Happy old solid state Yamaha amp day!

Mutato

Tele-Holic
I just picked up this thing on CL last night.
1982ish Yamaha JX35. I played it with both pedals and clean at band practice and it’s really good. $50. Fun for some different tones.

8703A7D2-7CB0-40E4-A4FD-D7CA4B8797F0.jpeg
57356CB8-823C-421F-9411-9E9E61F79AC1.jpeg
1306B671-4796-41EB-908A-5ABB14C45687.jpeg

04B1A1CC-959C-4D81-93BD-C3C41DD8B771.jpeg

dan1952

Friend of Leo's
Had this same thing in our teaching studio for 15 years, until I gave it to a friend. Sounded good, like every Yammy amp I've ever heard.

philosofriend

Tele-Afflicted
Am I crazy, or can you see right through the center of the speaker to the grill cloth? Is that how the speaker is supposed to be? It seems like you would get more bass if the dust cap was still on there. Who knows, maybe it would sound less muddy and louder with a hole in the middle...

Mutato

Tele-Holic
Am I crazy, or can you see right through the center of the speaker to the grill cloth? Is that how the speaker is supposed to be? It seems like you would get more bass if the dust cap was still on there. Who knows, maybe it would sound less muddy and louder with a hole in the middle...

I noticed that as well when taking the photo! I have NO idea of why it's like that. Def missing the inside section! Weird.

Lonn

Friend of Leo's
I had a JX40 for a couple of years, very underrated clean amp.

Vermoulian

Tele-Meister
Scorpion speakers were the best guitar speakers that Peavey made (I think).

Bonus!

Nice amp. Congratulations.

100% agree. Some years back, some friends and I put together a speaker shootout with a couple dozen different 12" guitar speakers, A/B'ed through identical amps. We had an assortment of usual suspects from Celestion plus various Eminence speakers, some Jensens, and an assortment of OEM units pulled from various amps, plus some Scorpions. The big takeaway from that whole process was that the Scorpions were among the best-sounding speakers we heard that day, the other contender being a Celestion Gold (which is very different tonally; sort of apples to oranges). Because they are so cheap used, I've acquired a handful and put them in a number of amps, and they've sounded great in just about all of them. I've got one right now in a SF Deluxe Reverb, and in a 1x12 cab that I use with a Vox Night Train and THD Univalve. I had one in an Ampeg Gemini I for a while, and put a pair of them in a Roland JC-120.

Utility-wise, I'd say that speaker is worth more than you paid for the whole amp! (Although, dollar-wise, the market may not bear that out.)

Congrats! You got a real sleeper.

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
waking up the zombie!

I have one of these! I bought it for, jeez, like less than 50 bucks equivalent in Japan in 1993 or so. It has been sitting in my attic for over 15 years I think. Been cleaning out the attic to make a little chill spot and I decided to finally get rid of this old thing...

IMG_0861.jpeg

And then I plugged it in...

And it sounds so nice!

Pots are scratchy, but besides that and the dust, it's real clean and all original: has all the knobs, no cuts in the tolex, grill cloth is fine, etc.

I'm still not gonna keep it, but I WAS gonna basically put it out on the curb, and now I'm wondering if it's worth anything...

JB_SC

TDPRI Member
I had a G100B 212 for awhile, great amp. I only sold it because I got two smaller amps to run a stereo rig. The 2 new amps weighed about the same — combined — as the Yamaha.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
This is NOT my actual amp, but my first ( 1976, new) and 2nd amps ( 1982 as #1 was stolen, 1980) were both Yamaha G50-112's.
Played #2 till 1989 or so.

Attachments

• download (1).jpeg
    download (1).jpeg
    13.4 KB · Views: 10