Happy 70th Birthday to Dallas's Big Tex

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
"HOWWWWWDY FOLKS!"

*edit: (the sensitive content is a picture of a burning 55' tall "statue")

1664891959184.png

I was long gone from the city of my birth by the time the pictured 2012 fire occurred, but he's one of those institutions that I can't remember not knowing about. Some of the best memories of my childhood took place in Fair Park every October and I remember being completely jazzed to see and hear the big fella every year.

Hope my fellow Dallasites have a great fair this year.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
"HOWWWWWDY FOLKS!"

*edit: (the sensitive content is a picture of a burning 55' tall "statue")

View attachment 1036419

I was long gone from the city of my birth by the time the pictured 2012 fire occurred, but he's one of those institutions that I can't remember not knowing about. Some of the best memories of my childhood took place in Fair Park every October and I remember being completely jazzed to see and hear the big fella every year.

Hope my fellow Dallasites have a great fair this year.

I've lived 35 miles from Little d all of my seventy years, yet I've never been to the State Fair of Texas. Not on my "bucket list" either. ;)
Ft Worth....Where the West Begins. Dallas.....Where the East Peters Out.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I've lived 35 miles from Little d all of my seventy years, yet I've never been to the State Fair of Texas. Not on my "bucket list" either. ;)
Ft Worth....Where the West Begins. Dallas.....Where the East Peters Out.
That's about how I saw it when I lit out in February 1990. I'd lived within five miles of Fair Park on three occasions in my 19 years in Dallas, grandparents were about seven miles away in Oak Cliff. We went at least twice a year until I was 13 or so, just something stamped in my memory. Fair to say I've seen and heard Mr. Tex many many times.

Nostalgia aside, I'd say you're safe not having it on the bucket list. It had got pretty rough down in that area by the time I'd left. I seem to remember a fatality on a thrill ride and a tram car that fell shortly before or after.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
That's about how I saw it when I lit out in February 1990. I'd lived within five miles of Fair Park on three occasions in my 19 years in Dallas, grandparents were about seven miles away in Oak Cliff. We went at least twice a year until I was 13 or so, just something stamped in my memory. Fair to say I've seen and heard Mr. Tex many many times.

Nostalgia aside, I'd say you're safe not having it on the bucket list. It had got pretty rough down in that area by the time I'd left. I seem to remember a fatality on a thrill ride and a tram car that fell shortly before or after.
Probably another reason we never went to the State Fair was we had Six Flags a third of the distance away......and it was open three quarters of the year.
BTW.....Six Flags had at least one fatality due to a ride accident. (very early 1970's) It was in ONE newspaper edition, and then NEVER mentioned again. I know it happened because a good friend worked at Six Flags that season, and sadly witnessed it. Six Flags carried a TON of influence and power back then.....and probably still does. :(

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Probably another reason we never went to the State Fair was we had Six Flags a third of the distance away......and it was open three quarters of the year.
BTW.....Six Flags had at least one fatality due to a ride accident. (very early 1970's) It was in ONE newspaper edition, and then NEVER mentioned again. I know it happened because a good friend worked at Six Flags that season, and sadly witnessed it. Six Flags carried a TON of influence and power back then.....and probably still does. :(
We spent a lot of time in Grand Prairie too. They sure must've hushed that up, because I seem to remember something about it, but the Observer says the only two deaths as of 2013 were one in that year and one in 1999. Weird.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
We spent a lot of time in Grand Prairie too. They sure must've hushed that up, because I seem to remember something about it, but the Observer says the only two deaths as of 2013 were one in that year and one in 1999. Weird.

The death in the early seventies was a roller coaster. Don't recall exactly what it was called, though.
Perhaps the later deaths had more witnesses, making it harder to cover up?

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Big Tex has often been my fashion muse.

View attachment 1042354

…although I don’t ever recall him holding a dog. 🤔

My pinstriped Telecaster is named after him, too.

Like @nojazzhere I also avoid Dallas as much as possible. I agree with the motto of Railhead BBQ…
“Life is too short to live in Dallas”​
There seems to be a man in a red shirt completely failing to compete with the magnificent dog in the pic! ;)

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Like @nojazzhere I also avoid Dallas as much as possible. I agree with the motto of Railhead BBQ…
“Life is too short to live in Dallas”​
Left as soon as I could sir, and ain't set foot outside DFW since 2002. My sister (who lives in McKinney) got me a mug with that motto on it, didn't realize that's where it was from. Too funny.

The shirt is brilliant.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire

The death in the early seventies was a roller coaster. Don't recall exactly what it was called, though.
Perhaps the later deaths had more witnesses, making it harder to cover up?
I remember a death at Six Flags Over Texas (in Arlington) being talked about when I was very young—maybe 1973/4? The date isn’t firm in my kind, but I don’t even think I was of school age yet, so it wasn’t one of those Playground Urban Legends told by another kid.

…and you’re right, it was just blip on the news, and quickly hushed up.

I definitely remember the other deaths there in ‘99 and ‘13.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I remember a death at Six Flags Over Texas (in Arlington)...
Dunno why I remembered Six Flags as being in Grand Prairie, maybe those water parks they used to have there and I ran them all together. A lot in Dallas has changed since 1990, my geographic memory is apparently another casualty of time.

Last time I went to Six Flags over Tejas was to see Alabama with Billie Joe Royal opening, circa 1988. Phenomenal show from both.