Handpainted headstock logo

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by archiemax, Apr 4, 2020.

1. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

So I'm making a Tele for the other guitarist in our band; he wanted a replica of George's rosewood Tele so I meticulously stained the mahogany body and maple neck with water-based General Finishes "Cabernet" stain. Lookin' good so far. So he wants to have a friend hand-paint his name or whatever on the headstock and then send it back to me to clear-coat and assemble. I'm used to using wipe-on Poly on bodies and necks & have had very good success with it. Whatever artwork the gal does, I'm gonna have her paint a sample on scrap before I complete this project. So the questions are:

Should I put a coat of poly on top of the stain before she paints it?
    What kind of paint should she optimally use on her end?
    Are there any kinds of paint she should specifically avoid when she does her thing?
    And assuming she uses enamel or acrylic artist paints, would we have a problem if I put another coat or two of wipe-on poly on top of it? (Like I said, gonna scrap-test anyway.) Or should I use spray lacquer? Whaddya think??

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I'd do a coat of poly (If that's what you're going with anyway) just to protect your wood and give her a flat surface to paint on.

I wouldn't get lacquer involved in this at all.

I believe poly is rather non-reactive with either artists acrylics or enamels.

The scrap piece is an excellent idea.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  3. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Thanks for the ree-ply; I figured a thin coat of poly on top of the stain would be a good start. I'll be posting pics here on TDPRI when this project's done, so stay tuned. Thanks again.

RodeoTex likes this.
  4. TampaMan

TampaMan Tele-Meister

I would never allow anyone to hand paint something on my headstock without me being there. I've seen way too many disasters of people doing this and it ends up with your (and everyone else's) attention drawn to the ugly mess.

It is safer to have her make the artwork and then, if not already digitized, digitize it and hand it off to a silk screener to apply. People can't do neat calligraphy these days and I do not want my hard-earned money messed up with a poor, ugly job.

But also, there is the GF factor you have to deal with. She would have to be a top-notch artist for me to even let her touch a headstock. In one case I walked a girl through the process; had her work it out on paper to correct size and space of the headstock and then do a carbon transfer of the image to the wood. Then I had her mask off the area and then apply the paint. It turned out she was a very good artist and it looked great. Got a lot of compliments for her.

Of course, if your friend doesn't give a damn how it looks then go ahead.

5. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Thanks for the reply; I'm sure he wouldn't have her do the job if she wasn't capable of it. And it's HIS guitar, not mine, so I'm gonna let him proceed with it & wish me luck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.