Happy Birthday 2 Me: Springfield Armory

Hey_you

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Birthday this Month, so a good excuse to buy. XDM 10mm. I took a CCW class the other day.
1124211742.jpg

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
I have to say I think you’re right. Never really looked at 10mm so checked out ballistics. Packs a wallop.

Did they finally decided on a 10mm standard?
Last I heard there were like 3 different 10mm formats that were not interchangable.

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My XDM .45 begs to differ.

I can't run away anymore. So, if I'm going to stand my ground, it is not going to be with a peashooter....

Yeah, yeah, yeah... The 45ACP has little in common with the 10mm. The 45 is a big, slow moving slug. The 10mm is more comparable to the .357. Overpenetration from rounds like the 10mm is one of many reasons that law enforcement doesn't use it much anymore. Add to that recoil, muzzle blast and a 3.whatever inch barrel in a lightweight frame, it's a poor choice for people of average ability for CCW.

I love the 10mm, it goes BOOM! But, it'd be the last choice for me as far as ccw goes.

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Yeah, yeah, yeah... The 45ACP has little in common with the 10mm. The 45 is a big, slow moving slug. The 10mm is more comparable to the .357. Overpenetration from rounds like the 10mm is one of many reasons that law enforcement doesn't use it much anymore. Add to that recoil, muzzle blast and a 3.whatever inch barrel in a lightweight frame, it's a poor choice for people of average ability for CCW.

I love the 10mm, it goes BOOM! But, it'd be the last choice for me as far as ccw goes.

My memory is a bit foggy on this one, but isn't the 40S&W basically a shorty 10mm? I recall that it was developed for law enforcement before the 9mm advanced enough to meet the criteria of the FBI.

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My memory is a bit foggy on this one, but isn't the 40S&W basically a shorty 10mm? I recall that it was developed for law enforcement before the 9mm advanced enough to meet the criteria of the FBI.

Yes, the .40S&W is a shortened 10mm. The FBI was a big driving force behind the 10mm, but they discovered that their people couldn't shoot the thing accurately, not to mention the overpenetration problem mentioned earlier. The .40S&W was an answer to that problem, and the FBI adopted it for a short time, but it doesn't do anything that the 9mm can't, so it has kind of faded into history.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
I think it was 1984 when a few FBI agents got the short end of a shootout in FL. It was their '38 specials against a couple hardcore dudes with AK's. They over compensated with the 10mm and eventually the .40 SW was born.
I'm going from memory but I'm sure a search will correct any wrong info.

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Nice! I used to be a 1911 guy but as I got older (I'm 72), I went to a 9 mm Glock 17.

My daily carry is a Glock 26, but to be honest it's a boring hunk of black polymer. There's just something about the craftsmanship on the 1911s and their variants that I love to geek out on.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
The 9mm is all about the follow up shot. Too much recoil from the 10mm and the 40 is too expensive to practice with. Not to mention over travel of the 10mm. There are good reasons why the 9mm is the CCW caliber of choice. Oh, and BTW, the .45 is a much slower round.

I carry a .44 S&W around in the property or when flyfishing/hunting, but I’m not concerned about the targets you guys are thinking about.:cool: Be careful down there in the concrete jungle.;)

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The 9mm is all about the follow up shot. Too much recoil from the 10mm and the 40 is too expensive to practice with. Not to mention over travel of the 10mm. There are good reasons why the 9mm is the CCW caliber of choice. Oh, and BTW, the .45 is a much slower round.

I carry a .44 S&W around in the property or when flyfishing/hunting, but I’m not concerned about the targets you guys are thinking about.:cool: Be careful down there in the concrete jungle.;)
For sure!