Happy Birthday 2 Me: Springfield Armory

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hey_you, Nov 24, 2021.

1. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nice!
    I have an XD Mod2 in .45.
    Springfield makes a nice pistol.

Frodebro and papa32203 like this.
  2. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Spent the first few years with the Marines carrying a 1911, shot expert 4 years in a row. Then they switched to the Berretta 9mm M9 and I could barely hit the back-stop let alone the target. Something about the round instead of flat top plus the 9 mm hurts my ears like none other.

After the Marines, I went into law enforcement and carried a USP 40 which I did like and could shoot a good group, but the whole decocking lever was a major dislike.

Glocks....hate all of them. No real reason other than I dislike the way they look and feel in my hand.

These days, my daily carry remains a Springfield Loaded 1911 in the tried and true 45acp. The main reason being I can still shoot it very well.

The right weapon for you is the one that you can shoot the best. Doesn't matter what caliber, what brand, etc....just the one that you can shoot the best.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  3. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Holic

I have the XD 45. While I am a 1911 guy this will do nicely.
    My 1911 when I was in the Marines was made in 1911....couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with that pos.
    Then we got Berretta's and bam expert , but still love a well set up 1911.

Frodebro and Archtops like this.
  4. Milspec

We were mirror opposites....many people were.

My issued 1911 was a 1952 model, but the slide was made by Remington-Rand in the early '40's. It had a ton of slop to it, but I still shot tight groups.

Frodebro and Tarkus60 like this.
  5. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

I looked at it wrong for a second and thought the box was an amp with a custom grill cloth

Then I thought “man...that’s a big hand gun”

Happy birthday!

6. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

I just imagined and officer showing up in the morning for a briefing and ashamedly telling the captain

“My dog ate my gun.....no.....seriously this time”

Milspec likes this.
  7. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Afflicted

I agree, high-pressure round with no perceived benefit, but it will go through walls and potentially two human targets, which is too risky. 40 Smith & Wesson and 10mm were developed in response for anemic .38 special and 9mm rounds back in the day. The powders have vastly improved since, and the new 9mm defense loads make those high-pressure rounds obsolete in my opinion. 9mm is vastly more controllable, especially in the small package like a compact carry gun. To each his/her own.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  8. Milspec

All true, but I think the 10mm really fell out of favor because too many gun slides were cracking from it and not the ballistics. That has also changed with more companies using forged slides. The 10mm isn't a cannon, all rounds can pass through a wall or over-penetrate, but if you shoot well with the 10 mm....go for it. Might not be the cheapest ammo out there today though.

9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Poster Extraordinaire

Well done!
    Can you find 10mm ammo?

10. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Very nice. HNGunD!

My usual EDC is a J-frame.

Frodebro likes this.
  11. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

Not counting rifle rounds and really obscure loads, there's pretty much only two 10mm's. One's a magnum, the other is 10mm Auto. The magnum isn't remotely close to "standard."

It's true that .40 S&W is a short 10mm Auto, and is popular, but nobody calls it 10mm.

Milspec likes this.
  12. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

Good choice. Love my 10 mm. It's my wife's favorite.

13. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

It may be a lot of fire power, but here my take on it. I travel alone often. I have a strong urge to explore. I hike alone.Places most people don't go. I often see nobody while out. I also novice prospect for gold. I go to remote places. It's a very long way to civilization if an accident occurs. There are four-legged critters that don't take kindly to strangers to consider. I have spent time in Nome,Alaska and been places unarmed, where people would think I was nuts for doing so. 10 mm seems to be right for me given those concerns. Thanks for all the kudos! elite vs standard.png

GreatDaneRock and Frodebro like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.