Guys who use amp drive and ride the vol knob... what dirt pedal does that?

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
This is the only pedal I use any more: ModTone Dirty Duo overdrive.
1662035293533.png

2 distinctly different flavors of dirt - Tube Screamer-ish on the right, and hard rockin' Hellzapoppin' on the left.
And you can stack 'em for a really outrageous level of OD. Very nice!
I've had mine for a couple years now and it has never failed me. Built like a Russian truck.
The one pictured here is on Reverb right now for $79 plus shipping, and it seems to be in great condition.
ModTone is out of business and these will be really hard to find soon, so if you want one ...

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
I've used a Boss Blues Driver for 15+ years now, always ON into clean combo amps.

I've just never been in a band situation where I could 'crank the amp get it to overdrive' - either too loud or just did not sound good.

So with a BD-2, I just take amp volume out of the equation, for OD/tone shaping, just use it for its volume ( set, where needed for the room, and of course, I want a great clean basic tone.

The Blues Driver let's say, with all controls at NOON, will sound like I don't even have an OD ON with my guitar Volume knob at half up ( so I just make sure amp is loud enough to exploit this dynamic),
then I just roll into a nice breakup turning up my guitar Volume.

I set Blues Driver Gain knob to how much distortion/sustain I really want to hear, when I actually turn guitar volume all the way up.

It is IMO, that good!

Platefire

Friend of Leo's
From my experience, ever since I got my first fuzz pedal in the late 60's up to now being a big TS man, I've been doing that. I set my pedal at the max blow out dirt I want and then just roll back the guitar volume down to different stages of grit to almost clean. Oldest trick in the dirt pedal world:>)

CalebAaron666

Tele-Holic
I might be wrong, but I think the Fluid Drive is a tweaked Timmy. I've known Tavo for a long time, and I know his favorite drive for the Gretsch hollowbodies was always a Tim/Timmy. I have a Timmy, it's the only reason I haven't tried the Fluid Drive. But I might someday, Tavo has a great ear.
That could be the case.
I have a few of Tavo’s pedals. My Mystery Brain is pretty much always on.
I had the Detroit Casket version of the Fluid Drive, but sold it. It wasn’t long before I bought another to replace it.
I like it a lot, and I use it a lot it. Especially if I have to keep my amp volume below 3, it comes in very handy in those situations. If I’m playing my amp full volume, I only use it for a lil’ boost.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Something that could wreck a bunch of pre stages? Maybe natural preamp overdrive? Like a full trace of a JCM 800 preamp section, gain high with 2 12AX7, 4 stages? But at inside volume so you could get that tone through a reasonably small amp in a small room?
Does such a thing exist?
1662087673619.jpeg

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
My Fulltone OCD is the one dirt pedal that really has a tube amp like response to the guitar‘s volume control.

The Boss OD3 is also good for mid levels of natural amp like dirt and you can ride it with the volume control.
Another vote for the OD-3 (It’s one of the most tubelike ODs I have heard) or an EQ pedal with a volume control, or a clean boost.

Chester Burnett

Tele-Holic
I've found that the Bearfoot Arctic White Fuzz is excellent for this type of playing. Even though it's a fuzz, the gain knob goes from low and medium gain drive at the lower end of the dial,to fuzz at the higher end of the dial. It's very sensitive to the guitar volume and pick attack. The wide sweep of the dial makes it work with a variety of amps at different volume levels. The amount of drive you need will be dependent on how hard your pushing the amp. EFF is a deceptive pedal. It looks simplenut it's very versatile. It's often described as a fuzz for people who don't like fuzz.

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
I rarely get a chance to crank my 5E3 pro-luxe and usually have some kind of dirt engaged. I was recently gifted a Box of Rock copy and say +1 to the Distortron recommendations. The BoR/Distortron excels at that sort of thing. I also like the OD250, Blues Breaker v1, and a couple of modded SD-1s. One other I was recently impressed with is the EQD Special Cranker, which I believe was created for your app.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
If the Swart amp is mid rich you consider a TWE-1 as it cleans up extremely well, like, Fuzz Face level cleanup. It has loads of EQ settings to tailor it to any amp. Can run in the loop as a preamp too…

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
It might be a little of a left turn from your rig but I do it splendidly with a Strymon Iridium on the hotter Marshall (Punch) settings and a BBE Boosta Grande Mini out front.

It's truly a full cranked Marshall sound, it just doesn't come from an amp. I play through headphones or a powered monitor at TV volumes without complaint from the neighbors downstairs.

telefan62

Tele-Meister
I’m shocked nobody has yet suggested a Greer Lightspeed Organic Overdirve:
I churned through an uncountable number of OD pedals looking for precisely what the OP is looking for…most had something good about them but not THAT thing. My OCD was sort of in the ballpark but I heard more pedal than amp…my Timmy was significantly better, but not totally there….but once I tried the Lightspeed, my search was over. It sounds like whatever amp I use but more of it. It’s the most useful pedal I own.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
I've found that the Bearfoot Arctic White Fuzz is excellent for this type of playing. Even though it's a fuzz, the gain knob goes from low and medium gain drive at the lower end of the dial,to fuzz at the higher end of the dial. It's very sensitive to the guitar volume and pick attack.

Nice pedal. I've found that most of the BJFE/Bearfoot dirt pedals clean up really well with the guitar volume.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
How did it work out?

Both Fuzzes went back. The Special Cranker is... special. Might be exactly what I'm looking for. It can do the "more amp" thing (which is more organic/less smooth than a normal OD pedal), and if you crank it it can be a fuzz as well. It actually reminds me of my old (now gone) SunFace NKT 275 Red Dot.

The SC will be staying for quite awhile. If I find nothing else that fits the bill, I think I'll be perfectly happy with it. I am still waiting on a Catalinbread Formula 55 (the 5F6 was really good too, but not voiced quite right for the Swart), a new One Control/BJFE Honey Bee, and the Effectrode Mercury Fuzz. Then I'll be finished, if one of those isn't any better than the Special Cranker, no worries. The SC is great, and for the price it's amazing.

Oh I also ordered an OD-3 on a lark. It'll be here today. Low expectations, but I've been reading about how "amp like" that one is for many years.