Hagstrom Viking 12-string

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Slim60, Jun 30, 2020 at 4:47 AM.

1. Slim60

Slim60 TDPRI Member

I was just out there, innocently looking at guitars in the shop, when I found this instrument.

It appears to be a Hagstrom Viking 12 string and I'm guessing the vintage is approximately 1967.

One modification that I can vouch for is the pick guard has been removed. Other than that the hardware looks like it's original.

It wasn't until I brought it home that I noticed there is a small but very annoying problem: the saddle for the G strings has been tampered with - each saddle has slots (or notches) to keep the strings equally spaced from one another, and the slot for the octave string has been gouged out for some reason. As a result that one string is trouble: it always sounds sour.

I'll probably have to contact Hagstrom and find out if they can find a replacement part.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

*Apologies for my inability to get sharp pics of the guitar - the shiny bits seem to confuse the focus on my camera.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

Slim60 likes this.
  3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats on the guitar!

Can’t tell from the photos, but just a question: is it possible that the saddle for the G course got reversed somehow? Looks like the larger groove is on the wrong side and if it were possible to flip around, maybe fix the problem?

The other approach is to just flip the string order.

or not - might just be an optical delusion on my part.

Slim60 likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Sometime around '68 or '69, a bassist I knew had a Hagstrom eight string bass. Not as bad as what Tom Petersson plays, but very full sounding. I seem to remember it as being a solid-body, though.

Slim60 likes this.
  5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Intonating a 12 string can be a real problem if you are sensitive to that kind of thing. Most 12 string players don't spend enough time at the really high frets for it to matter and some even feel that the slight out of tune is part of the 12 string experience. Nice and interesting guitar.

Slim60 likes this.
  6. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

sWEET! Should be a great addition. Put a drop of epoxy in the octave G slot, let it dry, and then very gently cut a new, smaller slot. Might save you having to replace it.

Slim60 likes this.
  7. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Nice guitar. I've always wanted a Viking 12 string. I'd even settle for a 6 string.

Slim60 likes this.
  8. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Had one for a while back around 73 or 74. Someone had painted it shocking pink, so I HAD to refinish it. Sanded all the paint off and shot rattle can clear, came out pretty good, strung it 4 string and played it on certain songs our trio did. Trio broke up, so I eventually sold it. Not a P or J bass, but not bad!

Slim60 and nojazzhere like this.
  9. Slim60

Slim60 TDPRI Member

That was my first thought. But I found the saddles are meant to be oriented in a particular way (there is a sort of peak on each one, which is closer to the tailpiece than to the neck on all of them).

Even if it could be reversed, the slot the bass G string passes through is as wide as it should be, while the slot for the octave should be very narrow but appears to have been made even bigger than the slot for the bass string.

Thank you all the same!

teletimetx likes this.
  10. Slim60

Slim60 TDPRI Member

That might be worth a try!

Thank you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.