Had a chance to play a Fender Pro Reverb.

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
Went to a local music store to have a look around...and spent about an hour with a Pro Reverb.

What a nice amplifier. The cleans are nice and sparkly with a bit more mids than I expected. Headroom is adequate for mixing in on stage. The Reverb, as you would expect is aces. In an iso room I was able to push the amp with Player series strat. Nice 3 band eq with some real sweep in all 3 pots. Goes from mildy scoopy sounding at low volumes to getting nice and honky at 'gigging volume'. The breakup comes on with high mid transients first, but the low end stays together fairly well. As the volume rolls up, the bark is chunky...more Super Reverb than DR. Starts getting into Bassman territory around 12 o'clock. Didn't push it beyond there...It was bitingly loud with solid bass response and speaker distortion, but not totally caving in on itself.

The vibrato is kinda fast unless you back it way down. But dialed in nicely with good sweep on the controls.

For $1499 its a bargain for a 40 watt legit stage amp. I guess the speaker is some kind of Neo Creamback. Not bad and the weight of the amp is definately on the low side for a 'stage amp'.

I am most likely gonna wrap it up and take it home in the next few days.

twangjeff

Tele-Afflicted
I'll bet you can get one for less than $1400, there doesn't seem to be much of a market for big amps these days. Pro Reverb is a killer amp. It basically is like you said a 2x12 Super Reverb with a few small tweaks. I'm sure you could find a silverface under a grand though.

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
I like a Twin but I am not a strat player these days so it's a different experience for you no doubt. With buckers the Pro went into breakup for me too soon and the tube rectifier gets pretty flubby at higher volume settings. I definitely disagree when people call them a "little twin" or something like that. Sounds like it might be a good fit for you though I would give a Super and a BF or drip edge SF bassman a serious look as well for that kind of money. I know good condition well serviced Supers can be found in Austin area for $1200, the drip edge bassman heads much less, $750-900. The Pro is rarer and usually commands a bit more money. I don't think you can really go wrong with a decent all tube Fender big iron amp!

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
It certainly ticks all the boxes for a traditional styled giggable Fender amp, possibly to be used with pedals. Even has a mids knob and you can use an external cab along with the built-in speaker.

However, it costs twice as much as it should. Compare it to, say, a Marshall or Fender's own Bassbreakers.

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
I think it's funny, actually.... For years on this forum, folks whined about how Fender discontinued the 1x12 Vibrolux, and didn't replace it with a blackface counterpart. People talked endlessly about how they wanted a 1x12, 40 watt with reverb and trem. Everybody said it'd be the perfect gigging amp! I, personally, whined about how I wish they had more amps with bias vary trem.

Fender comes out with it, and people complain about it.... LOL

Heck, they even made it lightweight for easy grab and go stuff, or easy load in at the gig.

I think if I can get along with that blackface tone, I might really, really dig this amp. I am looking forward to trying one.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
I think people are missing the fact that the OP is talking about a new model.

I bought one, but returned it. For me, it was a bit sterile and too punchy. I tried it through three different speakers/cabs. It seemed an otherwise nice amp--one channel, mid knob, fairly light. Other players who want that will be well pleased.

I bought a 68 Custom Vibrolux and am much happier.