Hamer T5M

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Splitear_Leland, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Splitear_Leland

Splitear_Leland TDPRI Member

I have come across a Hamer T5M tele in a local shop. I know it is a Korean guitar, but cannot play it since the shop doesn't have any strings on it at this time. I'm wondering if this may be a steal at $150. Does anyone know much about this guitar, and if so, is it worth the $150 I can pick it up for?

2. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Banned

They are really cool guitars and average $350.00 on the used market. If you don't like it, throw it on Flea Bay and double your money at the very least. It's a pretty sure bet that you will.

3. samurai

samurai TDPRI Member

Does it look like this...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Or like this?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The one on top (Slammer Series...and owned by me :D) was made in Korea from '94-'98. Of the imports, those are the absolute best quality, both in terms of materials, and build quality. The other(s) made in China/Indonesia, I don't have any hands/ears-on experience. If it says "Slammer by Hamer", I'd pass. If it's a Slammer Series...snap it up ASAP.

If it's not, it's still a decent deal. IMO. The back of the headstock will tell you where it's made. If you can, get the serial# and report back.

4. Splitear_Leland

The guitar is a Korean made instrument, it said so on the back of the headstock. I will have to wait until I get paid later in the week before I can pick it up, but it sounds like it is a pretty decent buy. I will keep you all posted as to what happens. Thanks for the info! Here are a few pictures from the shop's website.

Splitear
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. samurai

samurai TDPRI Member

I can't speak to the overall quality of the version you came across. In fact, it's only been in recent weeks that a few pics of that model (with T5M truss rod cover) have hit the interwebs. There are even fewer, if any, reviews. Take a look over at Hamerfanclub.com. If I have time later, I'll do some more checking.

Lastly, when you say local shop, do you mean pawn or music? It it's the latter, one would think that they would string it up and let you test drive it.

6. Splitear_Leland

It is a resale/consignment shop.

7. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

Don't think you'll get hurt on this one. I sense many would take it off your hands allowing you a small profit. Is the neck playable or bowed for elk season?

8. samurai

samurai TDPRI Member

I would offer them $100. Above and beyond that, without testing it, It's not for me to say.

9. pedalphiliac

pedalphiliac TDPRI Member

I just picked one of these up last week. It is just like the one Samurai posted/owns. I got it for a song. It is a very pretty guitar and the neck is very nice. I am still trying to bond with it. Its a jump from my LP, which I sold, to this guy. We'll see how she goes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  10. e-milonguero

e-milonguero TDPRI Member

My Korean Hamer

This is very similar to mine, they must be rare because when you look for Hamer there is not much information.
    The guitar is really heavy, solid, good hardware, nice neck. When I bought it, it was very well setup. It feels very good, is very playable, and the sound is good although not very twangy, it sounds thin. The controls are good, everything works fine. Maybe it could improve by changing the pickups, I don´t know.
    If you don´t look at the headstock it might as well appear to be a vintage Fender Tele. The ashtray bridge looks a bit thicker, though.

11. e-milonguero

Correction: I meant there is not much info on this particular model. A bit more on the T-51 made USA but very little about the Korean

12. e-milonguero

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  13. thumbpick

thumbpick Tele-Afflicted

if it says slammer..runaway

14. Stringbender11

Stringbender11 Tele-Meister

You could always bring your own strings and try it out, OP. That's what I would do if I was interested in it. And if i liked it I'd ask if they would take $125 for it. If not, $150 certainly isnt bad either.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.