Happy NAD to Me!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by The Angle, Sep 14, 2021.

1. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Afflicted

I've been on the lookout for a used Blues Cube Hot basically since the start of the p******c that dare not speak its name. For some reason, used ones at reasonable prices have gotten really scarce over the last year and a half. They're easier to find in blonde tolex, but I wanted black. Since this is a thing I want rather than a thing I need, I could play the waiting game until the right one came along.

Complicating matters was that I really wanted the KT66-emulating Boss Drive Special, not the standard BCH. Those are even scarcer than the originals. (Which is not to say they're rare - I can't believe that's true - but people who have them seem to hang onto them.)

Last week, a black BCH showed up on Guitar Center's used gear list in very good condition at a price I haven't seen for over a year. It was listed as the standard version, but at that price I decided to click the button and grab it while the grabbing was good.

The big box arrived today, and my jaw dropped when I finally got it free from about 20 layers of bubble wrap. It IS a Boss Drive Special - a little fact the GC listing neglected to mention. If I'd been after the standard BCH, that might've been a deal-breaker. Not mentioning it in the listing was terribly sloppy work on the part of GC, but their oversight put a giant :D on my face.

This is a glorious-sounding amp. All the praise for these online is 100 percent true, as far as I'm concerned. I'll be selling several other amps to give this one pride of place in the music room.

And, of course, pics to prove it happened.

IMG_20210914_120905363.jpg

IMG_20210914_121254163.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    stevemc, Wallaby, elihu and 17 others like this.
  2. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

Whoa, I have not seen that color scheme on a Blues Cube (I am pretty sure), and it looks amazing. Well done. Enjoy.

The Angle likes this.
  3. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Holic

BC Hot rules. I got mine 4 years ago and play it all the time. It sounds great.

Enjoy!!!!

PhredE and The Angle like this.
  4. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Nice! It looks like your amp found *you*! Congrats. And welcome to the Blues Cube Club.

DaphneBlue, PhredE and The Angle like this.
  5. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Congrats! Great amp and this forum has lots of love for the BC amps

6. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Afflicted

You know, it never actually registered on me until this arrived that the Boss Drive Specials have a gold Blues Cube logoplate instead of silver and that their grill cloth is slightly more brown than on the standard BCH. I always tried to tell them apart in ads by spotting the Boss Drive Special tag on the top. I could have known this was the BDS from the one fuzzy photo in the listing just by looking at the color of the logo. Live and learn.

jays0n likes this.
  7. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

live n learn!!! Yeah it is that brown with the gold that does it. It’s very vintage looking. I love that look. Not that I needed any other gear to lust over dang it!

The Angle likes this.
  8. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats.

9. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dang it. Now I want one haha. Stories like this are why I like GC. Good score.

The Angle likes this.
  10. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

Happy NAD! ( I hope to join you soon! :)

The Angle likes this.
  11. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I love it when GC's sloppiness pays off for me. Happy it worked out for you too!

I've been contemplating a BC of some kind for a few years. Like you, it's a want, not a need, so I've been sitting back waiting for the right deal, myself.

Congrats!

The Angle and hdvades like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.