Guys That Just Make You Want to Put Your Guitar Down

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Phrygian77, May 19, 2019.

1. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

There are no guys that make me want to put my guitar(s) down... never have been, never will be. Always the opposite.

2. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I can't watch Clapton. Makes it look too easy.

3. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

the pedal steel guys!

what it does to the songs!

that sound is just the ultimate!

4. Heathfinn

Heathfinn TDPRI Member

John Fahey, Leo Kottke, Roy Buchanan

5. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

Basically every guitarist working at a bar in downtown Nashville on a weekday.

There was one guy in particular at Robert’s western world (I think) A couple of years ago who did some of the coolest polyrhythmic stuff. Seemed to crack the space time continuum. Didn’t catch his name. Couldn’t pick him out of a lineup. Shook his hand and heaped praises on him as I was walking out though.

6. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nobody. I play for my own enjoyment, and don't concern myself with how much better than me everyone else is. I'm too busy trying to be better than I was, as my own playing often frustrates me.

I will say that Bill Frisell is underappreciated for his sheer musicality. Saw him live once, and he played a large number of jazz standards that night. It was on either Someday My Prince Will Come or Somewhere Over The Rainbow that he did something I seldom hear anyone do. He played chorus after chorus and he NEVER lost the melody. Yeah, he re-worked it 10,000 different ways, turned it upside down and inside out, but he never, ever lost the melody. It was astonishing.

7. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

I was just watching that vid of Dave Edmunds watching Albert Lee go nuts on "Sweet Little Lisa" last week. The whole "Born Fighters" doc about Rockpile from 1979 is great. One of my fave in-studio docs. Not many have made better music than Edmunds and Lowe (not to mention Billy Bremner) were making back then.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.