Hamms Beer

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I hand Bindi to his girlfriend, Molly, a 6 foot Amazon if ever there was one.
That comment has stuck with me since the post. I hope that is a complement and she is okay with that description. In more recent times I learned there's now "glamazon" but most women I know who are tall and short are very sensitive to labels like that, and various sorts of fit issues whether that's clothing or the attitudes people have.

The sticking with me is now 33 years with a woman who is 5' 10", athletic, and my lifelong relationship with a cousin who's 6' tall and probably stands out more than my blond wife via her red hair. I believe they represent most who don't care for the attention and clothing issues where there's not much that can be done about it. They are quick to mistake things said as compliments.

Things are certainly better now whether that's acceptance or shopping for clothing.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Falstaff...that brings me back to the days of a mis-spent youth. We'd buy the Falstaff "Tappers", basically a mini keg. It would fit on the back mini-seat of my friends' Monte Carlo coupe right between the front bucket seats. While driving you could reach around with one hand and pour a cold one. (Public Service Annoucement-Please Don't Drink and Drive!)

View attachment 971677
:)
Dad kept one in the fridge. Yes, I snuck a taste...bleeech! I didn't like beer until I was 13...

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
30 ct Hamm's at the local Total Wine and More goes for $12.99. PBR and Strohs are $17.99 and $18.99. Add $3.00 to all of these for MI deposit and 6% sales tax and maybe some other taxes as well. Is this typical elsewhere in the US?

rand z

Friend of Leo's
I think Hamms originated in Minnesota, St Paul is my home town. You could only sell 3.2% beer at that time, stronger could only be purchased in liquor stores, and was just labeled "strong". Beer joints sold 3.2, strong only available at places with Liquor licenses. Steel cans, too, you had to have a "church key" to open. At least they had the dignity to rust away on the bottom of those 10,000 lakes. Bottles were collected and refilled.

Yes.

The original Hamm's Brewery was in St.Paul, MN.

I used to go there circa 1990 when it was the Stroh's Brewery (i think) and get their water for my home brewing that I was doing at that time.

They had a spigot-haus that tapped water from their artsian well... free, and open to the public.

Also, I believe that there was a kidnapping of one of the Hamm's family that became a national incident back in the early 1900's.

I never really cared for the beer.

However, it is cheap here in PA.

imo

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
That comment has stuck with me since the post. I hope that is a complement and she is okay with that description. In more recent times I learned there's now "glamazon" but most women I know who are tall and short are very sensitive to labels like that, and various sorts of fit issues whether that's clothing or the attitudes people have.

The sticking with me is now 33 years with a woman who is 5' 10", athletic, and my lifelong relationship with a cousin who's 6' tall and probably stands out more than my blond wife via her red hair. I believe they represent most who don't care for the attention and clothing issues where there's not much that can be done about it. They are quick to mistake things said as compliments.

Things are certainly better now whether that's acceptance or shopping for clothing.
Molly puts on her boots and is 6'3".
My son is 6'3" barefoot.
As a couple, she with blue eyes and honey blonde hair and he with blue eyes a red beard, and 2 feet of chestnut brown hair, look like an ad of super models in Vanity Fair.
At 33 and 34, they've been through plenty of relationships.
I hope this one stays forever.
When she dresses up and puts on a bit of make up, she turns heads

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Ugh, I drank plenty of Old Millwater in my youth but it was just a means to an end. Some things are better left in the past.

I have fond memories of getting hammered on the likes of Hudepohl, Wiedeman's, Mickey's and Olde English too, but if I'm gonna drink a beer today it'll be something worth drinking. I'm ok paying $10 for a 6-pack instead of a case now, since I'll be drinking 1/4 as many it works out.
This times 100. It's definitely quality over quantity for me these days. And has been for quite some time.
I'm not such a beer snob that I'll turn down one of the mass produced American lagers/pilsners if that's what the host has, but I'm not going to go out and spend my money on it.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Molly puts on her boots and is 6'3".
My son is 6'3" barefoot.
As a couple, she with blue eyes and honey blonde hair and he with blue eyes a red beard, and 2 feet of chestnut brown hair, look like an ad of super models in Vanity Fair.
At 33 and 34, they've been through plenty of relationships.
I hope this one stays forever.
When she dresses up and puts on a bit of make up, she turns heads
That sounds positive and I'm hoping same forever with my wife.

At 33 she's probably enough younger to not have had some of what my wife faced. I thought it was funny the way the girl who beat the boys at sports and math became a shapely woman, and in essence messed with them some more.

To some extent my wife's issue is the stares or turning heads as an adult are not same as say 4th grade. She got what a lot of people want but wants no extra attention for it and it's complicated by the teases from childhood.

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
That sounds positive and I'm hoping same forever with my wife.

At 33 she's probably enough younger to not have had some of what my wife faced. I thought it was funny the way the girl who beat the boys at sports and math became a shapely woman, and in essence messed with them some more.

To some extent my wife's issue is the stares or turning heads as an adult are not same as say 4th grade. She got what a lot of people want but wants no extra attention for it and it's complicated by the teases from childhood.

My 43 year old daughter has been gorgeous since she was a baby. Stunning in jr high and high school, many other girls hated her while all the boys wanted her. Her husband died about 15 years ago from a pulmonary embolism when he was 28.
She has dated plenty since then.
She falls in and out of love. I suspect that having her husband die in her arms will never leave her thoughts.

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
It's always interesting to see what the absolute cheapest beer is.
Buckhorn was $0.95 a six pack in the 70s.
Terrible metallic taste.
Headache in a can.
buckhorn_beer_57685_2.jpg_H900.jpg

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
My 43 year old daughter has been gorgeous since she was a baby. Stunning in jr high and high school, many other girls hated her while all the boys wanted her. Her husband died about 15 years ago from a pulmonary embolism when he was 28.
She has dated plenty since then.
She falls in and out of love. I suspect that having her husband die in her arms will never leave her thoughts.
I am sorry to hear that but it also reads like she might be doing well. It might be with many women where your daughter also feels these things I've seen repeated. One is a rare great dynamic hard to be repeated and I swear some of the smartest women I know often feel one marriage is enough.

I still run into two who decades later are still in a combo of pissed off or don't understand why my wife chose me which is kind of funny. I consider the good looks just a benefit because I found a whole lot more attractive with my wife and something I think of as a best friend and business partner aspect and respect.

In addition to being grateful for just the luck of cute kids who are functioning at a high level, healthy and attractive by most standards I feel very fortunate with how modest and plain decent they are.

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It's always interesting to see what the absolute cheapest beer is.
Look but don't taste

Also what to make of the bulk liquor at big box food markets. I was at Sam's Club on Sunday and saw a couple loading up with gigantic bottles of booze. I'm talking what must have been 2 liters per bottle, and multiples of Vodka, bourbon and mixers. Maybe they only stock up once a decade but it was scary.

Edit: it looks like Member's Mark brands are still only 1.75 L. But still, a lot of ethanol.

Last edited:

ddewerd

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Growing up in Minnesota, I've certainly had my fair share of Hamm's.

Plus another local MN beer called Schmidt (not to be confused with Schlitz)

1649781262136.png

In college (late 70's), the generic food craze had just started, before store brands caught on. You had a white can with black lettering, no frills. We used to get generic beer - yes, in a white can with black letters that just said "BEER". I think it was made by Falstaff. But it was super cheap, but jeez, drinking beer that's not even good enough to be labeled Falstaff!?!?!

1649780876372.png

One of my roommates' uncles was affiliated with Walter's Brewery in Wisconsin, and we had cases of this stuff for free. How can you go wrong with free beer and a slogan of "Beer that is beer"?

1649781009131.png

Ah the good ol' days...

Cheers,
Doug

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
Hamm's is still my uncle's favorite beer. I have great memories of sitting in his boat salmon fishing the spring I got home from the USCG (I got stationed in the Caribbean and grew up in the PacNW. I hadn't seen my family in 4 years). We spent the time waiting for a big Chinook to strike drinking Hamm's. Not may Chinook were caught, but more than a few cases of Hamm's were consumed.

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
You can't Hamms in North Carolina - I'm pretty sure it was a non-descript sorta beer - meant to get buzzed on rather than enjoyed.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Something funny in this is where I grew up was and is a brewing powerhouse that never lost some of the small brewers. When some were very brand aware when I started college some of us found the local and regional inexpensive beers were just good. They offered flavor and freshness too.

Closer to topic, those electromechanical animated Hamms signs were SO cool to me but the beer was a disappointment when we had some micros who survived and were one of the areas where micro brewers had early rebirth.

@ddewerd listing Walters is tied to that rebirth. They were bought by someone who created Hibernia but that is a whole other struggle repeating now with so much competition.

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
You can't Hamms in North Carolina - I'm pretty sure it was a non-descript sorta beer - meant to get buzzed on rather than enjoyed.
There are a lot of good small breweries in NC.