Handwinding Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by CFFF, Feb 13, 2020 at 2:07 PM.

1. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

I have seen little machines likes these on ebay for 30 dollars. With a little modification they can be good for winding pickups I think. Anybody here using them?

[​IMG]

2. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

That's a lot of turns for doing it manually!
    Perhaps, good exercise though? :-D

CFFF likes this.
  3. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Makes "hand wound" literally true!

CFFF, Geo and JL_LI like this.
  4. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

It has gearing. Looks like two speeds, by shifting that back shaft left or right, and high speed looks like maybe 30 to 1. Turn the crank only a few hundred times. Looks magnificent if all of that is steel. Hey, what about the shipping cost?

CFFF likes this.
  5. LetItGrowTone

Without the machine: If, once started, you could average three turns per second by hand, it would take about an hour to wind 10K turns (3x60x60 = 10,800). Turns need not be laid out neatly side by side. In fact, "scatterwound" is a thing, right? Stopping to rest, still looks like an afternoon job. Am I missing something?

Also, about counting the turns: I think in most cases one could just wind to a desired resistance without counting the turns.

CFFF likes this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Seymour Duncan started by winding pickups on a record player. He thought he was really cooking when he found a 78rpm machine.

Remember there is a mile of wire in a typical pickup.

If you read about Lollar, he started by dismantling an antique sewing machine ... don't do that. Those old cast iron machines can run generations still. The key items you need are the motor and speed controller that you can buy a replacement set on Amazon for about $20.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G9NFXN8/?tag=tdpri-20

[​IMG]
    If you feel you must dismantle a sewing machine ... get one that's made in a plastic case since the 1980s or newer. People won't miss those.

The next challenging part is making a pickup bobbin mounting plate.
    Don't use double sided tape unless you like to get hit with a bobbin flying off.
    Build it with a through bolt.

CFFF, Matthias and LetItGrowTone like this.
  7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I use a modified pencil sharpener to wind low Z pickups w big gauge wire. That's basically what that is. Works fine for tens or hundreds of winds, but thousands might be boring and give you carpel tunnel.

CFFF and LetItGrowTone like this.
  8. LetItGrowTone

[Off topic, sorry, but just feel like telling someone: My Rickenbacker bass pickups are wound with 44. Some people unwind some (measured with DC resistance, from about 11K down to maybe 8K). But you know, the inductance decreases faster than the resistance, so the improvement is probably less than expected. According to my understanding, I'd probably like them better with 42. Haven't considered heavier than that. Thanks for listening. :) ]

CFFF likes this.
  9. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Big gauge makes great p-ups if you re happy w hi-fi flat eq and don t want frequency roll off or peaks. It's linear so if you do 600 winds instead of 6000 you just boost it 10 x w an opamp. I play thru an opamp mostly w normal p-ups, so it's standard for me.

CFFF and LetItGrowTone like this.
  10. LetItGrowTone

For BASS, "hi-fi flat eq" sounds good for me, but:

I don't like pickup self-resonance (normally at about 3KHz) so I keep the tone rolled off on 6-string or bass, but I do like the resonance between the pickup inductance and the tone capacitor, at near tone=0, normally at about 300Hz. This isn't usually mentioned, but I always loved it, 6-string or bass.

So, if I were to rewind with larger wire, my goal would be to increase the prominence of that second resonance a little (by decreasing the DC resistance that damps it). The Ric bass pickups are pretty dead in this regard compared to J pickups.

Just sharing my thoughts. I have no experience trying this.

Yeah, I have no philosophical objection to electronics onboard.

CFFF likes this.
  11. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

Sewing machine with a foot pedal speed control --- use a bicycle speedometer that counts wheel revolutions with a magnetic sensor

CFFF likes this.
  12. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

I think this machine has a ratio of 8/1. It would take a long time to make a pickup but it can really be hand wound. I think that our enthusiasm might fade quickly though!

It has a turn counter already :)

13. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

What's this machine originally for?

CFFF likes this.
  14. LetItGrowTone

If so, then turning the handle once per second gets 10,000 turns in just 21 minutes (8x60x21=10,080).

CFFF likes this.
  15. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

Winding coils

ponce likes this.
  16. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

Ok not so bad but maybe difficult to wind with one hand and have the other hand steady while traversing across the bobbin?

17. LetItGrowTone

Hard to tell how big it is, but that shaft (onto which the bobbin is mounted) could be a problem if it's too large in diameter.

CFFF likes this.
  18. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Imagine winding 9000 winds with that you could grow a beard and have a forearm like popeye

19. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Meister

Your money would be better spent on a Thrift store sewing machine.

CFFF likes this.
  20. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

My winder is my drill. I chuck a neo magnet in, clamp the drill down. Stick another neo onto the pickup via the pole pieces and then connect the two neos together.

Drill rpm isnt too bad and the neo to neo acts a like a limiter. If your copper wire gets snagged the drill keeps turning but the pickup stays still and your wire doesnt snap.

Thought uts worth throwing out there because most people have a drill and a couple of neos are cheap.

If your bothered about number of turns it may not suit you though, I typically wind till the bobbin looks like its filling up, then measure the dc. Then wind some more until im in the 6-7k region.

CFFF likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.