Happy 20th to Norah's breakout hit

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Released 1/28/2002. Such a satisfying progression to just roll through.

I'll be honest, I didn't much care for her or this even tune ("Snorah" is still legit funny) until I heard her take on Cold Cold Heart. We've seen her three times since, total pro.

1643459249469.png

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
In the summer of 2002, I bought Norah’s CD and a new Prius, which we drove from Missouri to Camden, Maine. I must have listened to that CD 50 times on that trip.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
The “Foreverly” album of Everly Brothers covers that she made with Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day is pretty great.

I must’ve posted something about this record a dozen times here. One of my favorite albums of all time, so respectful and just flawless. They sound incredible together.

Love her work with M Ward too, caught them on this tour:

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Norah’s a national treasure!
And the pride of Grapevine!
I really enjoy her music. The band she put together with Jim Campilongo "The Little Willies" were/are really good.

Her dad, Ravi Shankar was a pretty good string player himself.
View attachment 945693

And her half sister, Anoushka Shankar is a strong player.

Talented family.

The sisters have done some work together that is really something else. Highly recommended.

Love both LW albums. Roly Poly is one of the first songs I can remember hearing as a toddler (grandma was a Bob Wills megafan), great song to lead off that first one.

She had a one or two off punk band where she played bass iirc?

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
I always thought her first album was brilliant- so did the critics, until it sold so many copies that they decided there must be something wrong with her. Sexiest voice since Emmy Lou Harris came along- in large part because she (neither of them) is really trying for it, unfailing musicianship. I've checked in a few times since-Daybreak, Live album- a lot of nice work, though I thought the live album was a bit less immediate than her earlier work- her style is best served by an intimate situation.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
No dis to Don and Phil but the Foreverly version is 🔥🔥🔥 That "woo" at ~4:30

She always has a great band and is terrific live. Her work with the Little Willies is awesome. She’s a great interpreter of classic country.
Agree, completely at ease with an audience. Funny, charming, and whoever her sound guy has been the times I've seen her needs an award. Like being at a taping for ACL.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Norah keeps getting better. I have two playlists and two concerts I can bring with me in the car. And she not only looks good with a Fender Mustang. She can play it, very tastefully.
The first time we saw her (2007?) she said she was ‘just learning’ on that little red stang, and proceeded to rip. Having M Ward on the bus will help, that dude is a *player* imo.

Also bears mentioning she is a helluva pianist. Really nice touch and damn can she play country.

Esquire Jones

Tele-Meister
Man, she’s just great. I hate to be a stick in the mud, but I wish she would let someone new produce some of her music. Not that I don’t love her more self produced stuff, cause I do love it all. But I dunno, maybe a different flavor would be cool too. Huge fan.