1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

hairline crack neck joint

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ricketts, Feb 25, 2021.

1. ricketts

ricketts TDPRI Member

Purchased this BSB Player Tele last week. Just noticed a hairline fracture in the neck joint (picture) Finish covers it. Should I take back/exchange? IMG_2370.jpg

LPTyler likes this.
  2. Dog Bite

Dog Bite Tele-Meister

I would.

3. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

It happens to a lot of Strats and Teles - usually it’s a finish crack where the neck is bolted on too tight, or the tolerances are too small. I have 3 or 4 guitars with this.

Long term it can cause chipping in this area, but it’s an aesthetic issue only.

On a new brand new guitar, I’d ask to exchange, but it depends on if you really like playing it or not... you may get another the same.

Only you can tell, but for me, barring any super attachment, I’d swap.

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’d probably exchange unless there’s something special about that one, or depends how much it bothers you

It’s probably okay if you can’t feel the crack

It’s not an excuse but it’s a very common issue (not on new guitars of course)

5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

If you can get the same model and colour I'd return it.

6. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

On used gear I can live with minor blemishes. New stuff has to be like new.

Dog Bite likes this.
  7. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

It looks like a finish crack, and you can see a bit of finish build up right on the edge of the heal.
    As others said, it's only a cosmetic issue. I'm not familiar with the Player serie and its quality level of fit and finish, but if you can get a better example I would ask for an exchange.

8. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My Strat has a similar crack but after 22-years it's probably too late to return it.

It obviously bugs you more than you love the guitar so do what your heart and/or head tells ya.

They'll reduce the guitar, re-hang it and someone will get a great guitar for less money.

Good luck and let us know what you decided. :)

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Brand new, then take it and exchange it, if it's used, then I would live with it, as most Fender guitars seem to develop this problem. I have a Jazzmaster with a similar issue, but mine occurred over time, I just backed up the neck plate screws a bit.

10. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Happens far more often than not with lacquer finishes.

11. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

It'll crack sooner or later.

teleplayr and Jakedog like this.
  12. ricketts

ricketts TDPRI Member

First, thank you all for your replies. I did return the Tele and exchanged it for a new one. The tech told me (like some of your comments) it will likely crack at some point as most do. However, I did manage to get a better set up, and no fret sprout like the first one had. All in all a win! Now for the challenge of finding the right amp (home only, mainly clean) SUGGESTIONS??
    - This is a nostalgic experience as I started out on a Tele in High School (1963) - purchased a 52', beat up Tele from Ernie Ball himself (He had a guitar shop on Ventura Blvd in the San Fernando Valley), and a Fender Tweed Pro amp. Man, could that guitar sing! Sold them both for $175 in 1966 when I joined the Air Force (Huge mistake). Mainly played acoustic until this year. Fingers have arthritis, so difficult to fret. Hence, bought the Tele (chose the Player due to the amazing neck). Actually liked the sound of the Squier CV 50's more, but couldn't bond with the neck. Aging isn't for sissy's, but beats the alternative! Thanks again for your comments

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Nevermind.

14. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

How do ya know that didn't happen after ya got it, that it wasn't due to something happening in the environment in which is has been used the past week?

that's just a thought.

Now the reason those cracks are as common as cockroaches in a Campground is, wood expands and contracts with the constantly changing temperatures and humidity.. there's nothing reasonable that permits continued use of the guitar that can prevent that..

as the body expands the neck pocket gets smaller... but at the same time, as the neck is expanding the heel is getting larger... something's gotta give....

While not every guitar will suffer the cracks, that's due to the random characteristics of wood.. not all Alder expands and contracts to the same degree. The same is true for Swamp Ash or any other type wood you care to name...

that, compounded by the desire for you guys to have nice tight neck pockets...and... you see the results..

I often get the question what about set necks , etc.. well examine enough of them and you will see the lacquer covering the glue joints will have subtle cracks in it.. It's due to the same reasons.

Expansion and contraction are a part of the reality of dealing with guitars.. ya just have to live with it.

Taking it back is much like dumping a Ferrari because after a year, the tires are worn out.

r

SheldonP, MickM, DADGAD and 1 other person like this.
  15. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    I agree with the above this is very likely a cosmetic issue and that crack is going to happen right where it did with any sudden swing in temp or humidity or any of the reasons already stated. I'd say it's just part of buying a guitar in the winter time in the USA... If it were me however, I would carefully unbolt the neck and take a look at the other side of that crack and see if the wood is cracked as well. If so then it likely took a shock from a blunt force and I would exchange it, that would be the determining factor for me.

16. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Glad the OP got it sorted out!

Another thing to consider in a case like this is cash off the sales price - especially if you like the particular instrument.

Keep in mind, if your house is not properly humidified, cracks and fret sprout will likely develop on the one you just brought home. If the retailer is at 50-60% humidity and your house is 30%, expect issues. Wood will wander.

17. Chuck berry

Chuck berry TDPRI Member

Difinitely would its new l presume. If you keep it with the temperature changing that hairline crack could become in the futur a really bad thing and you'll have to replace the neck. Unless if its just the paint but not the wood. But l wouldn't touch it l'd bring it back.

18. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Delete

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  19. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have the same issue with a HH Players Tele I bought in December. The specific color I bought (Surf Green) was discounted 20% so I got a pretty good deal. I have had some other Fenders with these finish cracks and I have determined if you really like the guitar just go with it. You have a guitar for a few years it will blend in with the normal wear and tear.

ricketts likes this.
  20. ricketts

ricketts TDPRI Member

I live in Utah, dry climate - have a nice Martin acoustic I keep humidified. I asked the dealer if I should humidify the Tele and he said "no need to". Makes me wonder after your comment. Anyone humidify a Tele? Thanks

Boreas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.