Happy 40th Birthday London Calling

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by AngelStrummer, Nov 15, 2019.

1. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Just been to this during my lunch break:

https://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/museum-london/whats-on/exhibitions/london-calling-40-years-clash

It really brought me back to that time. Lots of great photos (B&W) by Pennie Smith, lyric sheets, stage clothes, a few guitars, the P-Bass Simonon is smashing on the LP's cover and a few videos, documentaries and live gig footage.

In one of the videos there's some snotty English kids waiting outside a gig venue explaining how they'd been waiting for hours in the freezing cold and that they didn't have any tickets, etc... cut to Strummer and Simonon letting them in through a window and the voiceover explaining how The Clash were constantly at war with CBS over the price of their records, that the band wanted to be kept affordable.

Not likely to happen much nowadays, I'd wager. A sense underscored by the fact that while I was leaving the building I work in (some of you may remember I work for the London Stock Exchange), Nile Rodgers was there being interviewed and attending a reception to plug Hipgnosis (look it up...).

That line in Death Or Glory comes to mind: "And I believe in this and it's been tested by research, that he who ****s nuns will later join the church".

And I wouldn't necessarily exclude myself from those at whom the line is directed... ;)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I remember seeing them in Frisco touring this record. Lee Dorsey opened the show. I thought that was pretty cool, showed that the Clash knew something about the roots of the music.

3. AngelStrummer

Good for you, one of the few bands I never saw live. I did see Strummer and the Mescaleros a couple of times, but not quite the same. The Clash also had Bo Diddley on tour with them in the US, so yeah they knew exactly where they were coming from.

Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In my band, we’ve long talked about how we’re mainly either late boomers/early Gen X.

but there’s a couple guys, that act way older than they are.

So for 10 years now, we’ve said the easiest way to tell boomer from Gen X is whether the Beatles were your Beatles or whether The Clash were your Beatles.

I was late to The Clash. My Sister went to London for her honeymoon and I gave her a list of records to buy. This is right about the time that Sandinista came out. She bought them and then also London Calling because the cover reminded her of me.

Still one of the nicest things anyone’s ever said about me.

5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks @AngelStrummer I didn't know that was on.

I'm 54 and The Jam were my "Beatles". I love the Clash but, honestly. I don't think they have that many great songs. The ones that are great a truly great.

Tezuka27 and Greggorios like this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'm one that my Beatles WERE The Beatles.....but every so often, a new, fresh band would come along that seemed to "re-awaken" the spirit of Rock'n Roll in me. Dire Straits was one of those, as was Springsteen's Born To Run. There have been several others as well, but I have to admit I was a little late to the party with the Clash. While I was aware of them, it wasn't long before they had broken up, and I had to settle for Joe and the Mescaleros as well as Mick's Big Audio Dynamite. Great band!

RetroTeleRod and Greggorios like this.
  7. glenlivet

glenlivet TDPRI Member

Good god......40 years......never thought I'd live that long.
    I agree...London Calling was a defining album. There is definitely a "before" and "after" (at least in my head...)
    When I first started hearing The Clash on the local collage radio station (late at night..on the "new music" program) it was eye opening.
    ...like " I don't know what this is...but I like it!!" ...

tele1.png

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

in addition to pumping out music that was beyond excellent, i have always loved listening to these dudes talk and give interviews. Joe's accent and cadence is fascinating. do any of you UK TDPRI'ers know what part of England his accent is from? Mick sounds like a london accent to me, but i don't have the best ear for this kind of thing.

9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

LANDAN mate

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  10. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

cool. thank ye. i've been to the midlands, but not London yet. saving that trip up for better days = ]

11. AngelStrummer

Strummer was born in Turkey (his dad was a diplomat or something) and then he went to boarding school in England. The thing about accents in the UK is that they are sometimes more about social background and upbringing than they are about geographical origin. Strummer's cadence probably reflects that.

12. AngelStrummer

Your post just reminded me that I too saw Jones's BAD when they supported U2 on the (first) Joshua Tree tour. Thanks for that, man.

13. Dan Skammer

Dan Skammer TDPRI Member

Me and my pals saw them at the Palladium in NYC 9/79 with Sam & Dave and the Undertones opening..it must have been just prior to the albums release ...at the series of shows that weekend, was when Paul Simonon was doing a Pete Townsend smashup with his white Pbass on the stage which became the albums cover I believe .............another footnote, after the Clash concert we went to another NYC club and caught a set of Eddie and the Hotrods,those were the days !

14. jhundt

that bass player had a thing with a girl from our local scene, I think they might have even been married at some point. Funny how one passing post can remind me of so much from the past.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. jhundt

Sam and Dave! Wow I wish I had seen THAT!

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. jhundt

Hey Angelo - what was it I saw from the red bus last time when we were at your place? There was some kind of something dedicated to Joe, down the Edgeware Road before Marble Arch (am I getting these names right?) I remember seeing something out the window and thinking it was cool. A street name, or an alley, or something?

17. AngelStrummer

It was "Joe Strummer Underpass" Jon - basically an underpass to get from one side to the other of the Edgware Road where it crosses the overhead Westway, the latter having been namechecked in London's Burning.

Edit - and yes, you're getting the names right!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  18. AngelStrummer

Heh, that bass player probably had a thing with a whole bunch of girls... Simonon was always the one even my female classmates at school would have the hots for ;)

19. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's

never forget in 1981 when my girlfriends older brother gave me the album to listen to. Changed my musical life forever. AND is the reason i wanted a Telecaster (thanks Joe!!). Prior to that date, we were all Classic Album Rock guys, you know, Lynyrd Skynyrd Journey Bob Seegar Eagles Led Zep REO ad nauseum, etc. I did have some exposure to Ramones and Bowie prior to that, which probably made it easier for a transition! But this opened a door to all punk, post punk, indie, etc for me! One of my favorite albums of all time, i will pull out the old Vinyl tonight, and have a toast to the Clash!

I did get to see them in 1985, but it was the bastardized version after Mick left. Still it was cool to see Joe, and got to see him several additional times before his death. Saw BAD a couple of times, including the tour with PIL

Long Live the Clash

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for this AngelStrummer, I'm really enjoying this!

AngelStrummer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.