Hand tingling and numbness/ Posture

maxmagnus

TDPRI Member
So many ways we can damage
our bodies 🙁
When I was 20, I broke my neck and it took 5-6 yrs before my right hand and arm stopped going numb~that was 50 yrs ago now🤔

This past winter while splitting wood I
did some kind of nerve thing to inside of right thumb. It felt like hitting your funny bone, just grabbing anything with my right hand set it off. That is just going away in the last week or two.

It always takes time to heal. PT/OT can probably give you exercises and things to that will help alleviate your trouble~
yes, I have several exercices to do, the funny part is that most of them were alreay on YT. Of course, you need to know which ones you need, how often you have to do them etc..

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
I currently have exactly the same issue, it's happened on a few prolonged occasions over the course of the past 25 years.
All have been the result of long periods of being bed bound and during this period it has come about from muscle wastage in the arms and upper back. Lying on my side and leaning on my left elbow causes the nerves in my elbow and around my left shoulder blade to come under pressure.

The only way any treatment is effective is complete avoidance of leaning on my left during the treatment. Fortunately, I sleep on my front/right, so at least sleep doesn't exacerbate it.

Out of the various treatments I've had (all okayed by my Doc), the most effective I've had are: Dry Needling, Acupuncture, Mayo Fascial Release and Massage. All have been in along with hand, arm and body stretching exercises every 2nd day.
Meds and anti-inflammatories just kick the can further down the road.

Just my own experience, good luck with however you choose to remedy it.

6stringcowboy

Friend of Leo's
I tried but could not address this issue with non-surgical means. Ended up having "decompaction and relocation" of the ulnar nerve in my left (fretting) hand as I was losing sensation in my middle, ring, and little fingers of that hand. I was back to 95% after 6 weeks and would hazard to guess 99% now.

Good luck.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Wish you luck on your issues.
Just the other day I was fishing with a group. Everyone started talking about their tingling
and waking up at night and having arm numb, or biking or pushing lawn mower.
Hate this getting old crap.

maxmagnus

TDPRI Member
Wish you luck on your issues.
Just the other day I was fishing with a group. Everyone started talking about their tingling
and waking up at night and having arm numb, or biking or pushing lawn mower.
Hate this getting old crap.
I hear you

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I am thinking you are playing setting down from the post but I had the other issue, hand tingling while standing.

It did not matter the guitar, whether it was a four string or five string bass, or a tele or a stratocaster. I would get this tingle and numbness in my left hand while playing. What I figured out by accident was I had bought a new strap, a nice leather padded strap which I put straplocks on that fit all my guitars. Then I was at rehearsal and realized I forgot my strap. I carry an old flat leather Fender strap in my bag for just such an emergency. I went through the entire rehearsal with no issues. Next time I used the padded leather strap and the hand went numb. Swapped right after rehearsal and went back to the old Fender flat strap, no issues.

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
As others, I had something similar and it always came down to something I was doing. My desk/chair setup was the culprit once and once I found and corrected that it went away.

Another thing, not exactly the numb/tingling issue, was a sickening pain in my left forearm when playing guitar and it was getting worse and worse. I was getting really worried. I tried different positions, etc. and different guitars. It turned out to be three things, I am pretty sure anyway, which I changed. Bending strings low on the neck (cowboy chord area), a neck that was too fat for me, and playing with too hard of a grip. I changed these things anyway and it all went away. It has not even shown a hint of coming back actually but it was getting really bad before.

I hope you get yours sorted out soon.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
It's almost surely not CTS, since the fingers affected are the pinky and the ring finger. I play a strat now, I thought about trying a different guitar, a smaller scale, lighter one, like the LP DC junior in the orignal post, but I never considered that a heavier guitar might be beneficial, thanks for the suggestion.

A Strat could be a bad choice in this regard. Because it has the thin and rounded bout side, you have to use some body-english to keep it upright. A change to a square-bouted Tele or LP might be better. You'd have to try to find out. Shorter scale of a Gibson might help, or, as mentioned, effectively longer (SG) might help. I tend to think longer is worse for this because it causes you to close off nerves in the forearm as your wrist takes on more of an angle playing the cowboy end. That brings us back around to the Strat being non-optimal too.