Hand-painting (decorating) a guitar body

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Revo, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Revo

Revo TDPRI Member

Hey all!
    For a long time my plan has been to hand-paint a Telecaster (possibly a Stratocaster, we'll see!) body, the idea is to follow George Harrison's "Rocky", Jimmy Page's '59 Telecaster, Keith Richards' LP Custom (you get the idea!), so one could say that I'm decorating the guitar body. The idea is to buy an Allparts - body (other manufacturers can be recommended), as those are the best bang for the buck IMO, and in case something goes horribly wrong, the loss isn't that huge, money-wise.

Painting a guitar body is totally new for me, so I have a few questions:

- Does the body have to be sanded before painting? (As almost all bodies have a lacquer already when bought)
    - What paints are the best for that? Acrylics, car paints etc. ? I'm going with brushes.
    - After painting, what type of lacquer is recommended to put over the guitar body?

Every tip is welcome at this point!

Thanks for all the advice!

2. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

About to attempt the same, I'll give you a bump cause I'm really interested in what folks gotta say about this.

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

A friend is one of the best custom motorcycle painters in the world. He has painted a few guitars and uses the same products that he would use on a bike (and of course, things that he is very familiar with). If necessary he would pore fill the body, sand to 320, prime it, sand to perfection, and shoot two part automotive finish. All the decoration is done with an air brush, pinstripe brushes and lots of experience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The clear coats would be the compatible two part product.

Captain Nutslot and RoarDog like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.