1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hands on - SV20 v Origin 20 Head.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mad Kiwi, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I did a brief test of the SV20 Head and Origin 20 head this morning, I plan on comparing more over the weekend.

Note - this is with the SV jumpered and input into the Top left (high gain, bright?) side as is considered "normal" in a '70s / Rock / Led Zep context on 5-watt mode and the O20 in middle (3 watt?) mode

At this stage, I think the Origin 20 is 90% (possibly more) of the way towards the SV in terms of similarity of tone.

I consider the Origin 20 a bright amp but surprisingly the SV is slightly brighter at lower gain but less bright/warmer at a higher gain (is that the bright cap working?).

The SV is definitely louder and less manageable than the O20 which is VERY flexible with its 3-way attenuation switch.

I also plan to test the O20 direct out into my Helix with Cab/IR's only. If this works well it is a REAL advantage of the O20 in that it can do this without a speaker load or sound.

The SV has a slightly more direct/ I am part of you, connection with the Amp, which is VERY unforgiving but enjoyable (very much like a Tele is revealing of your playing).

I suspect that if I had both to compare pre-purchase and bearing the near double price in mind, I would have stayed with the O20.

However, knowing you have a "Plexi" and the direct-to-hands feel is pretty compelling.

I will post thoughts further if anyone is interested? (I'm hoping for a get-together jam with our drummer tomorrow night, and will take both).

Axis29, TIM5150 and Jakedog like this.
  2. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Post more. I’ve been thinking about an Origin 20 combo on and off. I dont’ t think I’d splurge for the SV20 but definitely interested in the comparison.

3. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I’m certainly interested in hearing more. I have an SV20C ordered, in my quest for tres hombres tones

4. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Subscribed- really interested in hearing more, especially about the sv20.

5. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I shelled out for the SV20.
    Glad I did.

hotcoffeenochill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.