1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

hairline crack neck joint

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ricketts, Feb 25, 2021.

1. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

And so the guitar-selling "industry" continues to work its way downward, pushing hard for every robotic, mass-manufacturing move possible and deflecting from every issue of good craftsmanship and quality. Sure, neck-joint finish cracking is more and more common. Poorer finish materials, thick finish, and less stable joints lead to cracking. While it's rarely a fatal flaw, it's totally an indicator of flex where, ideally, we don't want flex. Is it good enough, and becoming standard? Well, no, it's not good enough, but yes, crappier build quality is making it common. Check out really old strats and teles and you don't find that kind of cracking.

PeterUK likes this.
  2. Personal Gsus

Personal Gsus TDPRI Member

Yep, same on mine. But I got it used, so not worried about it. Not sure if I'd bother returning on a brand new one, but maybe(?) I just don't think it's a big deal.

teleplayr likes this.
  3. Personal Gsus

I can recommend the Fender Mustang GTX100. I have one & love it. There's also the GTX50 – same features, but less dollars.

4. Dog Bite

Dog Bite Tele-Meister

If we accept poor quality without complaint. Crap will become the new standard. Why would businesses strive for zero defects if we accept them as normal. I know nothing stays new forever but pre-cracked straight from the factory is not good enough imo.

5. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Common paint stress crack

teleplayr likes this.
  6. ricketts

ricketts TDPRI Member

Does it zero in on the clean tube sound? I tried the Mustang LT50 (half the price of the GTX) and it didn’t, but I didn’t have time to tweak it. I need to give the GTX a spin in fairness. Thanks for the help. Appreciated

Personal Gsus likes this.
  7. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

There's another factor at work other just "quality". The internet in its wisdom had decided that neck pockets should be a press fit. This, combined with the thin, unsupported edges of a tele neck pocket makes these cracks nearly inevitable. Look at older Fenders, of any age, and TRY to find one that doesn't fit one of these categories.:
    1. Has neck pocket cracks
    2. Neck pocket is not tight
    3. Finished in poly
    4. Refinished or stripped
    5. Mollycoddled and kept in controlled conditions

No amount of quality will support those thin wood bits from flexing along the grain if the neck is actively pressing against them. Some vigorous playing, some temperature changes, even the heat of stage lights, and the cracks appear.

Personal Gsus and SheldonP like this.
  8. Personal Gsus

I'm pretty sure that's the target demographic for the Limited Edition Custom Shop Heavy Relic® models.

Ironic, no?

Lol.

9. Personal Gsus

In my personal experience and to my subjective ear, I'd say it can get 96.8% of the way there 97.4% of the time.

YMMV.

10. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wood is wood. Unless your frets were poorly finished at the factory, the fret sprout is proof of shrinking wood due to dryness. Metal doesn't grow. Slab-body guitars are less susceptible to serious damage from dryness, but finish cracks and checking can certainly be caused by extreme changes in humidity and/or temperature as I mentioned. I personally don't specifically humidify my guitars, but rather I humidify my house. I try to keep it 45-55% humidity which is comfortable for both myself and my instruments. Utah is MUCH drier than where I live.

11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

there's no way hard wood will crack at 45 deg from the pocket down... across all the grain..

unless it was cracked the same way on both sides because a truck just run over it face down with a brick under the headstock end....:lol:

but then the neck would probably break and the pocket area would be fine....:D

Ash tele bodies11.jpg

12. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

jrblue and DogBite, you're way off base here. Cracks like that have been the norm over time since Fender started.

teleplayr likes this.
  13. Blister

Blister Tele-Meister

Thank you for your service to our country. Fender Champ 600 reissue Great house amp

ricketts likes this.
  14. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Do that all the time, either that or the damn thing runs out of fuel, such a bind all that messing around with those dreadful pump things on a garage forecourt full of common types.....................

15. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Seems the longer you can get away with something the more acceptable it becomes. I don’t get how, with modern CNC kit, tolerances can’t be built in to allow for expansion and contraction. Just so glad they worked it out with railway lines and metal bridges!

16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I think it's the expansion and contraction of the thick finish itself..... you guys in the US seem to have a big difference in temps through the year.... freezing cold to boiling hot..... that might be a reason..

17. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've had another look at the picture and it's not a great neck joint.

There appears to be a gap between the neck and the neck pocket and the finish around the neck pocket edge seems to have 'bubbled' (best word I can think to describe it).

I suspect there was enough movement in the neck to have caused the finish crack.

Poor manufacturing? I suspect poor assembly and set up.

18. ricketts

ricketts TDPRI Member

IMG_2387.jpg IMG_2388.jpg Post Script: I returned the BSB Tele with the hairline crack and traded it for another BSB Tele. This time the guitar had no cracks, but when I took it home, I could not get it to play in tune. I discover a huge neck warp! My bad for not thoroughly inspecting it before taking it home. I returned it for a refund (nice policy at Guitar Center) and started my quest again. I found a builder in SLC, Dave Phillips who sold me the pictured Tele. Although not a Fender, Dave is a certified Fender Tech and did a nice job building & setting it up. I'm not sure about the pick ups yet (Tonemaster) and may exchange them, but the quality was obvious the minute I picked it up. It is 7 lbs, Alder, Brass saddles, Locking Tuners, an Ebony Fret board with a burned maple neck, bone nut. For $445 what's not to like? Hope to provide feedback after a couple weeks of use.
    Appreciate all the posts - "Personal Gsus, I purchased a used GTX 50 (like new) - still have to buy a foot switch. Thanks for the recommend. BTW, Dave's guitars are on Reverb as Flow Guitars if anyone is interested.

Boreas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.