Hard Plastic Cases for G&L ASAT Special or Fallout: What Works?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by FenderGuy53, Jul 19, 2019.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Does anyone have an aftermarket hard plastic case for their G&L ASAT Special or Fallout? What did you get, and how does it fit?

I'd prefer a shaped case, like an SKB, but a rectangular-shaped case, like a Gator, would be okay, too.

Thanks, guys.

2. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

Ok, this is kind of off topic, but I'll bring it back at the end.

I have an early 80's Strat with the hard plastic molded case. Looks like it was made by SKB, but the latches were thin, cheap and didn't last hard gigging like the case itself.

I searched forever trying to find metal latches that fit the case with its metal band, to no avail. For years I used duct tape latches!

One day I saw an SKB case with nice TSA latches and realized they would fit perfectly on my case. I went to the SKB website and found that they sold just the latches, set of 3 with all the hardware for a great price, $7 each for the plain, and $10 for the keyed latch.

So, I highly recommend SKB as a company in that I'm impressed with the fact that they just don't sell the end finished product through retailers, but also support someone that wants to fix something instead of throwing it out and buying a new one.

And if you can find one of the old Fender cases or even an old SKB with busted latches for cheap, buy it as you can still get parts from SKB.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

FenderGuy53 and brookdalebill like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My (negative) experience, too.
    Are you not fond of wood/tolex cases?

4. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

SKB makes great cases and really stands behind their products.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  5. FenderGuy53

Did not know that. Thanks for posting, jfgesquire!

I do have an SKB case for my Fender Custom Tele FMT HH, and if I ever get another Fender Tele, I'll look for an SKB case with broken latches, so I can get it cheaper! ;)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  6. FenderGuy53

No, not really. Wood and Tolex cases may cost less $$$, but tend to be heavier and take up more space.

I did own Gator cases before buying my first SKB case, mainly because my first T-style guitar was a G&L Tribute ASAT Special, that wouldn't quite fit in an SKB case.

I wound up keeping the Gator case and used it for future Tele's, but the "wiggle room" made me pad the headstock/butt ends, and that got old quickly, sooo...

since buying my first SKB case, years ago, I have found them to be a perfect fit for my Fender Tele's, and $$$ well spent!

The Gator case would work for an incoming G&L Trib ASAT Special or Fallout, and since it would be mainly for storage purposes, I could live with the "wiggle room".

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

I've got an ASAT Special and it fits as well or better in an SKB rectangular case than it does in the G&L-branded case that came with it.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  8. FenderGuy53

I was not aware that SKB made rectangular cases! Do you happen to know the model #?

Thanks for posting, Vermoulian! ;)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  9. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

I don’t know the model but if you go to MF and search for SKB guitar cases the current version should be pretty high in the results.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  10. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

Here’s a mediocre pic of the old case with the new latches...better than when it was new![​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FenderGuy53 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.