Handgun Comparison

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
There’s just something about 1911s that makes me drool, I’ve been looking into investing in a nice one for a while. Currently I have a Kimber Commander style, I believe it’s the Pro Carry. Heckuva nice unit, but not something I carry regularly.

YEP!

My I suggest an Alchemy Prime.... Yep $3K BUT compare that to a CS Telecaster and the fact these 1911s are hand made to a MUCH more intense degree than a guitar and you'll agree a bargain! 7-11 month lead time but I know a shop that always seem to have 1 or 2 on the shelf....

I LOVE mine!

I have a 365 for EDC. That thing is amazing accurate BUT I'd rather have a 1911 if I needed help!

https://alchemy1911.com/product/prime/

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
YEP!

My I suggest an Alchemy Prime.... Yep $3K BUT compare that to a CS Telecaster and the fact these 1911s are hand made to a MUCH more intense degree than a guitar and you'll agree a bargain! 7-11 month lead time but I know a shop that always seem to have 1 or 2 on the shelf....

I LOVE mine!

I have a 365 for EDC. That thing is amazing accurate BUT I'd rather have a 1911 if I needed help!

https://alchemy1911.com/product/prime/

I can afford the gun, but right now I can’t afford to feed it!

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
.45 ACP is under .50 a rnd now.... ;D

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/45acp

9mm is still insane, which is what most of my collection is. This is one of the reasons I'm looking into adding another 45 to the safe, because I really do enjoy going to the range (I find it therapeutic) and I have been holding off because of the cost of ammo.

Here's my lone 45:

IMG_0992.jpeg

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
9mm is still insane, which is what most of my collection is. This is one of the reasons I'm looking into adding another 45 to the safe, because I really do enjoy going to the range (I find it therapeutic) and I have been holding off because of the cost of ammo.

Here's my lone 45:

View attachment 918220

Beautiful!

<Edit>

I can't say this without someone hating me, so I'll just say it.

Right before the lock down, I loaded 4000 rounds of 9mm ball . . . 14 cents a round.

Last edited:

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Beautiful!

<Edit>

I can't say this without someone hating me, so I'll just say it.

Right before the lock down, I loaded 4000 rounds of 9mm ball . . . 14 cents a round.

I'm a bit upset with myself for not getting into reloading when I had the chance, but it wasn't really cost effective for 9mm because the cost difference was negligible.

Since we're all here, I've been having some printing issues with my 26. Maybe you guys might have some pointers...

IMG_0842.jpeg

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I'm a bit upset with myself for not getting into reloading when I had the chance, but it wasn't really cost effective for 9mm because the cost difference was negligible.

Since we're all here, I've been having some printing issues with my 26. Maybe you guys might have some pointers...

View attachment 918227

My wife is my range partner. Before the lockdown, we were shooting about 400 rnds a month each.

We have 6 gun shows within an hour's drive every year and I go on the last day to see what I can find that the vendors don't want to haul off (usually powder).
My big score was at my local police range. The mayor was my neighbor and he was the RSO one day. He saw me picking up my brass and said, "Stone, there's a trashcan full of brass in the shack . . . take what you want" :eek::eek::eek:. I swear, I felt like I'd won the lottery.

Last edited:

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My wife is my range partner. Before the lockdown, we were shooting about 400 rnds a month.

We have 6 gun shows within an hour's drive every year and I go on the last day to see what I can find that the vendors don't want to haul off (usually powder).
My big score was at my local police range. The mayor was my neighbor and he was the RSO one day. He saw me picking up my brass and said, "Stone, there's a trashcan full of brass in the shack . . . take what you want" :eek::eek::eek:. I swear, I felt like I'd won the lottery.

I used to go to the range every Wednesday and Sunday, and typically ran up to 500 rounds per visit. This ammo situation is making me crazy. I'm sitting on plenty of both ball and JHP in 22LR, 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP, but am not running any due to the cost of replacement (plus it's unobtanium locally).

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I agree that I won't ever buy anything that isn't comfortable to hold and operate, but this site goes a long way in seeing how what you don't have compares to what you do for size and weight. Then again, my buddy ordered his Hellcat without ever test firing one, his decision was based solely on the size and capacity alone, so I guess there are more out there like him that are the same way and would use the site differently than I would.
Yup. This is like people with their crappy 1911s,:rolleyes:

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I used to go to the range every Wednesday and Sunday, and typically ran up to 500 rounds per visit. This ammo situation is making me crazy. I'm sitting on plenty of both ball and JHP in 22LR, 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP, but am not running any due to the cost of replacement (plus it's unobtanium locally).

1000 rnds a month would certainly improve your return on investment. I didn't plan on breaking even for years, but I got my press at a gun show, picked up powder and primers at gun shows (with no shipping hazard fee), and the free brass at the range didn't hurt. I want to see the availability of powder and primers return before I go back to 800 rnds a month.

Last edited:

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member

Here's my lone 45:

View attachment 918220

Nice Kimber!

I had a TLE 1911 that I got at the height of Kimber's MIM disasters! It was a fine shooter but I was never comfortable knowing they had cut corners and were basically falling apart at that time. The TLE was flawless and more accurate than I was!

A good buddy was/is a 1911 snob and got me interested in the Alchemy. I can tell you it is flawless and a huge bang for the buck! When I got it I had picked out a Les Baer Hemi after trying a Wilson Combat, another LB, an Ed Brown and even toyed with an out of my budget Nighthawk. They ALL felt over priced. The Alchemy felt underpriced and was clearly superior in every aspect! Plus I'm a sucker for traditional blued steel.

Alchemy's are still made by just a couple guys and machine every part in house from finest tool steel.

After years of Colts and Kimber's and Ruger's and Springfields I can say my 1911 hunt is over!

Last edited:

Beachbum

Poster Extraordinaire

Here's my lone 45:

View attachment 918220

This one keeps me safe.
_SWH0lZl-pX_g2tGYgA0ITYJX6mgcI2hMaQ3AAadRkltsESd96ZhZL5e8W20cnpmfs67wkwFxlRDcngR9uRITgGK_dtj-IdcBOsywyPfas_qzazvnAfkf8qLPqfRkR7_8o6TU_-JZxxqGZgIZzV3kXebCkto_754TYrQgg0kyo508uUNLyin7RV9b8eH_cNF8_y5xFhmiuOH-cyL32jBRm81_ucdvUqBejlt8KYMJJmMzwmaK4e6OOeCgLhPdsy5KWNXkQsE2BhNr5Une1n2LC86vOV9VFl4Adiwa4rC_fJjsOkX_kHf6zSp-sOsrYQEwNQ65oap4nptzSMpUEQv4pnYhzDsBGOionZQIg4ToZL4Sc-S_F3j7_DLFMrYcjw-cvbEPOqenxsPYxXVddK-5frNpzYjfWo--R20Mxh9ggFzxhLmw8bd5w1iUl_8vp6_fxu8TWhUV8E-1eh6KgcPPjfPJri1cAHIrLG3P8soLVWCMoFEg1h007gt9RyzoD6VkR-RqFfVJBhT9z8PYJxd2ap0iUN7XGo53wISzJr5V-snxEZIMvs_dsv8jICSxzngArjZ6QBJ4_tmt7yj8AHiApj_klX9FAEhLwtOFhSpcSQbamo3XDWOV1SetHVlepUzRmnWXAzLgAwp4l1nMgEP7rE01V3-SLUTU11JWbPuUgK_NF4F3PGeQ7y3eybvjBTIeSPdVx4EX4QkzCWPxoOAxJkT=w640-h484-no

This one keeps me affordably accurate.
3rw1KbGnHUml3lmXeSp01oHG0xEhF7ZJYrDMuOjK-LLO2iaOqinL2Xwr9Bii06xIYGOPHVNnfF3K_QXnqaHHc4jgP0qRJHky5SKA6CSmjAVgMXyFPgdn2fpZ3NtrwMDss59sc6hV1_ucLKSjo6n12iSVV5-4rmCxpAqFAH7DKziMG8JaqcTptmeq62s1RK1tC5YnRQGOMEAjdqtPiSa_lCWcAfigA6YzUapCnul7P2DaLni56Pl_V2zDCWAsycpqauaKIMpsC-oupiVKmuBf5i8sVcEh4T9a6EOzwk9eKeY9vlvkWcgI2wwuAiZJ5acCHKOvCm6EkBRC3MwVlTMxR-SyF7NyT32twsnpNSFKW78xt5EAG2eHzDuXmS5trHrX2Y6c6nr2KC8seMNmJNdDnSzaHVqEZpndv6tgs6Fdc_uUnXP-3gWe6y7ZXvqZcIJXhcp-CDX7HXOHaxiRImFYbl5uNyrh88Fy3sas4vn2KRoI276FtERO6Keh28zO7RQUAYArMLyswbp4dBzc3GZ2NjHSR89IqIjogNhFfDhqUbBMw2eD6Tw62oLrXEPkzIf-UoPFB2pTQsN5LMSUMf19pdXycbrYaUl10kK_m7t-qmhcQ10dVzhZu5W6QZMeX6zSLAnjMP-Wh9qtKRSS6SL4gGMgkaVjPZ-TAEZYcYeFi-C4eAtLsuuh7qDgKRnKAijeL7bHY0hk3NdpB6xWnsnapvQb=w640-h482-no

Oh, and the booze stays at home. :)

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
The hero program is nice. Much better than my paper, pencil and ruler comparisons;).

EDC for me is usually a SW 638 with CT grips (all the better to see you with in the dark). Five to stay alive.

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
i've bought 4 1911s this year. i am enchanted by the trigger, everything else doesn't feel right. there's really fine CZ 75 in a LGS near me, but after 1911's, it feels like 2 inches of take-up in the trigger.

GreatDaneRock

Tele-Afflicted
Sig P320 compact, nuff said! My carry and nightstand pistol. I also have a Springfield 1911 range officer, awesome, all stainless, and the venerable a Ruger Mark IV 22LR with mounted optics, call of duty style. So much fun. My real combat scenario weapon is my amazing Spike's tactical AR-15, not cheap, especially with some of the upgrades I have, but it will get the job done in any conditions, anywhere.

Oh, happy Veterans Day to those who served. Thank you for your service.

Stay frosty my fellow guitarist.