1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hanging (Folding) Workbench?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by rdwhitti, Oct 18, 2018.

1. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Does anybody here have and use a wall mounted folding workbench? I need something for my garage but don't want to take up the space for a "normal" workbench. I don't plan any heavy projects but I want it to be stable enough for light work including some power tools. I have looked at several that come with the folding shelf brackets and top, and have also looked at buying the brackets and adding a top, such as a 2 foot x 4 foot sheet of 3/4" MDF. I don't have a table saw at the moment but it might be nice to make it the same height as a table saw for use as an extension table (is there a standard?). I have considered a DIY using a benchtop and hinges to mount it to a header, but don't know how to go about making legs that would be stable enough.

A few that I have come across so far:

Brackets + Top:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0722ZQWRS/?tag=tdpri-20

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Industr...ding-Wall-Mount-Workbench-WSHD48FWB/302769459

Brackets:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Knape-V...-Shelf-Bracket-in-White-HD-206-16WH/203906172

Any ideas?

2. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Years ago I had one I used continually. Unfortunately I no longer have it or pics. It was nothing more than 3/4" plywood top with a 2x4s on edge around the bottom for a frame. I put cross supports forward to back for stiffness as needed. For the hinges to mount it to the wall I just used standard heavy door hinges. I attached a 2x4 screwed across the wall studs that the hinges screwed to on the wall. For legs I hunge some 2×4s on the frame with a single bolt through them for a pivot. When the table came down the legs came down and sat on the floor.

To hold the table in place when swung to the up position I mounted a heavy slide gate catch that caught a U bolt I mounted to the front. The legs automatically swung in when the table was raised. I am sure that explanation leaves some to be desired.

At the time I was doing engine rebuilds so it had many a head and crankshaft and transmission on it and stood the test.

Eric

3. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Thanks for the reply Eric, I think that I understand what you are describing. I looked at fold-up workbenches similar to this but the legs are either mounted to the end caps (like on yours) and stick out from the wall where they hit the rear apron when folded up, or they are mounted to the front and fold sideways but that means the bench must be more then twice as long as the legs to fit flush. You could also mount the legs to the ends and angle them toward the wall and hook them onto a 2x4 mounted horizontally on the wall, but that might not be too stable. Still looking at plans before I commit.

eallen likes this.
  4. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Saw horses and a piece of plywood they do make folding sawhorses. It's easy to move it around and set up anywhere

5. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

6. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

I had one of those years ago in another life and it worked well outdoors where I used it at the time. However I want something bigger in the garage and just ordered a wall hanging workbench:

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...station/1252048qb/p-1459184957061-c-19492.htm

Is was the same that I saw elsewhere for much more and it is cheaper even with shipping than I can make anything decent.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  7. xaxxat

xaxxat TDPRI Member

Saw this on youtube. It might give you some ideas.

8. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You can simply add 2x4 legs on hinges, that drop down. Like in the video above, with the chain, add some chain to keep the legs from going beyond 90 degrees and you should be good to go. Or, even better, us what they call trunk lid supports.

Trunk Lid Supports

I made a folding table for an upholstery shop to go in their mobile upholstery truck.

Here's my son demonstrating our handiwork:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  9. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Thanks all, I bought a hanging workbench (The Quickbench) from Menard's for less than I could build it, and it looks much nicer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.