1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Had to Let Band Member Go

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Ward, Dec 10, 2010.

1. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Paul McCartney has a story about working on an early Wings album, and that he asked Henry McCullough to play a written solo that Paul had worked out for one of his tunes. McCullough said "Man, we're post-Hendrix now, we just sort of waaaaiiiillllll...." And Paul said "Yeah, but this is a good solo..."

You may note a shortage of HM credits on later Wings albums.

2. Ward

Ward Tele-Holic

So as an update...

I posted an add in craigslist and got response by a guy who converted to Pedal Steel from guitar 2 years ago. We had our first rehearsal and it went great. He actually listens to the recording, and works out parts. What a concept!

A big difference was when we played Cherokee Maiden for the first time at rehearsal. There's a signature steel part. In the past, our old steel player wouldn't have learned it. So our fiddle player went ahead and learned the steel part, like usual. Lo and behold, our new PSG player came right in an played the part. The rest of us were almost shocked.

The new guy isn't yet as technically proficient, but I can tell that will come soon. The main thing is that he'd learning the songs, and working at it.

I think it will take a couple of months to get him fully up to speed but it's nice knowing we're going to have someone who puts in the time and won't hold us back.

Ward

3. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

I've been kicked out of a number of bands and I can totally agree that they always sounded great when I went to hear them. They really raised their game after I left--they were just jealous of my talent, obviously.

;>)

4. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Sounds promising. Sometimes one step back can lead to a big leap forward.

5. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Yesterday, on Jan 1, I said "the hell with it" and I called my drummer friend for the last 15 years and told him he was no longer in the band. It kinda sucks having friends in a band.. when that band turns into a serious business. After that friendship has to take a back seat to what is best for the band. And after all the late arrivals and drunken situations, it was WAY past time to let him go.

Still, it isn't easy. He is coming over in a few minutes to pack up all his drums and stuff. I may never see him again. So it goes... :rolleyes:

6. claudel

claudel Tele-Afflicted

This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, but when I first moved to Santa Cruz in 1970, Asleep at the Wheel
    was one of the first local bands I got to experience, along with Moby Grape, at the old Catalyst under the St. George Hotel. :cool:

I was bummed when they moved to Austin.

FWIW, if you can't find a decent pedal steel player, buy one of the guitards a bender...

7. Ward

Ward Tele-Holic

Sounds like a New Year's Resolution. How it end up going?

8. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly! I couldn't take another year like 2010. I musta had at least 800 conversations about "Doug's drinking" last year, and I resolved to not have another one this year. He is gone.

He came by and was cordial about it when packing up his drums and stuff from our practice space. But I wussed out and I didn't tell him straight up - you're being fired because of your drinking and you need serious help. He knows tho... but still I shoulda said something.

Oh well, here is to 2011. Time to find a new drummer that is quiet, keeps good time, plays with a light touch, and who doesn't get drunk every day. Thats the plan anyway...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.