Had to have my truck towed last night

wacolo

Tele-Afflicted
Made a stop on the way home. In and out in literally under a minute. Get in, truck won't start. Try again. Am I in park? Jiggle the gear shift. Foot on the brake. Foot off the brake. Check under the hood at the usual suspects. Nothing. Get back in try everything again. Nice lady offers me a boost. I have really good jumper cables. Nothing. Have it towed to my mechanic. Tow truck driver gets in to load it on the rollback, he gets the same thing.

My mechanic calls me an hour ago and says it fired right up. Seems to be running great. Oh and we went ahead and changed the oil cause you were due.

facepalm-annoyed.gif

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
That sounds a lot like the problems I had with my old Chevy Sonic when its ECU was failing. I had it not crank or fail on the road several times and it quit working entirely and had to be replaced twice. I was glad to be rid of it last year.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
My 2 Cents:

Electronic issue.
Like when a Tube Socket gets a small fracture and you get a Voltage Leak.
Something of that Nature is happening to your Truck.
When Cold, starts fine. After warming up, a crack in a component opens up enough to send Electrons where they shouldn't.
The Computer acts the way it was Programmed to.

Best of Luck with it.

posttoastie

Friend of Leo's
Did the starter turn over?
If so, it may be the fuel pump or evaporation device but this device usually triggers the CHECK engine light. The car may start sometimes and may not other times. You can try to hit around the fuel pump area and jump up and down on the truck to try and free up the evaporator(which maintains proper fuel tank pressure and the venting of gas fumes).

Last edited:

wacolo

Tele-Afflicted
2008 F150. Everything on the dash lit up as normal with the key in, but not so much as a click. No check engine light. I have had the truck going on 8 years and have never replaced the starter, so it might be worth spending an afternoon on that.

Part of me feels pretty stupid and the other part wonders if/when it will happen again. I imagine it would be pretty hard it to track down something intermittent.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
No click sounds like just the solenoid. But not even sure if these newer trucks have them or where it is.
The other possibility is the ignition switch. If it was the starter you'd still have the clik.
There seem to be more ignition switch failures now days than there ever used to be.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Sounds like you lost a ground somewhere on the ignition.

Modern vehicles are annoyingly complicated. We just had a rural carrier unable to get her Jeep to start. It drove in fine, but when she went to return to the route, it would only crank and not fire up. I tried to help her out and verified the pump was activating, but there was no spark. I ran over the usual suspects, but wasn't able to find the problem.

It was towed to the shop and the mechanic called back to say that the motor was almost completely out of oil and he suspects that the timing has jumped due to internal damage. Otherwise known as, your Jeep is toast.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Sounds like you lost a ground somewhere on the ignition.

Modern vehicles are annoyingly complicated. We just had a rural carrier unable to get her Jeep to start. It drove in fine, but when she went to return to the route, it would only crank and not fire up. I tried to help her out and verified the pump was activating, but there was no spark. I ran over the usual suspects, but wasn't able to find the problem.

It was towed to the shop and the mechanic called back to say that the motor was almost completely out of oil and he suspects that the timing has jumped due to internal damage. Otherwise known as, your Jeep is toast.
I can't remember how many times I've assisted people with car trouble and while it might not be the main issue, many of them had a drop of oil on the stick if not less. Bad enough the makers replaced oil pressure gauges with "idjit" lights, but many times they're ignored too.

loudboy

Tele-Holic
I had a Honda Civic with an intermittent headlight problem. Understandably, this was a real PITA, as it's tough to drive at night with no headlights.

Took it into the Honda dealership two times, they couldn't find it. The guy actually said, "I guess it's just one of those things."

Thanks, buddy.

Prairie Phoenix

TDPRI Member
I'm going to go along with a couple others here and strongly suspect the ignition switch is going out.
IME they have been pretty simple to replace.
That's actually one of the few things that hasn't failed on my '08 F150.

loco gringo

Tele-Afflicted
I had a Dodge pick up that would not start sometimes. It was new under warranty. I would drive somewhere, often 50 or 75 miles away, go indoors and do work stuff, then come out to find it wouldn't start. They would send a tow truck. When they got it back to the dealership it would start. This happened 4 or 5 times.

Finally, it wouldn't start when I came out of a customer's place about 3 miles from the dealership. I called and asked them to send a guy with a diagnostic computer over. They did. It was the fuel pump. They replaced it and it never happened again.