1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hahn 228 Tele Style, Please Talk Me Out Of This

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by resonator, Mar 28, 2009.

1. resonator

resonator Tele-Meister

Tried a 52 Vintage Hot Rod Tele at GC today. I found it to be just ok at best. I also played a couple 52RI and the neck profile/radius killed it for me.

I talked to a friend who has played the Valley Arts Brent Mason Signature. He said I'd hate the neck because it's to fat (we like the same necks on guitars).

So my friend tells me to check out Hahn 228 Tele Style Guitars. He said it's the best Tele Style he has played. He had the opportunity to try one at NAMM last year. So I watch the videos, listen to MP3's and read the reviews. All sounds great. That is until I see the $2800 price tag.

Oh man, do I really want to do this?

2. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Figure your bills....if you can afford it now, do it or you never will...if you cant afford it, well hey we cant have everything...good luck ...

3. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Get it...!....So we can hear your first hand account of the baby!

4. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

I'm sure the Hahn is a wonderful guitar after everything I've read here but it should be possible to do a partscaster that will give you what you are looking for.

5. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

If you have about 10 minutes...

I want the pink one.

6. resonator

resonator Tele-Meister

I've thought about that. But I've also read threads where others have been disappointed after spending a lot of time and buying the best of everything and not ending up with what they thought it would be.

7. RockinCarl

RockinCarl Tele-Afflicted

Get one. I own 9 Tele's including my Hahn, and the Hahn is the only one I play. Chihoe is a really nice guy, and easy to work with.

8. Jazzmasterfan

Jazzmasterfan Tele-Meister

If you can afford it and really want it...got and get it...you might not have another chance...seize the day!

9. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Chihoe Hahn seems like a really nice guy and I'm sure he makes excellent guitars. RockinCarl should know.......... but $2800 is a lot of money. You can buy a really nice guitar(s) for less.

If your playing skill can justify that sort of purchase then go for it. My playing skill definitely couldn't.

10. resonator

resonator Tele-Meister

Speaking about a lot of money ($2800), anyone have any idea what the resale value is on the Hahn guitars? I don't mind spending the money for a new guitar as long as it retains a reasonable resale value.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Banish any thinking about resale value. That could change at any time - we don't even know which of us will be here in 7-8 years. Buy the guitar if you're entitled. Don't hold back.

12. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

I don't know but it might be worth it to look for a used Hahn...

I used to be really into Boutique guitars. Owned a Lentz, a Suhr, an Anderson, and a bunch of Boutique basses over the years (including a Sadowsky), and sold them all... $2800 is a heckuva lotta dough for a bolt-on guitar.... what I came to realize, is that compared to a great Fender, what the Boutique guitars had (mostly) over them is

a) great pickups
    b) an impeccable, truely incredible set-up

Now, granted, there were other subtle differences, but what I did was search far and wide for a great sounding Fender American made Telecaster and had a real pro tech put a spotless set-up into it... I can always change pickups on any whim, and I've got a great guitar

I've checked out the Hahn video on Youtube, and what I'm hearing is the sound of Lollar pickups played by very talented guitarists into a great amp...

That said, I'm sure they are great guitars and very fun to play. If you want a Hahn and can afford it, get a Hahn

Just my 2 cents

13. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

+1 to what Boris sez...Resale value has never been a criteria for me buying anything that I wanted, and have never understood why it would, especially on a personal item like a Guitar...but I'm Old, what the Hell do I know ?.....;)

14. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

I'd love a Hahn, and a Kirn, and a.....but I agree. If you take a nicely made Fender (say a '52RI or a MIJ Tele) and get a really nice set-up from someone who knows what they're doing, and swap out the pickups for what thrills you, you've got a tremendous guitar. So much of the magic is in the set-up, pickups, and, of course, the amp.

15. Twin Reiver

Twin Reiver Tele-Holic

Believe me, I am no guitar snob. I love partscasters and MIM Classics. I've also played a 51, a 54 and a 62 Tele, and thought they were good, but I've always thought guitars are just tools. I also think guitars are like haircuts--the more you spend on one the bigger a jerk you are LOL.

That said, I have never played anything like the Hahns I played at NAMM last year. Unreal. What Chihoe does is just beyond anything out there. They are so superior to Fender Custom Shop. I can't afford one, but I wish I could. They are the only custom built guitars I have played that I didn't think were overpriced and overhyped.

Chihoe Hahn is in a class by himself.

16. resonator

resonator Tele-Meister

Well, your 2 cents makes a lot of sense. I've always believed the electronics and setup are 80% of a great guitar. Beyond that, the neck is really important. I'm not sure I buy the thin nitro coat being that big of a deal. The extremely tight neck joint makes more of a difference IMHO.

As far as looking for a used Hahn, I can't remember seeing one in the past. That would be a good way to go. I'd love to give a Hahn 228 a spin around the block.

17. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Hey, me too! Another great boutique Telecaster is a Warren. I got to play a buddy's Warren once. Great guitar...

Keep in mind, the greatness of the Boutique stuff might be over my head, I'm just an old school Blues player... the technically difficult stuff that might be easier to pull off on a Boutique guitar is beyond me anyways!

18. Ramblin Ray

Ramblin Ray Tele-Afflicted

FWIW I saw a couple at 30th Street Guitars in NYC last year for around $1600.00.

19. bluetele54

bluetele54 Friend of Leo's

...Chihoe has a clue...

...but the one that got me at NAMM was the mahogany body Tele-style...

...I've got several templates that to my mind and heart (and I'm not alone on this assessment)that are,and will always be,the best Tele's I'll ever play,but Chihoe DOES have a relationship with wood that puts him close to the forefront regarding the construction of "vintage" feel Tele's,and that's no lie...

...Chihoe is very responsive to the player,and he's one artisan that deserves to be supported...his work is that good(and you can tell him I said so)...Stevie Gurr aka bluetele54...

20. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

f you can afford it, you are unlikely to regret buying one. I love mine and play it more than any other tele now!

Edited to add; RockinCarl knows my 228 too, as it was the one that he demo'd at NAMM, the one in the Premier Guitar video! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.