Happy July 4th and be safe.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I want to go shoot guns after it cools down this evening.
Fireworks dont really do it for me.
When I was a kid we had full gross boxes of real Mexican cherry bombs and our wrist rocket slingshots for cool aerial shots, some metal paint cans to launch, a big mud puddle to splatter. Pure pyrotechnic debauchery to a 12yr old
A couple things we did as kids...

Cutting a tiny hole in a tennis ball and filling it with Diamond strike-all match tips, then duct taping the ball a bunch of times, then tossing it in the air, or throwing against a wall, it blew up in spectacular fashion (at least to a couple of bored 12 year old kids). It took a lot of match heads and time, but was worth it.

Another fun one was dowsing a baseball with lighter fluid, lighting it, and throwing it down our street at night. Ah, good ol' days. Until once it rolled under someone's car. We did the responsible thing, and ran inside.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Yep. We lived on the coast and fireworks were everywhere. We always wondered who's wood shingle'd roof was going to get it first.
Yep, I caught the slope behind my house on fire from the metal cap on the end of an M80. That was in Mission Viejo around 1979. I had wood shingles on my house and so did everyone else. We put the fire out with garden hoses luckily enough. Someone made me promise that day that I wouldn't do that stupid **** ever again. I have never had fireworks since.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Zappy-4th.jpg

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
The Zephyrhills Park department sets off a nice display and it's back on this year!

And ... we are where we are because patriots like my granddad (WW I) and Dad (WW II) put their lives on the line. Freedom comes at a cost and we need to be prepared to pay every day.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Meister
Fireworks. Remember those waterproof m80's? I lit one and threw it only to have it deflect off the tiniest (invisible at dusk) branch, and into the swimming pool where it detonated at the bottom. I had to shell out $450 to repair that pool...... and this was in 1978 money.

Lunch is over, the grilled mahi-mahi was indescribably delicious.... Someone two doors down just set off a motar, and Bonnie is under the bed. The other three huskies are like "what's with her?"

Dan R

Poster Extraordinaire
Happy 4th everybody! I went downtown today for a while, 108 heat index. A group of Vets put up American flags all down Lockwood Blvd. on the harbor. It's maybe a hundred or so. It's a tradition here. It's a stunning sight.

Nothing too fancy for dinner, BBQ chicken with potatoes and creamed spinach.

Last edited:

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
For the Fourth:
- Hauled stuff out of the basement.
- Found that Lowe's is out of the mulch I want.
- Discussed my wife's yogurt preferences with a woman at Trader Joe's.
- Said "one woman doesn't make a trend."
- My wife watered EVERYTHING as it's been bone dry for a while.
- Watched multiple chipmunks cross the patio every 30-40 seconds, dawn to dusk. Busy animals.
- We saw Egrets and multiple Great Blue Herons over the creek and overhead.
- Watched Gamera: The Invincible. It was kinda bad compared to the others. Not 'good bad.'
- Had leftover squid ink spagetti with grilled octopus.
- Had the last of the Cote de Rhone from the 3rd, my birthday.
- That was Monday.

Last edited:

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's