on some of the solo licks. Then, I'm going to take on the pedal steel licks that Buddy Emmons played on it, the fingerings are kinda weird on a guitar.

6. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

I'm trying to figure out how to play the lead parts on Kid Charlemagne, one of these days I'm gonna have the time to sit for some hours until I get it right.

The hardest song I can play its maybe The Clap by Yes, it took me years!

jman72 likes this.
  7. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I never took the time to learn The Clap, but I know Mood For A Day note for note.

8. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

The riff that runs through this song is incredibly simple, but devastatingly difficult to play at the speed in the song. Given the fact that he also sings backup vocals while he's playing it messes with my mind:

Steve Holt and Cantbreak100guy like this.
  9. Heathfinn

Heathfinn TDPRI Member

My goal is to learn John Fahey's song "Wine and Roses".

10. graybeard65

graybeard65 TDPRI Member

For some reason, I recently decided to learn to fingerpick (self-taught) and then decided that "Alice's Restaurant" would be cool to learn - at the same time, the acoustic intro to "Crazy On You" was on my list to learn.

Pinkie pull-offs, done right, are apparently my kryptonite :mad:

11. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Never Going Back by Fleetwood Mac puts me out there @ the edge of my competence, but I can play it. Also recently developed an approach for Lightfoot's Early Morning Rain that works for me; over the years I've tried this song in lotsa different tunings, keys, arrangements. I was messing around in open G capoed @ 6th fret and changes just fell in place. With this version of EMR it's less about challenging licks and more about maintaining steady picking patterns that sound fluid but also crisp, provide a platform for my voice.

One song I'm never happy with is Pachobel's Canon in D; I've played a few times for wedding ceremonies and it's just never as clean and steady as I'd like.

thechad likes this.
  12. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

Took me 25 years to get my right thumb to do what Leo's does on Airproofing, but when I finally got it down the rest of the tune just kind of melted into it. I was so thrilled when I finally got it I started working it into my shows twice, once on twelve string and once on six.

13. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Could never get it at this tempo--

Sounds Good, paulblackford and schmee like this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Quite a few things have been hard for me to learn, and there have been some that just never came. (and I rarely start learning something if I KNOW it would elude me) But one I'm very proud of is Light My Fire. (Doors) Once I found the general position for the intro, it's just a matter of getting the phrasing right. The two solos (keyboard and guitar) are not "note for note", but anyone familiar with them would recognize them, and no one's ever come up afterward and made any comments that I didn't "get it right". As much or more than most songs, having the right bass part going is critical, so I need a solid, reliable bass player.....when you mention Doors, most people think of the "cheesy" organ sound, or Robby Krieger's guitar, but I immediately think of Ray Manzarek's left hand bass parts. Even on early LP's, when they used a bass player in the studio, the bass usually copied what Ray would play live. To me, those bass lines are the "heartbeat" running through all their songs.

Macrogats likes this.
  15. jamesepowell

jamesepowell TDPRI Member

You and me both. It's my white whale. I keep trying to do it just like the record even though The Man Himself does not.

clayville likes this.
  16. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

little black egg

tres difficult

oh galdern, what am i gonna do?

also sweet jane, so many major chords..

17. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I'm not a fingerpicker. But I can usually fake it. Last week, I started to learn this. It seems simple enough but is tying me up. It will be encoded into my muscle memory at some point. But for now, I really have to concentrate to play it.

It starts at :25.

jrblue and joebloggs13 like this.
  18. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

19. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Meister

1. I finally got to where I could play the main riff of "Cliffs of Dover". Mind you, I never got to where it sounded smooth, and organic. I think anybody listening could probably hear that 'this guy is really struggling to nail this'. :)

2. I still can't play the opening to "Spirit of Radio". I might get through the repetition twice, but then my fingers and brain part ways. Of course, I did learn it wrong, initially, because those were the days when you figured it out yourself by sitting there with a record player, and playing it over and over. I got fairly proficient at playing it wrong.

duzie likes this.
  20. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Little Wing ...SRV version. I spent forever on it. Got maybe in the ball park, or maybe in the same town anyway..but no... not really.... when I listen again!

paulblackford likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.