1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Had Corned Beef for dinner last night.....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ironwolf, Mar 18, 2019.

1. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not Irish, but the neighbor gave me some "Blarney Stones".

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  2. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

We went to a great local Mexican place that featured Chile Verde (get it?) for $9 a plate, $2 domestic pints, and $3 craft pints. Awesome eats and plenty o' leftovers.

nojazzhere and DrPepper like this.
  3. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I had a Lebanon-bologna sandwich. Yesterday was my birthday, I'm now qualified for the first Social Security step (62, but I'm waiting for 67). I've pretty much had my fill of faux Irish tradition over the years. Green birthday cakes, green gifts, leprechaun-themed cards, corned beef 'n' cabbage, etc., etc.

We usually buy brisket on sale sometime over the next few weeks.

4. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Great link, thanks.

The Reuben, IMO, is the highest and best use of corned beef or pastrami. Our Reubens are always grilled - I gotta have that buttery crunch in the rye bread. Plus it melts the cheese and heats the meat/sauerkraut.

And for those who had tough corned beef; I've found a great deal of variation in what's available. I've found some tough ones too. The ones done from brisket seem more likely to be tender, and even then you need to carefully select. My wife is definitely developing a nose for the good ones and of course she's buying them from a legit meat market - not whatever's on the shelf at the grocery store.

Now I'm hungry.....

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Yep, had corned beef and cabbage last night too. Love that stuff. Got a real good corned beef this time. Last year it was way too much fat.
    Interestingly we ran low on water in the pan at the end after 3.5 hours and adding water along the way. Almost burned! I actually liked it without much broth for a change though. I may try that next year but not cut it so close.
    One recipe I've seen says to take it out near the end and bake it in the oven for 15 mins. That may be about the same as ours turned out.

6. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Saturday night, had some friends over. We did corned beef in the crock pot. Came out ok. Guests liked it, so all's good. I also made some guiness bread from a package from Aldi. That was awesome. Sometimes it's the simple things, dig?

EDIT: We actually only did water, a bottle of guiness, and the spice packet. No stock/broth. Came out ok, but I was a little skeptical it wouldn't. I still think I will add stock next time.

7. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I had a Shepherds Pie and a lamb stew that were unexpectedly good. Truth be told I had forgotten it was st Patrick’s day until I heard the specials at the restaurant that my wife and I took my mother in law to. It was a happy accident.

8. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

The last corned beef brisket I cooked was so salty it was horrible. I was actually shocked at the first bite.
    I looked around for what went wrong, but concluded that for whatever reason the brine was just far too salty.
    Haven’t had any since.

9. 392Hemi

392Hemi Tele-Meister

Corned beef and cabbage with carrots cooked in beer. Dijon mustard, Red Breast 12yr Old Irish Whisky. No potatoes yesterday. Breakfast today Corned beef hash from left overs. Potatoes cooked yesterday will be in the hash. No beer going out on my motorcycle, an IPA when I get home.

Nickadermis likes this.
  10. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My Ma was born and raised in Cork City.
    She never had corned beef and cabbage until she moved to NYC.
    It was always ham and cabbage.

I make ham and cabbage about 4x a year.

nojazzhere and Rufus like this.
  11. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I have been hit with unusually severe allergies since it stopped raining about a week ago. My nostrils feel like I just had a heavy dose of your horseradish sauce. It's a hurting.

12. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

I've never, ever heard of any Irish person in Ireland or the UK eating corned beef and cabbage. If it's traditional, it's an American tradition. Most people this side of the pond regard corned beef as war food.

Boiled bacon and cabbage, now that is Irish and traditional.

getbent likes this.
  13. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

We had 60 people over on Sunday. I started cooking the corned beefs on Thursday -ultimately made 13 corned beef, 15lbs of potatoes, 5 heads of cabbage, 3 cabbages worth of cole slaw, and my wife baked 5 soda breads, 2 oatmeal breads, and 2 cinnamon nut cakes. 3 cases of Guinness, 2 of Harp, plus a case of local red wine and 2 cases of whites from the place I work at (gewürztraminer and grüner veltliner) made for a satisfying party. (The gewürz goes REALLY well with corned beef...)

dkmw likes this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

In the link I posted above, it mentions that corned beef was NOT an Irish tradition.....until the Irish came to New York City and were introduced to the Jewish Deli's.
    AND...all this talk of corned beef and pastrami made me go to Jason's Deli for lunch, and got a Pastrami and Swiss on French roll with Russian dressing.....and a small jalapeno I had leftover at home ....Texas flair!

teletimetx and Nickadermis like this.
  15. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Lady loves it but to me it's repulsive. I'll take a polish bigos over it any day.

getbent likes this.
  16. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Saving the corned beef and cabbage for Cinco de Mayo?

Random1643, Rufus and RetroTeleRod like this.
  17. Feargal

Feargal Tele-Holic

Bacon and cabbage is the tradition here, though I do like a bit of corned beef. In Cork there is a traditional spiced beef that's similar to pastrami, it's usually cooked at Christmas.

18. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

we need to talk about Reubens someday. I love them.

19. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I made corned beef; over here in Holland you can't buy a corned beef brisket. So I made my own, using some pickling spices and "Coloroso" salt, which is salt with 6% nitrite. Brined the meat for 6 days, leached in clear water overnight. Braised in Guiness. It was great, but again (this is my second try in 15 years) WAY too salty. I think I will try again soon, with a lower-concentration pickling solution, for 4 days instead of 6, and a more vigorous leaching process.

20. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

6 pack and a potato!

rickthescot likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.