1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Had to kill an animal this morning

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Norton72, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

I've never been much of a hunter, have done a little dove hunting as a social function, have had to kill a hog a time or two and the occasional domestic not-quite-dead roadkill. I have no problem with hunting, my entire family and extended family are avid hunters. I just don't get anything out of it, and like to get my meat at the butcher shop. We've had a skunk living under our house for quite sometime. At first I thought it was an armadillo, or maybe the stray cat that hangs out around our house all the time. it may have been one or both at some point, but by the occasional smell I easily determined that at the last, it was a skunk. He hasn't been much of a problem until recently the smell has been more frequent. Also, this weekend I was working on my truck in the barn and he came up there in the middle of the day, noonish. Whenever I see a nocturnal animal out in the daytime I immediately suspect rabies. But he was peaceful, came in, shook the rain off himself and proceeded to shuffle around behind my shelves -- I figured he was making a place to sleep. I continued working and we didn't bother each other.

Yesterday when I got home from work the house smelled strongly of skunk. I got a small box of mothballs and figured I would dump them where he had dug out under the house. (Our house is pier-and-beam and we have corrugated metal underpinning that extends below the finish grade.) There are several dug out holes, but most were filled with water from the recent rains. I found two newish looking holes the had no standing water in them and filled both with mothballs and kind of kicked them up under the house.

This morning when I got up, still dark, and after awhile I could hear him digging at the front of the house. It's really loud because of the metal under pinning. I only own a shotgun, and I was really not keen on the idea of shooting so close to the house but I figured I needed to see if anything could be done. I had some 00 buckshot, some 6 shot for dove, and some #2 steel shot left over from a long ago duck hunt, so I loaded up the 2 shot. I turned on all the outside flood lights which are every side of the house, and went out the back door, not expecting to get a clear shot. I peeked around the side towards the front corner of the house and didn't see him. I figured he was digging by one of his old holes that was full of water in the bushes up next to the front of the house. I started to swing wide around (I didn't want to come face-to-face with him when I came around the corner,) when I saw him running from out of the dark towards the house with his tail straight up in the air. Looking back, I figure that when I turned on the lights it scared him and he ran off into the darkness. He must have heard me when stepped on one of the many pecan branches that have fallen, and was running back to the safety of his "home". I waited until he cleared the carport and the propane tank and got him about four feet from the edge of the house.

An annoyance eliminated, but I kind of admired that skunk. He went about his business and completely ignored us. I guess when he smelled up the house he was just warning off one of the many varmints that would like to make their home under there. The day we shared space in the barn I never smelled a hint of him. I've seen the life leave both humans and animals, and it's always sad. But sometimes necessary. I'm not the kind that would trap and relocate a wild animal. But even if I were, I don't know how you would accomplish that with a skunk.

2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry you had to shoot him.

I caught one that was digging under my deck a few years ago with a Havahart trap...

[​IMG]

We used a can of cat food as bait, and let him go in a local park.

3. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

I would think that he would spray when you approached the cage. I hope you didn't transport him in an enclosed vehicle. My truck is currently torn apart, so we only have my wife's car. I would hate to have to ride with him in there.

4. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Well, he didn't.

We put an old blanket over the cage and he settled down just fine in the back of my SUV.

5. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

Wow, I had no idea. It took a lot of nerve to try that.

6. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

I had to dispatch a skunk on my back porch a while back that was about to get into it with my two dogs. Last thing I want to have to clean up is a couple of skunked up dogs. And I am pretty sure nature isn't going to miss one skunk.

7. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

I've had to clean up three skunked up dogs before. I learned a lot by that experience, and I hope I never have to deal with it again.

8. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Have had problems with a Possum lately. Neighbor lady has a shed with a hole in the floor and they like to nest there and then come over to my place for foraging and water from our pool. Our dogs go ballistic when they go outside and catch the scent. Bought a trap like the one above and asked the neighbor to set it up in her shed. She caught a Cat; which wasn't too happy when she let it out. Now she doesn't want to use the trap, so I've been setting it up along the side of my house where they go. Nothing so far. I suspect the cat spread the word . The wildlife society won't take them so I'll probably make a run to the river and let it go near there.

9. THRASHOCASTER

THRASHOCASTER Tele-Meister

Bummer, Norton. Skunks can be very territorial. The fact that he skunked up the place tells me he felt threatened by something else. Something ELSE to worry about. Hope it's not an armadillo. I just found out those things carry the PLAGUE! Not every single one of course, but they can carry it, with no ill effects to themselves.

Even we guys who hunt, feel a twinge of remorse, when an animal dies. If you don't, there might be something wrong with you.

10. Drunkinminer

Drunkinminer Tele-Holic

I recently moved to the country from the city and haven't encountered anything like that yet though I have heard coyotes in the fields in the area a few times and the Barn Dog has barked a couple times at night (she dosen't bark very often and for no reason). But a gun may be in the future for such times.

11. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Your heartwarming story of survival against insurmountable odds has inspired me to dispatch with extreme prejudice, the feral male cat who has been stinking up my yard and tormenting my dog. Cat tacos on Saturday night for sure!

12. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

We trap and relocate skunks. Once they're in the cage, they get bored and fall asleep. The cage doesn't allow enough room for them to raise their tail up in order to spray, so there's no trouble with that. They were a serious enough pest problem a couple of years ago that I would have liked to have shot a few, but both the city and state would frown on that.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  13. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

Actually, they carry leprosy. Rodents usually are the plague carriers.

14. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Dont forget mankind . .The biggest pest of all ,but the female of the species can sure fool you .:lol:

15. BruceF

BruceF Tele-Meister

16. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Springer Spaniel that was my bird hunting partner for years. When he was a pup, I took him pheasant hunting with a friend and his dog. We got to some soy bean field edges he started acting strange. He went down in this ditch and about 50 ft down the ditch he came back up and about 10 ft in front of him was a skunk.
    Well, as everyone knows, the way that dogs identify is by sticking their nose in the butt of the other animal. When he tried that the skunk let loose. He yelped and ran back to me and went on heel.
    It took two months to get the stink out of his fur. I had him shaved and bathed even.
    When I brought him in, the woman who was grooming him asked me if I had killed the skunk. I said no. She said, "Too bad. Skunks are nocturnal and if they are out during the day they are most likely ill with rabies or some other disease. If you see them at either night or day, you should pop them. They carry loads of communicable diseases."
    I told her that my dog had not touched the skunk and it hadn't attacked other than to spray.
    Later, I was telling my buddy about this, and he said, "Yeah, not only do they carry diseases, but they also, along with Coyotes, racoons, and foxes, eat all of the grouse and pheasant eggs. They are wiping out the species in some areas."
    You more than likely did your family and the skunk a big favor.

17. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

Do you have something to say or are just being funny?

18. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

yes

19. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

I knew it.

20. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Cat tacos are quite tasty, marinate the meat in some fajita marinate, or some lime juice and garlic if you can't find any, grill over hardwood charcoal...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.