Happy With Your Vintage Modified Tele Special?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by USAF Retired, Feb 27, 2014.

1. USAF Retired

USAF Retired TDPRI Member

Greetings! I'm new here, popping over from the Strat-Talk forum. 62 years old, and have been playing since age 11 (though I feel as if I still suck!).

I have been GASing bad for a squier vintage modified tele special in butterscotch. Problem is (maybe it's really not one!) that I've never owned a tele in my 62 years. Mainly a Strat player with the occasional Les Paul.

You Tube clips show great sounds from this model, and damn if it doesn't just seem a gorgeous color. Speaking of which - anyone with a butterscotch - is it a solid color, or semi-translucent so that the grain shows?

Anyway - I know no one will do me a favor and talk me out of this since I have absolutely NO NEED for yet another guitar!!!...LOL...so just seeking opinions if you're happy with this tele. For only $299.00 I figure you can't go too wrong, especially with a return policy.

Thanks...and hope to be a frequent visitor and contributor here!

2. Drewsome007

Drewsome007 Tele-Meister

I have had mine for almost a year and still love the thing. I did a couple mods after I had it for a few months but just because I like to tinker. I installed an electrosocket jack, 4 way switch and a 250k no load tone pot and full size 250k cts pot for the volume.
    Very happy with the tone balanced sound out of both the jazzmaster neck pickup and the bridge pick-up,nice and twangy too.
    The neck is what attracted me to the guitar in the first place, beautiful vintage tinted gloss finish. Nice full C shape, very comfortable not too thin like the CV tele's but fret work is flawless just like the CV's.
    The body finish is definately more opaque then translucent but the dark part of the grain is visable in the right lighting situation.
    I got a great deal on mine 250 brand new due to a nick in the finish on the back edge. Even at 299 these are a steal, same quality as the CV series at a lower price I almost want to grab a white one to mod differently as they are fairly light weight unlike most of the CV's I have played.

3. USAF Retired

Thanks for the info and response.

I'm also a tinkerer; so much so that I'm "this" close to having my OCD take over my guitars. ;-)

I have a Squier CV 50s Strat with what I believe to be the almost identical neck as this Tele's (C shaped tinted neck, 9.5 radius, etc), so I'm sure the transition will be perfectly easy.

I'm bound and determined to just leave the Tele (when it arrives) alone and not fret (pun intended) over things I'd like to do to it. I'll just keep the mods going on wife #3. She's close to getting there... :D

This will be my second purchase from Sweetwater. Really cool customer service. Although there are about six pictures of this tele on their website, my "personal" customer service rep sent me all six pictures in an e-mail, saying "this is your guitar" with a picture of the headstock back with "my serial number".

Does appear to be a bit of nice grain visable.

Attached Files:

4. mister natural

mister natural TDPRI Member

this is the same instrument I've had for a couple weeks and freakin love it, air force, predict you will too !

btw - thx for your service

5. bullitt

bullitt Tele-Holic

Been eyeing one of those too,but cant get it past the finance dept.

6. KenH

KenH Tele-Holic

I've had one for over a year and find it very comfortable to play. I think the PUs are very well balanced. I believe it was a very worthwhile purchase and I intend to keep it around.

7. USAF Retired

Thanks very much. I appreciate the sentiments, though my years in the Air Force was life saving for me considering the path I was heading in the early 70s. :cry:

I hear you....loud and clear. I actually went around the finance department on this one. :eek: I'm going to have to come up with some good interest when Fed Ex shows up with the package, or she'll default on me!

8. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Those look interesting. They're the complete opposite of my favorite guitar, Ian Moore's 62 Strat with an Esquire neck. Im also USAF retired, back in '02.

[​IMG]

9. Auto Alligator

Auto Alligator TDPRI Member

Hey USAF,

Love my VM Special, especially the neck (THE most important part of the guitar), but you may have to get the frets leveled/dressed, which would cost you some extra money (although it was not bad out of the box). Also, I found the jazzmaster pickup to only work well with the bridge pup when only in clean or fuzz situations, but not all that well with a basic overdrive. I also didn't like how the JM pup was of a higher output than the bridge. I actually just ordered a DiMarzio Area T neck pup yesterday, but that's just for MY personal preference. YOUR mileage may vary.

Despite my complaints regarding the neck pup, I love how this thing plays, and can't recommend it enough. :)

10. Drewsome007

Drewsome007 Tele-Meister

I find the neck JM pickup quite nice when overdriven, sounds like a smooth p90 tone to my ears. The urge to tinker had me considering new pickups all around but every time I pick it up and plug in they sound too good to change!

11. Jacobz06

Jacobz06 TDPRI Member

Have a look at this:

http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=91845

Jacob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.