Had MRI = saw Crab Nebula?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stubee, May 19, 2011.

1. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

First off, MRI was for arthritic neck, nothing serious & just another step down the tedious doctor road. 2nd, I ain't crazy. This was a 6:15AM thing w. me laying in the tube relaxed with earplugs + headphones trying to play rock music over the pounding sounds of the MRI machine.

Eyes closed I noted a vision thing that I'll try to describe: a cloud formation forming in front of your eyes but really more like a nebula that would recede into the distance until it was just a point of light, then diminish & disappear, then repeat. Got my attention so I focused on the thing. It only happened during some sequences--the technician would say "OK, this is 3.5 minutes and will sound like a loud machine" etc. It repeated like a clock; you could count it off. It only happened during some of the sessions, the ones that were lengthy and more 'thrumming' than 'jackhammer'.

I do pay attention to science + worked tertiary to the sciences for decades + have some knowledge of medical science/biochemistry etc. but this was a new one. Did a quick search on the subject and got nothing. Thinking the magnetic field was affecting something but unsure if retinal fluids or similar or nerve pathways or what. Any ideas?

It did make the 30 minutes go faster.

2. Doorlord

Doorlord Tele-Holic

I had an MRI about a month ago. Reminded me of "Welcome to the Machine".

3. megafiddle

megafiddle Former Member

I see somewhat similar patterns sometimes.
    Just kind of cloudy shapes that appear and fade away at very regular intervals.
    That sounds very similar. Each cycle takes a few seconds, maybe around 5 sec.

There is also synaesthesia, which some of us have to varying degrees. This is
    a cross-perception, seeing sounds, for example. But the visual perceptions are
    synchronized or correlated to the sound, and don't usually have their own rhythem.

4. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

Interesting.

While not an MRI, I had cataract surgery on both eyes in the past several months. The procedure is painless, but the light show one experiences during the operation is just like 2001: A Space Odyssey .. you know ... the psychedelic sequence in the flick.

5. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

I read an article many years ago about research into brain function and magnetic fields. They found some people's senses are affected. They think that with the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis, if you will) might cause some people to experience the feeling of being in the presence of a spirit, aliens or angels. Maybe this is along that line.

Now I kind of want an MRI but hope I never need one.

6. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

I like it when the low frequencies make the whole apparatus seem to move. If only they would go ahead and add a voice coil and speaker cone...then it would really be cool.

7. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Well these are powerful magnetic fields so in some cases it would be like a "Kinder, gentler" form of electroshock, inducing mild epilepsy like artifacts.

Better Crab Nebula than "Fire and Rain" I would think.

8. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

Just had an MRI (my 3rd), and had a minor panic attack just getting on the darn table.

I was claustrophobic as a kid, and it has revistited 10 fold in my 5th decade. Really embarrassing.

9. Flamenco Kid

Flamenco Kid Tele-Meister

The Twilight Zone

10. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

I had the brain MRI last year.
    The findings were that the condition of my brain was "not remarkable".
    Duh. Tell me something I don't already know.

11. Jay Isler

Jay Isler Tele-Meister

I went to have my second MRI about a month ago and had a very weird situation. As soon as they started the scan, it felt like an electrical current was passing through my body; kind of like being shocked. It was so uncomfortable that I hit the "panic button" and they stopped the scan. When I told my doctor about it, he just gave me a script for Valium and sent me back. I still have not done it yet.

12. weeladdie

weeladdie Tele-Meister

I see stuff like this anytime I'm in the dark, don't have to be getting an MRI!

The diminishing point reminds me of the iris of my eye, so it may have some physical source.

Makes it entertaining when I settle down to go to sleep... ;-)

13. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

The powerful magnetic fields cause your brain to make you see things. Last time, I saw ghosts...which is just great if you're already claustrophobic. :eek:

14. bigrinwv

bigrinwv Tele-Meister

I had an MRI a month ago for a wrist injury. I'm not claustrophobic, not prone to any kind of paranoia but about half way through the test I got very hot and sweaty and felt like I couldn't breathe. I had to push the panic button, I thought I was going to puke.

I came back the next day under the same conditions, no drugs, no nothing and had no problems. The tech said that each test is different and that the magnet doesn't affect any two people the same and can be different each time for the same person. I did not know that.

Off subject a bit but related, I had a sonogram today and found out (confirmed) that I was born with only one kidney.

15. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Going off to bed now so maybe I'll keep the light on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.