Happy (late) NGD!!! (Paisley Esquire Content)

Witcher

Tele-Meister
Hey guys, long time-lurker here. Haven't posted anything in years. I grabbed this one recently because I wanted a "proper" tele/esquire sort of thing. I've been playing my Strandberg Salen for quite a while now, and it's still my favourite "tele" guitar. My last "real" tele was a Kotzen, but that was too heavy so I sold it.

VERY happy with this one. It's light, resonant, and has very good sustain. I swapped out the bridge pup for a La Brea, and had it properly setup. I'm still getting used to the tiny frets, but it's good finger exercise anyways. :lol:
MBIFxPM.jpg

This pickguard is fantastic. It's actually transparent. I've been trying for weeks to see thru it to spot the Secret Agent in there, but to no avail. It's like trying to look thru a black lace dress to see what's underneath (not that I have any experience doing that, mind you... it's just what I've been told).
WybDUm0.jpg

8XlxkNd.jpg

I do wish the finish wasn't reliced, since I don't think it was nicely done. But that black sparkle is gorgeous!
tIyITBW.jpg

Here it is next to the Salen, and they both are fantastic examples of their kind. The Salen has noiseless (fender ultra noiseless neck, dimarzio Area T615 bridge) pups in there, and unless you play the Paisley next to it, the Salen does do a very convincing tele imitation despite being noiseless.
Cqs6J3C.jpg

Anyways just wanted to share the joy with my new "Esquire". I'm now contemplating getting the silver one, because I absolutely adore that neck.

Stay safe and healthy guys!

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
It's really cool, congrats. I like the relic job--now you don't have to sweat the first ding. I'd love to try one of the Secret Agent pickups in my single P-90 L'Esquier thing.

Witcher

Tele-Meister
It's really cool, congrats. I like the relic job--now you don't have to sweat the first ding. I'd love to try one of the Secret Agent pickups in my single P-90 L'Esquier thing.
Thanks. I think the Secret agent is one of the most misunderstood pickups out there from all accounts I read. Many complain that it's so soft when you switch from bridge to neck, that it's unusable. There's a vid on youtube (Trogly's I think) that demonstrates this. And this might even be exacerbated with a P90. However, most of these complaints only consider the tone when it's clean. When you add some drive to the tone, the volumes more or less level out, but what you get is a VERY nasty bridge pickup, in contrast to a very sweet neck pickup (think of a neck pickup with the volume knob rolled off). That's the main effect. But if you run your P90 at 500k, then I don't know how you'd compensate for the Secret Agent at 250k, unless you add a 499k resistor to the neck pickup.

Witcher

Tele-Meister
Beautiful guitar. I’m with you. I wish there was an option for a Paisley Tele without the relic job.
ikr... that finish is so sweet... I wish there was a "NOS" version... But being MIM, I doubt they'd bother. Maybe BP himself wants the roadworn look and feel. However, the forearm wear is really uncomfortable to play. I had to sand it down lightly to remove the rough edges.

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
Please tell me that is some kind of felt or leather padding on the upper bout and not "relicing".

Witcher

Tele-Meister
Please tell me that is some kind of felt or leather padding on the upper bout and not "relicing".
where? at the forearm rest? no, that's "relicing". They practically just sanded/grinded the paint off. poorly done, I think. doesn't bug me as much, except for the feel... That's why I took sandpaper to it to smoothen the rough bits out so it's less itchy/ticklish on my skin.

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
That actual wear on the 64 looks nowhere close as what they tried to do on the roadworn... :lol:

It never does. So many gorgeous guitars 'destroyed' for this fad. I mourn the loss of the trees that died for them. My own bias/preference, of course. It's still a nice Tele!

Last edited:

blue metalflake

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Love that finish with the see-thru paisley guard. Not a fan of that relic job - I’d be trying to rub something into it to dumb it down somewhat.
But hey - great looking guitar - enjoy!

Witcher

Tele-Meister
Love that finish with the see-thru paisley guard. Not a fan of that relic job - I’d be trying to rub something into it to dumb it down somewhat.
But hey - great looking guitar - enjoy!
What would you suggest? What can be done about that “bald” spot?

Dana Rudd

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats on the new Esquire. I'm not a fan of relicing on guitars. I try to keep all of mine looking new. Great looking guitar otherwise, enjoy and HNGD.