Had to have my truck towed last night

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Very typical of a failing fuel pump. They can act up for months before finally failing completely. One of the tricks was to bang on the gas tank for shake the vehicle really hard to try and revive the pump....often works....for awhile.

The thing about in-tank fuel pumps is that the only thing that keeps them cool, is being submerged in fuel. This is why it is so important to make sure you never go below a 1/4 tank, especially if you drive over steep hills. Keep those pumps cool and they last a very long time.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Very typical of a failing fuel pump. They can act up for months before finally failing completely. One of the tricks was to bang on the gas tank for shake the vehicle really hard to try and revive the pump....often works....for awhile.

The thing about in-tank fuel pumps is that the only thing that keeps them cool, is being submerged in fuel. This is why it is so important to make sure you never go below a 1/4 tank, especially if you drive over steep hills. Keep those pumps cool and they last a very long time.
I've been following this line of reasoning, with electric fuel pumps, for quite a while now. I'm not letting the tank get as low as I once would have and further, I like a regular treatment with Lucas fuel treatment because I think this mediates the stress on these pumps. These alcohols are tough, I think, on the plasticizers in these pumps and they're mostly plastic these days.

Not much fun having seven vehicles and needing them all to have mostly filled tanks. But there are few jobs more miserable than replacing these in tank pumps.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I've been following this line of reasoning, with electric fuel pumps, for quite a while now. I'm not letting the tank get as low as I once would have and further, I like a regular treatment with Lucas fuel treatment because I think this mediates the stress on these pumps. These alcohols are tough, I think, on the plasticizers in these pumps and they're mostly plastic these days.

Not much fun having seven vehicles and needing them all to have mostly filled tanks. But there are few jobs more miserable than replacing these in tank pumps.
You are not wrong regarding the stress of the fuel these days. Fuel contains more additives now than ever and many of them are pretty harsh on components. I do like Lucas products, but their fuel additive can be pretty harsh on injectors and valves in my experience. I still use their product if fuel has sat greater than a few weeks as modern fuels will start to varnish in only 3 weeks....again, do to all the additives.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
sounds like it might be the crankshaft position sensor.

TLDR :D

But I do appreciate those who pay close attention... :rolleyes:

The "plasticizers" (Or plasticizing effect/result) would of course be in/from the fuel, not in the pump. And one must be careful not to add more with additives... not specifically busting on Lucas, who's products are generally upper tier quality.

There's a lot of misunderstanding about E10, E15 and beyond blends, and trouble lurks below the surface of what may appear to be somewhat of a solution.
I see/hear a persistent misunderstanding of the basic stoichiometry for example...

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
big brother dry run ......file under Davos gone wild !

Thank you for your opinion.

canstockphoto62996437.jpg