Hammond chassis for 5e3 cabinet

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by rainywish, Aug 8, 2020.

1. rainywish

rainywish TDPRI Member

Hi,

Which Hammond chassis fits best in a standard 5e3 combo cabinet? It seems there are no Hammond chassis which have the exact same dimensions, so I wonder if it is a good idea at all?

Best match I could find is the 1444-18:

standard 5e3 chassis: 14.5 x 4.145 x 2.65
    Hammond 1444-18: 13.50 x 5.00 x 2.00

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The differences in the length and the depth are of importance, ime. The length may very well not adapt to a cab built for a 5E3 chassis. If you are building your own cab, it may not matter....except for having the space for the circuit and components. As for the depth, that may or may not give enough room. Even if it does, it will cramp things up even more than a tweed 5E3 chassis is already
    cramped.
    Then, one has the holes to place in the chassis. . For my money, I would buy a 5E3 chassis. It will have the chromed surface as a 5E3 should in addition to saving time and work. Ymmv.

schmee, muscmp and King Fan like this.
  3. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

^^^ this. I wouldn’t cut down any dimension. The 5e3 is jammed in already, and depth is especially critical given the way a tweed chassis opens to the rear and has tubes and controls on the “sides.”

4. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

5. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Now that hammond is make guitar amp transformers, you'd think they would make chassis to fit them!

Hammond, are you listening?

screefer likes this.
  6. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

they've been making transformers for quite a while. i don't see that they just started with guitar amp transformers but maybe i'm wrong.

also, i'd do with a proper 5e3 chassis also as mentioned above.

play music.

Wally likes this.
  7. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

Wait, OP, you're in Europe. Why not this? €16.38

Attached Files:

8. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Ive used the 1444-18. Its 13.5x5x2
    In that type amp before. Only concern is the transformers weight pulling on the chassis.

9. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

They have been making generic transformers for years and have been making them for years with 115VAC primaries.

It is only recently that they have started making "exact" replacements for guitar amplifiers. Before it was just a matter of finding one that had the right specs. These all have proper 120VAC secondaries, also.

10. rainywish

rainywish TDPRI Member

Thank you all for the advice. I agree an undrilled 5e3 chassis would be ideal. As I am in the EU, zachmdhunter's chassis becomes costly with shipping + import taxes.

The tube-town chassis is also a good option. Unfortunately, it already has the PT cutout and it does not match the size of PT I am planning to use. The cutout would be too large, so I would need to cover it with a piece of aluminum and attach my PT to that piece then.

11. King Fan

So you're thinking of the TT chassis with all the holes and chrome and lettering already in place? Less than 50€? Good idea.

upload_2020-8-9_8-35-45.png

Even before dimensions, chrome, and labels, unless you have a metal shop, drilling and punching all the right holes for a 5e3 is a real project.

I've done a couple builds where (in hindsight) a PT adapter plate would have been a ton easier than using the wrong chassis and trying to make it work.

What PT are you using? I see TubeTown does say this:

"The Hammond power transformer 290AEX / 291AEX does not fit onto this chassis. Please use 290BEX / 291BEX instead. The plate voltage of the 290BEX is 10V higher and it has a bias tap too, but that is no problem."

Wally likes this.
  12. rainywish

rainywish TDPRI Member

@King Fan I am planning a Bassman micro from robrob. I have a 5e3 which I rarely use so re-purposing that cab for this amp is what I had in mind.

The PT I am using is a 370AX. As far as I can see, some kind of adapter plate will be necessary. I'm fine with drilling and punching other holes as long as its an aluminum chassis :)

13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There are cheap 5E3 chassis all ready to go most of the time. $39-59. Why start from scratch?

14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Just use a "stand up" PT.

15. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

OK so I'm posting after a nice couple of India Pale Ales on a hot London evening and maths might be severaly wrong but..,
    Tube town 290BEXT PT bolt centers = 2 x 2.25 inches
    Your PT 370AX bolt centres = 2 x 1.68 inches

Can't you swivel your transformer around and place it sideways? Your PT is half the weight of the 290BEX so the chassis would be plenty strong enough, all you need is two new holes. (An adapter plate would be pretty easy too)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  16. King Fan

Ah, wish I'd understood that earlier. Ignore what I said throughout...

17. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

Agree with suggestions for standard 5e3 chassis if you are doing the combo. It’s tight for sure, but plenty of examples showing how to get things to fit. You also get to skip all the “fun” of making holes, cutouts and labels.

I’ve used Hammond chassis for a couple of lunchbox designs (chassis plus Hammond cage and handle). Similar to Lil Dawg amps design. I built a Blues Junior and (Hoffman) Revibe. Both builds (including chassis work) are documented here on TDPRI you probably can find them. I give them a B+ (no pun intended) for what they do, mostly because of my issues which how the cage attaches to the chassis. (See my threads for more details).

Figuring out holes and cutouts is a bit of a challenge (for me it’s a combination of drill press, step bits, GreenLee punches and dremel tool). Of course the layout and placement is a whole ‘nother issue. As is making control labels (I used dry transfer labels, one letter at a time). Of course a lot of learning time and tool expense goes into this process.

Basically what I’m saying is if there is a chassis available for your build. Go that way—it’s worth it. Unless you are super-GungHo DIY and naive like me.

FE912E41-0342-4FD8-AC81-6E16152F2A55.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.