Guys who use amp drive and ride the vol knob... what dirt pedal does that?

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I’m shocked nobody has yet suggested a Greer Lightspeed Organic Overdirve:
I churned through an uncountable number of OD pedals looking for precisely what the OP is looking for…most had something good about them but not THAT thing. My OCD was sort of in the ballpark but I heard more pedal than amp…my Timmy was significantly better, but not totally there….but once I tried the Lightspeed, my search was over. It sounds like whatever amp I use but more of it. It’s the most useful pedal I own.

The Lightspeed IS on my radar.... I've heard nothing but raves, even tho I've not seen a demo yet that convinced me to buy one.

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
So with a BD-2, I just take amp volume out of the equation, for OD/tone shaping, just use it for its volume ( set, where needed for the room, and of course, I want a great clean basic tone.

The Blues Driver let's say, with all controls at NOON, will sound like I don't even have an OD ON with my guitar Volume knob at half up ( so I just make sure amp is loud enough to exploit this dynamic),
then I just roll into a nice breakup turning up my guitar Volume.

I set Blues Driver Gain knob to how much distortion/sustain I really want to hear, when I actually turn guitar volume all the way up.

It is IMO, that good!

+1 for the humble blues driver. With guitar at 2/3's vol and with my amp clean I set the bd-2 gain to just at the theshold of breakup at parity. Then with the pedal off I do the same with the amp. That way with the guitar vol halfway I get clean sounds but when I dig in hard or crank the vol the attack quickly cascades into overdrive and distortion.
Putting some subtle tremolo in front of or in between the pedal and amp livens up the dynamics even more!

Lies&Distortion

Tele-Afflicted
Both Fuzzes went back. The Special Cranker is... special. Might be exactly what I'm looking for. It can do the "more amp" thing (which is more organic/less smooth than a normal OD pedal), and if you crank it it can be a fuzz as well. It actually reminds me of my old (now gone) SunFace NKT 275 Red Dot.

The SC will be staying for quite awhile. If I find nothing else that fits the bill, I think I'll be perfectly happy with it. I am still waiting on a Catalinbread Formula 55 (the 5F6 was really good too, but not voiced quite right for the Swart), a new One Control/BJFE Honey Bee, and the Effectrode Mercury Fuzz. Then I'll be finished, if one of those isn't any better than the Special Cranker, no worries. The SC is great, and for the price it's amazing.

Oh I also ordered an OD-3 on a lark. It'll be here today. Low expectations, but I've been reading about how "amp like" that one is for many years.
I wondered about the BOG FF mini. I have one but it doesn't get much use.

Thought about grabbing EQD SC.

My Formula 55 doesn't get much use either. Seems like I have to set everything else up to work with it.

How about the DOD OD-250? Special Cranker demos remind me a little of it's sounds.

SlimGrady

Tele-Meister
My go to for this is always a Greer Lightspeed. I use it when I cant get my Germino plexi up to breathing volume. Its great because it retains the punch that the Germino actually has rather than adding to much squish to the sound.

Grodad

Tele-Meister
So many options here but I was looking for the same thing, cleanable grit with the guitar volume knobs. My solution works for this, Caline Andes (which is a Timmy clone but with optional boost that can be switched before or after).Gain turned up high but volume low on pedal, to get extra ( optional) use the boost or the big muff that comes after it. My drive pedal is always on.
20220910_060856.jpg

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
The Caline Fuzzy Bear (silicon fuzz face) has become my almost always-on pedal. Can go from clean to vintage fuzz to obnoxious doomy fuzz with the guitar volume knob.

Plus it has a bear on it- wearing a cowboy hat- with a pair of revolvers. That's just cool!! I'd leave it on my board even if it were terrible.:lol:

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
I have a Timmy, it's great but it doesn't do this, even in the "no clipping" position. I also have a Klon (Mythical Overdrive), and it does not mate well with the AST at all, IMO.

Actually, regarding SAG: I think that's what I'm trying to AVOID. that's what all drive pedals do: add sag. More sag than the amp has even when cranked up some. I think I'm looking for dirt withOUT (or with very little) sag.

This video of the Mercury Fuzz does a good job of demonstrating this, I think:

Well, there is your answer.....

rjtwangs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My always on pedal when I play a gig. It's all I need and I do ride my volume and tone controls. It's as transparent an overdrive as you'll find...
20200124_092418.jpg

RJ
P.S. I also use a Swart AST, and it loves my Mythical Overdrive. I use it with the reverb and tremolo in the amp and I get a glorious crunch!!! ymmv...
20190224_231341.jpg

Last edited:

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
My Mythical (I got the "Vintage Mod" version) does not play well with my Swart AST. I find it (the Mythical) to be very picky about the amps it is joined with.

So far, I'm really enjoying the Special Cranker. The Formula 55 should be here in a couple days. Next up will be the new One Control/BJFE Honey Bee Standard (the new mini 4K version), and maybe a Greer Lightspeed- still doing research on that one.

And I will get the Effectrode Mercury Fuzz, I just don't want too many pedals at once to sort through, so I'm going 2-3 at a time. Reining champion: Special Cranker.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I’m not sure how transparent it is, but there is pedal designed to respond to your playing dynamics. The Boss DN-2 Dyna Drive is designed to respond to your pick attack and guitar volume. It’s discontinued, but easily found used.

It might do what you want as far as playing the amp at lower volume, but it is likely to color the sound a bit. The harder you play the more distortion you get. Lighten up your touch, and it cleans up.

The Boss OD-3 is pretty transparent and will push an amp into early overdrive as well. It’s the most amp like OD pedal I have. It’s asymmetrical clipping sounds much more tube like to my ears.

SlimGrady

Tele-Meister
My Mythical (I got the "Vintage Mod" version) does not play well with my Swart AST. I find it (the Mythical) to be very picky about the amps it is joined with.

So far, I'm really enjoying the Special Cranker. The Formula 55 should be here in a couple days. Next up will be the new One Control/BJFE Honey Bee Standard (the new mini 4K version), and maybe a Greer Lightspeed- still doing research on that one.

And I will get the Effectrode Mercury Fuzz, I just don't want too many pedals at once to sort through, so I'm going 2-3 at a time. Reining champion: Special Cranker.
Give the Lightspeed a try it has the stuff. Stays punchy like an amp.

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
Cranked with a volume knob is the only way I play these days, and the Barber Direct Drive was the ticket for me. I could use it into a Twin and easily sub for my JCM800, DSL20H (cranked all the way on the clean channel) and my newer Quilter 202. Identical? No. Marshally? Yes. Volume-knob friendly? Absolutely. It actually beat out a couple of the big MIAB guys that the store staff (actually pretty nice) told me were the hot pedals to have. I can't remember what I paid, but it was cheaper than the hot pedals - all of them were used.

Honorary mention to the BD-2 and OD-3, both of which I own. They both (they're related) work well with the volume knowb, but also have an aggression to the upper mids that just isn't what I'm looking for right now. It's kind of a Boss dirt pedal characteristic to my ear. BD-2 was right for a punk band I was in for a few years though.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
I've used a Soul Food for many years for this purpose - I like the sound of my guitars and amps, but there are times I want a little "extra"

But - the Soul Food recently got replaced by a "Ghost" pedal I built - it's a clone of the Klon

The Ghost (or Klon) is a great pedal for the player who uses the volume control to vary the tone - it works especially well for this if you are running a single-channel amp where you don't have separate "rhythm" and "lead" channels

paulblackford

Tele-Afflicted
They stopped producing this? ll I see on the site is a Disnortion with a different box, but it seems to be a different build too.
Yeah, the Aria is pretty much a used market item. I think they're a little too amused by their own Pigtronix 'snort' joke added to things. I think (my own theory, of course) that calling it the "Aria Disnortion" kept people from checking out a really nice overdrive. As an example of this kind of behavior, the one on their site now, the "Disnortion" that you saw, is actually a fuzz. They should probably just drop the Di-snort-ion joke, anyway, as it isn't clever, or funny, but misleading.