Halloween in the D

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by motor_city_tele, Oct 30, 2011.

1. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Birmingham back then wasn't as hoi-poloi(?) as it is today. My family owned some stores back in the day that some of you from the Royal Oak area might remember. The city of Birmingham was where a lot of the rich people congregated, but the outlying suburbs were pretty standard, middle-class people. I used to deliver that area when I was younger.

And yes, Sir Graves Ghastly along with The Ghoul (he was out of Ohio if I remember correctly), and the later Count Scary (Ohhhhh, dat's scarrrrrryyyyy....!) were Saturday day / night staples. Sir Graves was on Channel 2, if I recall correctly. Usually you had to get The Ghoul on Channel 20 or Channel 62(?).

Alice Cooper? He is a HUGE scary movie buff. His acting debut was on John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness. I just watched that last Saturday. Creepy movie.

It's a shame what Halloween is like these days where I live. I grew up in a neighborhood where there were lots of kids, and we'd be out from about 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm, and hit EVERY FRICKIN' HOUSE in the neighborhood. Then we'd go back to someone's house and trade candy.

Now? My wife got ONE group of trick-or-treaters. And that's down from last year where we had 3.

Although if Stratenstein's family is loaded, it explains why he can afford the tools to make guitars... :)

2. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Actually, they used to burn buildings.

3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

That's sick!

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No, we lived in the reglar folks part of B-ham that was B-ham in mailing address only. I think it was technically Southfield Township, not to be confused with the town of Southfield, which I recall as a rough place. About as middle-middle class as you could get. Lived just across Greenfield Rd. from Royal Oak. Downtown Birmingham was a pretty decent bike ride, but do-able. I hung with a few buddies in jr. High at Groves that did have some bux, though, unfortunately none of it rubbed off on me. I had the hots for a doctor's daughter who, let's say, matured early and well. ;) I used to like to dance with her, speaking of rubbing, but never got anywhere near playing doctor with her, and then I had to move away.:(

I can afford a few tools cuz I'm an old phart and have been buying them little by little all these years, and the Missus and I are finally empty-nesters with no more kid-related expenses. :cool: I still have friends with money, and it's still not rubbing off on me, dammit.:lol::lol:

Those are amazing pumpkin carvings!

5. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Motor city wa great place to grow up in (child of the '60s). I never had any trouble there, and I daily went to downtown for High School. I used to hitch hike to Wayne State to be able to save bus money for smokes, and amps. When I was a kid I used to bicycle ride from 8 mile road to Kensington Park and swim and ride home, all without the safety of helmet, cell phone, or even a dime for a phone call. Man, life has really changed in 50 or so years.

6. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Man, you can say that again. The Ford Rotunda, carp fishing carnival and winter hockey at Quarton Lake, fabulous zoo, Cranbrook, on and on . . .

7. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

I still say whole-heartedly "Great place to be FROM", I love being in TN, and would not go back to the Mitten unless for family business, etc. But good friends still live there, and I respect their choice. Just not for me. Cranbrook is where I started my venture into Lapidary, Jewelry, and eventually has led me to woodworking, and tangentially - life.

8. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Late comer to the thread, AWESOME pumpkins!

Used to see Alice at Mount Holly ( I lived in Grand Blanc).

Somebody said D-Town wasn't that bad in the 60s...I remember seeing the smoke from the '67 riots from our back yard. That was like 50 miles away.

Things are turning around there now, city leadership is doing a better job and they are bull dozing the vacant neighborhoods and cleaning up downtown. There is a lot going on in Detroit these days.

9. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Holic

The D is a great place to visit. Love the Sports. Downtown is coming around again. I am still Smitten with the Mitten. I also was a child of the 60’s. Loved it. The pumpkins are unreal!!

10. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Hey MCT,
    Those are cool. Thanks for sharing.
    But what did you do with the seeds?

11. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

roasted nice and slow with plenty of salt

src9000 likes this.
  12. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

Hey Vern!
    Know-What-I-Mean
    [​IMG]

rcole_sooner and uriah1 like this.
  13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Zombie thread.. (too)
    I get it
    lol

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Zombie thread - put it to bed. (pumpkins are cool)

I have no comment on all the sociological/geographical errors contained here...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.