Hamms Beer

srvy

Tele-Meister
I always wanted one of those Hamm's Beer O Rama motion signs they had in bars for the man cave. They want a mint for them though.

rasr1

Tele-Meister
My Hamms salt and pepper shaker bears.

Hamms Bears.jpg

suave eddie

Friend of Leo's
Yesterday, my son gave me a call. He never does that unless there has been a crisis.
"Dad, I'm outside in my car. Let's go for a drive."
I walk out worried with my dog, Bindi, who is recovering from surgery, and climb in the back of his black, 1982, Mercedes sedan. It can operate on either diesel or vegetable oil.
I hand Bindi to his girlfriend, Molly, a 6 foot Amazon if ever there was one.
He hands me a cold can of Hamms beer, something I haven't seen in decades.
First sip was perfection. A classic American lager without any harsh overtones.
My first reaction?
It was better than PBR. Not as sweet as Budweiser. No earthy aftertaste of Coors.
For the 93 degree weather here on Bakersfield, sitting in the backseat with real C and W music in the cassette player, I couldn't have had a better
Cruise through the neighborhood with my son.
I realize you weren't driving but it is still illegal in California to have an "open container" in the car. I hope he wasn't drinking also.
At least there wasn't a crisis as you originally assumed.

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
I realize you weren't driving but it is still illegal in California to have an "open container" in the car. I hope he wasn't drinking also.
At least there wasn't a crisis as you originally assumed.
He wasn't. I kept an eagle eye for police. In Downtown Bakersfield, I see a police cruiser primarily at shift changes.

Barbeque John

Tele-Meister
I think Hamms originated in Minnesota, St Paul is my home town. You could only sell 3.2% beer at that time, stronger could only be purchased in liquor stores, and was just labeled "strong". Beer joints sold 3.2, strong only available at places with Liquor licenses. Steel cans, too, you had to have a "church key" to open. At least they had the dignity to rust away on the bottom of those 10,000 lakes. Bottles were collected and refilled.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Yesterday, my son gave me a call. He never does that unless there has been a crisis.
"Dad, I'm outside in my car. Let's go for a drive."
I walk out worried with my dog, Bindi, who is recovering from surgery, and climb in the back of his black, 1982, Mercedes sedan. It can operate on either diesel or vegetable oil.
I hand Bindi to his girlfriend, Molly, a 6 foot Amazon if ever there was one.
He hands me a cold can of Hamms beer, something I haven't seen in decades.
First sip was perfection. A classic American lager without any harsh overtones.
My first reaction?
It was better than PBR. Not as sweet as Budweiser. No earthy aftertaste of Coors.
For the 93 degree weather here on Bakersfield, sitting in the backseat with real C and W music in the cassette player, I couldn't have had a better
Cruise through the neighborhood with my son.
Hamms will show up at some of the funster/endurance/adventure sporting stuff my posse does.

If Amazon means a tall well proportioned, strong sporty woman I approve. The one I met 33 years ago is still a beautiful athlete in addition to beautiful mom of 3.

I need to follow a low alcohol and low fat diet so wouldn't say not to a Hamms handed to me but I tend to get some fantastic brews made in my own county.

Jerry J

Friend of Leo's
While I like your memories of the old Hamm Beer, the trouble with all these regional brands, and in fact, even large national brands, are owned by a handful of multinational corporations and could be brewed ANYWHERE they have a brewery. I am glad you enjoyed it. For me, there are too many microbreweries where I know their products are fresh and made locally, and normally with quality ingredients.

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
Had a black lab

While I like your memories of the old Hamm Beer, the trouble with all these regional brands, and in fact, even large national brands, are owned by a handful of multinational corporations and could be brewed ANYWHERE they have a brewery. I am glad you enjoyed it. For me, there are too many microbreweries where I know their products are fresh and made locally, and normally with quality ingredients.
It was just one beer. Bakersfield has 5 breweries.

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
... I wonder if Falstaff is.

I remember when PeeWee Reese and Dizzy Dean did the MLB game of the week. Falstaff was a sponsor. I never remember drinking one, but I do remember Hamms, and I remember they tasted pretty good... Of course that was long before I became a beer snob. Haven't had one since.

Dave Hicks

Friend of Leo's
Back in my ealy twenties, circa 1978, OM was under $2 for a six pack.
Me and my fellow millionaires drank it like it was good.
It wasn’t, but, at least for me
My “secret” was getting it as cold as possible.
Frozen mugs, or putting it in the freezer, about 15 minutes helped.
The purpose was to make it so cold, you couldn’t really taste it.
Old Wizwaukee - better than Iron City!

Gnometowner

Tele-Meister
Charlie Shaw?
I cant remember Charlies last name, his mom luved in Salinas, he had a brother named Richard, they had a house in LaSelva beach and land in the redwoods off Summit road near Chateau Liberte. Charlie was a wirey little hippie with long black hair. His brother ran a plating shop in Scotts Valley. I would love to talk with him again, if you know him tell him "Homeboy Rusty" said howdy. Not many people drive a Hamms beer truck. I remember he had like a 1950 pea green Chevy panel truck we used to park in front of Catalyst and get drunk in the back of it listening to the band in Catalyst bar. 1972-1975 time frame