Happy NFBD

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Digital Larry, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I thought I had gotten rid of most of my unused gear but I was WRONG!

I had two Tech21 Power Engine 60's that a friend gave me when "she who must be obeyed" (his words, not mine) decided that she wanted his cra* out of the living room. I'd been using one with my Eleven Rack, but just replaced that powered guitar cab with a Headrush FRFR-108. And I also have had an "OLP" 4 string bass (looks from a distance like a MM Stingray) for years, but I just never got along with that one too well. I recently got a short scale Ibanez TMB-100 and with flat wounds that quickly became my go-to bass.

I checked the inventory at Santa Cruz Starving Musician and found a Carvin LB-20 fretless for $350. I got around $230 for my other junk and made up the difference and brought her home. Never owned a fretless, and only ever tried playing one a few times.

I find I can sense pitch discrepancies reasonably well (there were plenty) and I have to look at the fingerboard and try to play right ON TOP of the fret line. This means a bit more stretching in low positions than I'm used to. Also it was interesting to do slides in some parts of the riffs I was playing. You probably don't tend to do a lot of slides on a fretted bass with roundwounds unless your fingertip calluses are really beefy.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. Digital Larry

Oh and the part you were all waiting for...

0922191229.jpg
    0922191229_Burst02.jpg
    0922191229a.jpg
    0922191229b.jpg
    0922191229c.jpg

CoyotesGator and Zepfan like this.
  3. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That’s an interesting knob configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Digital Larry

2V/1T no switching. Just the way I like it I suppose? I prefer simplicity where possible. The knobs are knurled chrome with mother of toilet seat tops and I can't help getting this '50's diner vibe from them. Ich bin der Chrome Dinette.

I think it's a good sign, but after playing some original bass riffs and the following chestnuts for about 2 hours, I'M GETTING BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS!

- How Many More Times
    - Dazed and Confused
    - A New Day Yesterday
    - Trouble No More

jimilee and erratick like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.