1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hammond 1750E for 5E3?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by NTC, Dec 25, 2020.

1. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

I was buying a new PT for my 5F11-ish thing and decided to get an 8K ot for my 5E3. I bought the 1750E based on the info on the Hammond website. However, I overlooked the dimensions. The 1750E has 2 7/8 inch spaced mounting holes whike the OT I have - as well as the Mojotone Tweed Deluxe OT - have 3 1/8 inch hole spacing. The DR OT looks much bigger than the Hammond, and the pictures on Robrob's 5E3 site look as thought the OT is bigger. What are tge correct dimensions for a 5E3 OT? Has anyone used the 1750E for a 5E3?

2. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

I have Hammond 1760E in my 5E3 chassis which is same size but has also 4 an 16 ohm outputs. I mounted it higher and turned it horizontal so there came more room for loudspeaker.

Isn’t it easier for you to install when it is smaller?

3. Muzzy

Muzzy TDPRI Member

I'm putting one of those in today. The holes don't line up so, I'm going to drill another hole in the chassis. It's not a big deal although it would have been nice if it fit correctly. The correct dimension is 3 1/8.

4. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

I am interested in your thoughts on how your amps sound with the Hammond.

5. Muzzy

Muzzy TDPRI Member

This is my first Hammond OT and I'm installing it as we speak so, I'll report back after I test it. I hope it's as good as the Mojotone but, it was $10 cheaper so, I thought I'd try it. I don't like pinching pennies but, I'm retired now and money is a lot tighter.

6. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Without digging deep here, my impression is it's the DR OT that's 'too big' **compared to vintage**, not the Hammond that's too small. IIRC, a DR OT is a common 'upgrade' in a 5E3, but isn't truly vintage. 8K:8ohms and 15W is.

As far as experience, I haven't used a 1750E, but have used (twice) the equivalent ClassicTone 40-18022, and it's great. The 8K winding (is the 1750E actually 8.5? no big deal) is said to be the perfect recipe for this amp. To be fair, the DR OT, being bigger, might saturate less and give you more power, volume, and definition especially in the bass. Whether that's a good thing or not kinda depends on which speaker you run and how you like your 5E3 tone. Full disclosure: I do run several minor mods to tame 5E3 bass flub and rasp....

7. Muzzy

Muzzy TDPRI Member

I'm changing mine out because it has the Deluxe reverb OT in it. The amp is a lot tamer and polite with the DR transformer in it and doesn't really sound or react like a 5e3.

8. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

I actually LIKE the DR OT in the amp, but what do I know (as shown elsewhere)? Simply LOOKING at the pictures of the real 5E3, the transformer extends across the entire chassis. This Hammond won't. That is why I think it is smaller, but one needs actual dimensions to verify this.

9. Muzzy

Muzzy TDPRI Member

It is smaller. I just finished installing mine and needed to drill one hole for the smaller spacing of the mounting holes. It sounds good though but, I didn't crank it because of people in the house. I can't imagine whats wrong with hammond making it that way. If my amp was vintage, I wouldn't have used it. They should clean up their act. I won't buy any more from them. The Mojotone was better. Too bad Classictone closed, I really liked their transformers.

10. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

Smaller = less core iron = earlier saturation = earlier and different distortion. Probably less low end response - I like thing thick. Maybe this was meant as a Supro or Gibson OT? Anyway, I plan to send mine back.

11. Muzzy

Muzzy TDPRI Member

I believe the 1750e is a Princeton Reverb transformer from what I just read online and not a true 5e3 transformer. WTF? They'll be hearing from me on monday.

12. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Well, I just remembered that I took pictures and measurements of a vintage Triad 108 OT on a Tweed Vibrolux I worked on earlier in the year. And I have a Hammon 1750E sitting here as well. The Hammond is physically smaller than the 108 on every level, up to a 1/2" across the frame of it. So, it is not a 108 clone for sure. That being said, I've always been able to get a fairly clean or dirty amp out of it with the right design & tweaking either way.

What did you like better about Mojo's? And what PT do you have on your amp?

13. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

Well, to compound my confusion, I measured the transformer mounting hole centers and looked up the part number of the transformer in my 5E3. The old transformer is LARGER than a Deluxe Reverb OT. The part number is NSC041318 Rev. A. Looking this up online indicates that this is indeed a Deluxe Reverb replacement, but the primary impedance is 8.5k, not the usual 6.6k. So I already have the right OT impedance, apparently, and that amp does sound good, so I guess I should leave well enough alone.

To add to the oddities, my 5F11 has the same size transformer, but when I look up it's part number, TF-127, The only listing I find is an old Reverb add that says it is a Pro Reverb OT.

14. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I've used that Hammond OT in several Tweed-style amps. 5e3, 5f10, 5f11, Princeton Reverb. I've always been more than happy with the results, but I'm always in search of ways to reduce output - I know I can make it loud and clean.

Check out this article. https://guitar.com/guides/diy-workshop/diy-workshop-57-fender-vibrolux-project/

Please report back if they respond - I'd love to know the design/reason behind that OT, even though, again, I really like it.

15. Muzzy

Muzzy TDPRI Member

I brought the amp out to my shop last night and let it rip. It didn't sound nearly as good as it did with the DR OT. The amp sounded smaller and thinner and the overdrive/distortion sound was different. Kind of hard to explain but, my other 5e3 with the Mojotone OT blows the doors off of this one. I should have bought another Mojotone in the first place.

16. Muzzy

Muzzy TDPRI Member

I contacted Angela instruments yesterday about the transformer. They then contacted hammond and they won't own up to it being the wrong transformer for a 5e3 and won't take it back if it's not defective. I told Angela earlier that I installed the transformer when I first talked to them so, they emailed and said that they would take it back if it was in the same condition as I received it, which they knew it wasn't. Also, I would be responsible for shipping both ways. Just for future reference both Angela Instruments and Hammond suck to deal with and will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat. Do yourself a favor and shop elsewhere. I know I will!

17. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

Hammond did change the EI core iron composition some time ago to which saturetes less at least what is used on power transfirmers so they become smaller and obviously also cost less to make. Perhaps they use same cores on output transformers as well? Current wire insulation coating is also thinner but most effect transformers getting smaller comes when they are wound to plastic bobbin instead of paper layering. Naturally all that change transformers but it is personal is it positive or negative.

I have used mostly toroidal power transformers but I plan to begin to use also toroidal output transfirmers more because they sound different.

Perhaps you should get AnTek MP-10W80 toroidal OPT for your 5E3? It is 10W 8000 ohm and cost $39 but it has only 4 and 8 ohm outputs. 10W OPT which is good for HiFi low frequencies should be fine easily for 20W guitar amp.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  18. Muzzy

Muzzy TDPRI Member

I found a Classictone 40-18022 on ebay. That's the correct transformer for a 5e3.

2L man likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.