Hand wired versus SMP!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by thecornman, Oct 3, 2014.

1. thecornman

thecornman Tele-Meister

In what way is a hand wired pedal going to sound better or be more reliable then a SMP pedal using the same parts?

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Probably sound the same except for discontinued parts that aren't available as SMD. Might include components that are more expensive whereas an SMD mass produced pedal might be more likely to sub in less expensive versions of nearly the same thing. Those choices in my opinion would have an unclear effect on overall sound. Maybe good, maybe same, maybe worse. It's in the ear of the beholder anyway.

Might be more reliable in that the jacks and switch will be mounted to the enclosure and not to the PCB. Will be more repairable, although the repair may cost the same as a brand new replacement of the SMD mass produced version.

3. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

Both methods will sound the same. Even the notoriously picky maker of the Klon (finnegan) went with SMD in the end and claims the sound is identical.

As far as reliability, both methods can be equally reliable when done correctly. You could argue that hand assembled circuits are easier to modify and repair if necessary, that's probably the only advantage of one vs the other.
    JMHO.

4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

IF you are in a bind and have to repair it fast for a show, that is a huge advantage.

5. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you listen with your eyes - not uncommon - you might hear better sounds from the technology that cost more and has a name that has words in it like "swollen", "puss", "mad", "hand-painted/hand-wired", etc ....

... but hear bad things from cases with "bob-, bill-, or danelectro" on the top.

6. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

it will sound better when you you go to sell it

"hand wired, gooped, mojo out the wazoo!"

sounds better than

"mass produced"

7. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Because the internet says so.

8. tube.tone

tube.tone Tele-Meister

Serviceability is the biggest argument. Components and connections are bigger and accessible what makes countless desoldering and soldering possible and easy.

What really bothers me on electronics is the disposable nature of "most things" that are mass produced. I tend to keep stuff for a long time so longevity and serviceability are a plus.

As an exemple, I own a solid state stereo system built in 1974, I have just replaced every single electrolitic capacitors, serviced all pots and it's good to go for another 40 years.

Yes, it sounds better than anything newly produced I could afford. :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.