1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hard Cider

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Oct 5, 2011.

1. jmaul

jmaul Tele-Afflicted

2. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

you sir are correct! Kopparberg is the best, that and hoegarten.

Scrumpy knock off here for £3.30 for 2litres in a glass bottle, tastes like sewage and smells worse.

3. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Normandy cidre!

Once you have tasted proper cider, you can keep all the other stuff thanks.

I don't see we can't brew this stuff in England, we have better apples and we imported the process from Normandy ca.1066, but our stuff stinks of sulphur with unpleasant flavours and after-taste. It is supposed to taste of apples, fresh and light, with a moderate alcohol content, not weak but not too strong either. Easy drinking, goes well with food (galettes!)

We went around an "authentic" west-country cider farm not so long ago, all their brews had artificial sweeteners added. Why!

We don't often get Normandy cidre imported (again why?) so next time we pop across for the day I shall probably fill the car up with it :D

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  4. jefrs

Non-alcoholic is apple juice, not cider and one of the best laxatives known to mankind.

5. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Well, 3 pints (Imperial) at 7.5% by volume... that'd equate to 11oz (Imperial) of 80 proof. I can see being wobbly if you chugged it as quickly as the fruit juice it tastes like.

I'm kinda glad it costs too much for me to drink that stuff. I drink the tequila and such slower anyway.

6. jefrs

Half pint (10-oz) of scrumpy will do that, if you don't mind the taste (yuk!).

Problem with scrumpy is that you think you're sober until you try to stand up.
    Cider doesn't taste like fruit juice and scrumpy doesn't taste like cider. Neither is particularly expensive compared to spirits at bar prices.

mally likes this.
  7. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Is it just me or does the term 'hard cider' not sound so...'hard'. It's like what you would call something to convince a difficult child or teenager to drink it.

It's just 'cider' here.

;)

8. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Here in the US, for reasons obscure, they call unfiltered apple juice "cider", and the fermented version "hard cider". Don't know why!

Tim

9. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

My favorites are Magners and Strongbow

10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

At Walmart its called "I Can't Believe Its Not VINEGAR".

11. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Well, ANYTHING at bar prices is out of my league... :cry:

Didn't mean any offence by the "fruit juice" comment - I know that cider isn't really fruit juice (despite US marketing to the contrary); just that all the ciders I've experienced have been highly conducive to rapid and voluminous consumption. In Spain, particularly.

Also, I apparently have no idea of the difference between scrumpy and cider. :confused:

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

It's that time of year again, new developments I've found are the unfiltered/unsweetend ones that are a lot less "wine cooler"-ey and also these rascals (from your local Aldis and totally delicious) : 20200914_192513.jpg

13. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Around here we have lots of good apples and lots of local cideries (or whatever). I want to like it, but I just can't. For one thing it gives me a vicious headache.

blowtorch likes this.
  14. Buck@r00

[email protected] Tele-Meister

Have you ever had a Dicken's Cider

blowtorch likes this.
  15. blowtorch

I know what you mean, and it can do that yeah, but I've found some varieties that do not seem to.
    Stella Artrois is in the cider game now, I've laid some up and I plan on sampling some soon

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  16. blowtorch

17. freshmattyp

freshmattyp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I developed a taste for it in 1985 when I spent a summer at the University of Birmingham and it was pretty much the only thing you could get ice cold in the pubs. Right now my personal favorite is Austin Eastciders.

18. blowtorch

so yeah I got into the stella artois stuff last night
    [​IMG]

and I don't personally care for it. it tries to be a little too high falutin, I think.
    I much prefer the cheaper stuff from Aldis

19. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Still more of a beer guy, but scrumpy is where it's at for this yank. Had my first pull of it in London a few years ago. Didn't take long to acquire that taste. We have a local store that sells a variant; not great, but serviceable and I get it on occasion.

We have two ciders available from a big local, Santa Fe Brewing Co's 'Tropical Punch Apple' and 'Straight Up Apple' ciders. Both are exactly in the happy place (for me) between dry and sweet, but I lean dry. Distributed regionally maybe.

Austin Eastciders (TX) definitely distribute nationally or at least did to the east coast until we emigrated. Everything I've had by them is outstanding. Texas Honey, Hopped, and the original 'Dry' are faves.

You east coasters might look up Millstone cellars in Monkton MD, but I'm not sure if they're still producing.

20. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

There are so many....

I'll echo what others have said. Normandy ciders are my favorite, particularly the cidre doux style.

Quebec has a lot of cideries producing the old school ciders that I like.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.