Hand problem:

roeg

Tele-Meister
Nerve or blood flow related. Rule out. One possibility. Subclavian vein...or artery impingement. Position dependent. Treat conservatively. Surgery is always a last resort. CT scans are helpful, if the timing is right, to confirm.(arterial and venous runoffs,to see the vessels). Doppler Ultrasound can be helpful too.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I just can't sleep on my stomach and turn my neck full left/right to breathe...

old neck problems.... pins and needles /dead arm when sleeping in an odd positions sometimes...

think of how many times you snap/twist your neck playing Golf.... you may not feel it but you get extended movement over and over...

my neck discs are stuffed from wearing welding helmets/bike helmets for many years.

Rowdyman

Tele-Holic
Have you ever had a neck injury/whiplash??

I get this sometimes,, among other strange effects...

Good luck! probably should mention this to your doctor TD.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Before my recent carpal tunnel surgery, a nerve conduction study was done to confirm my nerve entrapment and determine whether the entrapment of my median nerves was in my neck, my elbows or my wrists. The procedure is not particularly pleasant, involving attaching electrodes to various places on my neck, arms and hands, then being shocked in various places with a thing that looks like a pen with a wire on it.

The electrodes are connected to an electronic measuring device that measures the travel time of the electric impulse from the pen to the electrode and some other parameter that indicates the degree of nerve blockage.

Another part of the study is EMG, which involves sticking a charged, very thin needle into various muscles, with the machine converting the electrochemical signal from the muscles into sound.

It took about an hour, and the doctor who performed the study was able to determine that the numbness in my hands was due to entrapment in my carpal tunnels rather than where the median nerve leaves my spine and passes through vertebrae in my neck.

The carpal tunnel surgery provided immediate relief, so that I slept better, not being awaked by numbness and eventually pain in my hands.

Find a hand surgeon or physical medicine doctor or physical therapist. Nerve damage can be permanent, so it's best to not delay.
Me too, all what Harry said.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Both hands, no pillows. ;)

Man I'm sure sorry that you're going through this. I have the same issue for many years now, but just always figured it was cause I was sleeping on my arms/hands wrong. The diff is that it does go away when I move vs. in your case where it seems to stick around. Keeping you from playing guitar, and messing with your golf, is a real PITA man... I'd go see your doc sooner rather than later, and keep us posted on what they say. I for one would be very curious to know! Will be keeping happy thoughts for you TD!

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Go to the doctor. Those are the symptoms of (among other things) poor circulation due to atherosclerosis.

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
TD, sounds like Type II Diabetes.
Are You into Carbs heavily???
Rice, Potatoes, etc...
What about Sugar???
Cereal, Ice Cream, Bread???
I was into all of that 'til they shoved me into the ambulance 🚑.
Ignored EVERYTHING.

If You're pushing 70 might be time to meet Mr. Keto Y'know my friend.
The first 72 hours are withdrawal time and then freedom. If You can walk where You won't slip You'll drop 100 pounds in the first year - we all do/did. Plus inflammation says he's outta here.
But it's not about the weight loss as much as it's about getting back to Your under 35
years old self.
Enjoy the trip!!!

Tarkus60

Tele-Holic
I have the same....sleep too much on one side...I wake up with my arm numb and hand....
Have not found a cure.......
And then throw in tinnitus and you have a ticking time bomb........

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Get a pillow for neck support and give it a try. It is clearly nerve compression and likely at the neck if it doesn't happen when sleeping on your back.

I fractured my neck in 2 places years ago and before it was repaired, I would have numbness down my left arm and left leg...especially while sleeping as I am a side sleeper only. Even after the surgery, I still had problems with numbness until I started using a cervical gel pillow.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Have you ever had a neck injury/whiplash??

I get this sometimes,, among other strange effects...

Good luck! probably should mention this to your doctor TD.
That is a good possibility
I got ran into at a traffic light several years ago. I had some neck damage but work prevented me from seeking treatment.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Deepest sympathy and concern. Especially since I can relate directly to the many symptoms and suggested "cures"

But one thing I would like to clarify if I may...
...This was good news because it meant that the problem was inflation and not long term damage...

Despite the rumors many might be spreading, I am quite certain this is not the result of inflation...

🙃 Sorry, couldnt let that one slide... :cool:

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Do you sleep with your arms under you? That it doesn't happen when you lay on the back sort of sounds like it might be a nerve thing. But if you're getting pins during the day, that could lead to possibly being diabetes or something else. Or it could just be your nerves being aggravated from the night before.

I sleep in the number 10 position on this page (below). On my side, but my arms are out in front of me. I have a bad left shoulder so it gets aggravated if I sleep too long on my left side, but on my right side it's great. I have had a few nights were my whole arm was completely numb and I couldn't even move it, but that hasn't happened in a while. I think when it happened I was actually completely laying on my arm. In any case, I would get it checked.

lowatter

Tele-Holic
I've been taking Gabapentin for years now and it really seems to help. I have major cervical neck issues and had 2 fusions to date and I have another nerve impingement at C4. Degenerative disk disease is no picnic.
I wish you well with your issues.

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
You're impinging a nerve or restricting blood flow. If your hands cold, blood flow. If it's numb but warm, nerve impingement. I get this, and have to sleep on my side, with a pillow between my arm and chest.

Rowdyman

Tele-Holic
They told me back then that it's usually about 7 years, more or less,
after the injury before the onset of symptoms.
In my case that coincided exactly with a car crash, in which I was the undisputed loser.
I hope that isn't the case for you as the prognosis for disk-damage from 'whiplash' is not good.

RM

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I've been taking Gabapentin for years now and it really seems to help. I have major cervical neck issues and had 2 fusions to date and I have another nerve impingement at C4. Degenerative disk disease is no picnic.
I wish you well with your issues.

The thing about fusions is that the expectation is 10 years before an adjacent level goes bad....at least that is what my docs warned me about. My fractures lead to 2 levels being fused (c2-c3 / c4-c5) with titanium plates about 17 years ago. A year back, the atlas bone "slipped" after falling asleep in a chair. I couldn't move my head at all, severe pain, seizures, etc. There are no surgercal options with the atlas bone, so I had to cross my fingers, take strong pain killers and muscle relaxers....after 4 days, it slid back into place.

It scared the hell out of me, but I have been good since. I wouldn't get another level fused at this point, better off getting the disc replaced by an artificial one like they do in other countries. I don't remember if it was South America or what now, but somebody created an artifical cervical disk that rotates and flexes like the original...he even replaces fusions with the artificial discs. I met a contractor that flew out of country to have it done and said that it was nothing short of a miracle, pain free and full movement again.

Expensive though....still probably worth it as the new disc not only restores full movement, but will out-live us all and not degrade.