Had a great walk this morning

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Not worth a photo but a couple miles with the dog. I live near a large park (mostly baseball and soccer fields and a large football stadium), but it has lots of pathways to go. When I was younger, I ran there every day; usually 3 - 6 miles and loved it. As I got older I quit running and even walking. Used a treadmill and indoor equipment to exercise. Since my wife passed I have started walking with my dog every day; usually twice, just to get out of the house. It started with the block; hard for both of us (He's 14 and I'm 74). We advanced to a couple blocks and today we did about a 3 mile walk to and from and around the park. Luckily it has been a mild winter with only a few bad days. The last few have been Fall/Spring like and both of us have really enjoyed the walks. Walking the park makes me remember why I use to love running there so much. Probably won't start running but the walks sure are enjoyable and very relaxing.

Cold front coming through this evening. It will be windy and a bit brisk, but unless it rains we will at least do the blocks. The dog really enjoys it, if the poop I have to pick up is any indicator.:)

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Not worth a photo but a couple miles with the dog. I live near a large park (mostly baseball and soccer fields and a large football stadium), but it has lots of pathways to go. When I was younger, I ran there every day; usually 3 - 6 miles and loved it. As I got older I quit running and even walking. Used a treadmill and indoor equipment to exercise. Since my wife passed I have started walking with my dog every day; usually twice, just to get out of the house. It started with the block; hard for both of us (He's 14 and I'm 74). We advanced to a couple blocks and today we did about a 3 mile walk to and from and around the park. Luckily it has been a mild winter with only a few bad days. The last few have been Fall/Spring like and both of us have really enjoyed the walks. Walking the park makes me remember why I use to love running there so much. Probably won't start running but the walks sure are enjoyable and very relaxing.

Cold front coming through this evening. It will be windy and a bit brisk, but unless it rains we will at least do the blocks. The dog really enjoys it, if the poop I have to pick up is any indicator.:)
That's great news. I've been hoping you're doing okay after the news of your wife passing away so this is comforting. The activity is super important no matter how but I think the getting out with the dog and air is some extra good medicine. IMO there's just breathing, balance, thoughts and imagination that are better than when I only get some exercise indoors.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
I think you'll both enjoy it, even more, as you regain fitness. :)

I have only one rule, for my daily walk- I never, ever miss a day. Doesn't have to be a long session- but it has to happen.
Today I only walked a couple of miles- but picked up all the litter, alongside the lane, behind my house. Most was recycling junk, blown around after a bad storm, in November and fast food wrappers. I had been meaning to tidy it all up, for weeks.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I think you'll both enjoy it, even more, as you regain fitness. :)

I have only one rule, for my daily walk- I never, ever miss a day. Doesn't have to be a long session- but it has to happen.
Today I only walked a couple of miles- but picked up all the litter, alongside the lane, behind my house. Most was recycling junk, blown around after a bad storm, in November and fast food wrappers. I had been meaning to tidy it all up, for weeks.

It is seldom that we miss our evening walk. Since we got Alex three years ago, we've only missed a few times. We take a bag along with us, pick up after Alex, and after the people who seemingly aren't able to find a trash can after their Taco Bell meal.

doof

Tele-Holic
I managed to make walking 3-4 miles a fairly regular thing, almost daily, starting last June, all the way till November when it got cold and snowy. Work has been steadily getting more and more stressful for me and I feel as though the walks really helped regulate my mood and keep me from getting too agitated during the day. The other benefit was dropping 10 lbs. We had a chinook come through and melt all the snow last week and it was +8 degrees C on Saturday, so I took the opportunity to go for an hour long walk. Happiest I've felt in weeks.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I made it out twice so far with Tiberias. It was freezing cold at 6:30 and still dark from overcast. I just got back from a walk around the block. It’s still freezing and windy but the sun is out. Tiberias likes to go out looking for her dog friends. This time she found our regular letter carrier and stopped to say hello and get a full body rub down. Tiberias and the letter carrier have become “friends”.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Walking does one a world of good. We try to get out a few times a week, even during winter. I get cranky if we get snow or cold.

It always amazes me how far I can walk. Not unusual to do 3-5 miles to run an errand or get a bite to eat.

I was recently in my hometown and did the walk to my old middle school. When I was a kid, it seemed miles away. Took me a whole 10 minutes as an adult.

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
I love to walk and am glad you’re getting out and enjoying it, telleutelleme. Having a dog does help; ours is bonkers about going anywhere with any of us.

I’ve been for laid up for nearly 5 weeks after a foot surgery so my walking has been just hobbling about a little bit, and man do I miss it. I take my dog for a mile+ walk every morning before breakfast and she’s of course ecstatic that I do such fun things with her, but I also do it to loosen up my arthritic joints. I am unbelievably stiff after all this idleness and can’t wait to get back into a real shoe!

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
In my past life as a rail mechanic I would walk 10-15 miles a day. The healthy lifestyle psychos gave up on us be cause we were quite active on the job. 5 years later after transplant I’m back up to about 2-3 miles a day. Not much but I do like to stretch my legs. Our community center has a 1/4 mile indoor track that is filled with seniors on any given day. Whoops I am one! Some of these guys and gals out walk me. I’ve gotta up my game.!

runstendt

Tele-Meister
It took me a long time to get into, but I've learned to really enjoy walks. Now my wife is concerned that I walk too much. I try to do a few miles every day, weather permitting. It's a great time to think, listen to a podcast or audiobook, or call a family member. Walks have become one of the highlights of my day.

rghill

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I was walking every morning 3.5 - 5 miles for the past 6 months. Since I have moved into a new place I need to find the trails nearby. I guess I could always drive, but its so much more convenient to have a trail right outside your door.

We have a nice trail system that follows the local wash. Great place to view wildlife and the occasional flood.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
For those of you near National Forests, never mind what the "Hiking Books" have to say and consider walking on old Forest Service Roads that are gated (either seasonally or virtually all the time). All the bramble and other "grow-up" stuff is down for the winter and there's generally fairly easy passage. We've had some big blows this month (especially in Polk County, TN) and foot trails are often blocked by downed trees. The old roads stay open better when lots of stuff is down. We did a road alongside "Little Fires Creek" in Clay County, NC on Friday - it was delightful. The maps show it changing from a road to a trail, but for us it was 6 of one, half dozen the other. Don't block the gate!

I love it when the snow has mostly melted, and you can discern Game Trails through woodlands than normally just look all grown over. These animals are not dumb - they develop some useful pathways. Yeah, my feet came out of it soaked and cold this morning's walk, but so what? :^)