Hamilton v Verstappen

BackwaterJunction

Tele-Meister
I want to preface this by saying I don't like Hamilton or Verstappen.

That was total BS. The FIA just gifted Max the title, he did not win it.

This is the thing. Whoever you cheered for, the FIA have just invented a new safety car procedure. And it'll probably lead to some kind of legal battle from Mercedes.

I think Max is, on the whole, a deserving champion. He won more races than anyone else this year and had the nost laps leading races too. But the FIA shouldn't completely ignore their own rules for the sake of entertainment.

viking

Friend of Leo's
4 protests atm under consideration , I heard
FIA have to clean up the procedure.....I swear , everytime I hear Horner or Toto on the live wire to M Masi, I want to puke. Short of an official complainnt ( big-big-and even bigger $) they should be quiet , the rules are not to be discussed in public ,, or....?
Last week Red Bull were asked which kind of order the riders would restart in to make RB accept the decision , WTF ????
Today they ruled , that riders that were lapped would NOT be able to go around the pacecar , and get into possition. A recent rule change after a late Pacecar gave trouble.....Only to change that , after Horner had been on the line , and they had allready retired Perez to at least get him out of there, ughhhhh....

Last edited:

viking

Friend of Leo's
And someone could have a point that RB and Max did the best job over the seaon , ......but not the best job today , surely ????
Hamilton were miles faster today , no doubt about that .

viking

Friend of Leo's
Big changes for next years , in all areas
End of an era , fitting for the Ice man to stop now......Havent we all been a Fan of the Finn in one form or another ?
End of another Era : Latifi wont decide the world title next year , because he we wont be there , LOL...

viking

Friend of Leo's
Ok Mr . Clinging-on , you can call me a clown , but tell me , what better ways of following elite motorsport is there ?
Its not a reality show , thats for sure

blue metalflake

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Sadly this will be destined for the courts, which won’t do the sport any good at all (as if FIA hadn’t done enough harm already)

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
Sadly this will be destined for the courts, which won’t do the sport any good at all (as if FIA hadn’t done enough harm already)

If they go whining to some court, it’ll just be one more reason to despise merc. They should stick to building trucks.

jimd

Friend of Leo's
What a joke! They just threw the rule book and their normal procedures right out the window in order to make a spectacle. The argument by Masi about deciding it by racing was total crap. They raced 50+ laps and Hamilton was way ahead.

Bluesboy3

Tele-Afflicted
This is the thing. Whoever you cheered for, the FIA have just invented a new safety car procedure. And it'll probably lead to some kind of legal battle from Mercedes.

I think Max is, on the whole, a deserving champion. He won more races than anyone else this year and had the nost laps leading races too. But the FIA shouldn't completely ignore their own rules for the sake of entertainment.
My only response to this conversation (not just from you), is "are we sure Masi didn't have the authority to make the decision he made"? I will admit bias in that I was rooting for Verstappen, but don't tell me in a million years that Hamilton gave back his track position after he went off the track at the start of the race. Now, I've only been a fan for two years. But, if you listened to the F1 announcers, who seemed to be fair about the early incident, they said that Verstappen was in his right to overtake the way he did, and he stayed on the track, which they essentially explained was completely legal and that Hamilton should have been forced to relinquish track position. So I guess, if you are wheel to wheel, and indeed you are behing the overtaking car, what is the definition of relinquishing track position? The amount of time he was ahead on the prior to the incident? I agree about Wolff and Horner, but Toto seems incrementally more of a whiner than Horner.

Bluesboy3

Tele-Afflicted
An overall issue I have with sport is a sub-theme of this thread. Let's assume that it was a bad call to let the few lapped drivers pass the safety car for the one last lap. Do you think the sport would be more popular in 2022 if they allowed the race to end on a yellow flag after a questionable call letting Hamilton "retain" his title by not relinquishing track position after the early incident? I am on the downside of my relationship with sports. You guys might know I'm a Raider fan. I think it is more difficult to fix an NFL game (for example), versus a horse race, or maybe even F1. In the NFL, the referee's "judgment" calls hugely impact he outcomes of the games, and as you might guess again, I truly believe the Raiders get a lot of bad calls. They have been by far and away the most penalized NFL team. And there is no reason for that. The only reason could possibly be that there is some type of inferred bias against the Raiders. There is no way that the same team, year after year, with different coaching staffs, different players, different schemes, can always be the most penalized team year after year. I digress a bit (sorry!). Also, the behavior of pro athletes in general society is abhorrent (obviously not all). I question whether I should even be supporting these folks. I spent a ton of money last weekend in Las Vegas for the Raider game. Yes, the Raiders suck and may not have won anyway, but the officiating in the game was horrible. I realize this one is rambling, so I'll sign off this post!:lol:

PS. I personally find the coverage of F1 fascinating, compared to NFL. I love that you can listen to the team managers talking to race control. I am thankful for F1, and after all, isn't all sport really entertainment?

Last edited:

goonie

Friend of Leo's
unbelievable, you're trying to tell me racing is fixed like boxing when clearly it is real like wrestling

Mr clingon is just here to troll, but F1 is probably the most 'unfixed' motorsport on the planet. It it was fixed, they probably would have done something about Mercedes' almost total domination for the best part of a decade.