Telefied
Ad Free Member
and in other ways, it seems much longer than that
RIP Eddie
1665020142177.png

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
He was the extremely rare game-changer.
I could never even remotely get a handle on his style.
He actually “swung”.
A total badass.
RIP, and thanks Eddie.
Your post reminds me of an interview I read back in the 90s with another of my guitar heroes, Ty Tabor from Kings X. Tabor said (I’m paraphrasing) when he first heard Van Halen he was so knocked on his ass by it he considered just giving up guitar and doing something else.

I mean, I remember being amazed and mystified (“how the hell is he playing those syncopated harmonics in ‘Top Jimmy?’”) but to hear that this other blazing guitarist I admired was amazed and thrown like that was interesting perspective on just how much of a game changer EVH was.

Knows3Chords

Tele-Holic
I think my ears are still ringing from the time I saw VH at Cobo Hall in Detroit in 1981. Can't believe it's been 2 years since he died either.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I still can recall the first time I heard a VH song - it’s just one of those things you remember. Late at night, lying in bed with the radio on, and the DJ played Jamie’s Crying. I sat straight up - the intro alone was so unlike anything else I’d ever heard.
Gone too soon.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
He was the extremely rare game-changer...

Yep, I've never been a big fan of the band as such, but Eddie is part of a very small bunch of true innovators.

I've forgotten many things in my life, but I will never forget my very first introduction to EVH, when I saw him live in 1978 in London.

RIP Eddie, you changed everything.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Yep, I've never been a big fan of the band as such, but Eddie is part of a very small bunch of true innovators.

I've forgotten many things in my life, but I will never forget my very first introduction to EVH, when I saw him live in 1978 in London.

RIP Eddie, you changed everything.
I remember the first time I heard them (on the radio), also circa 1978.
I was on lunch break from work in my truck on the way back to work.
Ice Cream Man was the tune, and I mistakenly thought Van Halen was a Dutch band, like Focus.
I thought those Scandinavians sure grow great guitar players, like Jan Akkerman!
Shortly there after my frat-party band started covering Jamie’s Crying, albeit with a far less interesting guitar player.
44 years.
Thanks again, Eddie.